A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do before opening an Etsy shop.  (Read 11570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anjalouise
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006 12:44:43 PM »

I think the most important thing is make sure you have GOOD photos of your items! If your camera kind of sucks (like mine), make sure you have a decent picture editing program so that you can crop your pictures, and adjust the lighting/constrast/colour balances. That stuff is super easy to do, you don't need to be a photoshop guru or anything to figure it out.

I would say have about 10 items to list all at once at first, and then add items as you go. I've found that my shop gets a lot of views when I add a new item, so sometimes it is a good idea to stagger the times when you're adding things so that you keep getting views from the "recently updated" section. I just realized that a few other people already said this, but it's true!

Make a banner for your shop, and then once you do you can advertise your shop! If you have an online journal, you can post it there, or have friends post it on theirs too. It definitely makes people more likely to visit your shop if there is an image rather than just a hyperlink.

etsy is so easy to use and fun, I hope your shop does well! Let us know when you put it up so we can all check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://clevernettle.etsy.com

handmade curiosities since 1805

livejournal
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006 12:28:40 PM »

one thing that took me a bit to get a hang on was photographing...
i used to have to tweak my stuff a good deal in photoshop to get them looking decent. then i finally started taking photos of my stuff outside and WOW! what a difference! it's so much easier and everything is crisper and i don't end up tweaking brightness / contrast or colors at all.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wahm
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006 10:11:42 AM »

What if I was looking for a 'partner' to open up a shop with? Where can I find someone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006 12:08:00 PM »

hmmm... i'm confused on this.  why would you want an etsy shop partner unless it's someone you already know and / or work with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirrelbeard
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008 08:34:05 PM »

Hi, everybody!

For the past few hours I've been reading up on the aspects of opening a business and selling on etsy, but I have a few more questions I wasn't able to really find. (And if there is some link somewhere, I'll gladly take it, I'd hate to be a bother to everyone!) Sorry if these have been asked before, I really tried to make sure I had searched everywhere first!

1. So how long did you take to prepare for opening shop? I mean, did you take a few days, a few weeks, a month, or maybe longer?

2. About how many items did you open with? Did you start with only a few to test the waters, or did you have several to attract more people?

3. Do crocheted items generally sell okay? (I sell and crochet, and I wasn't sure whether I should add crocheted hats and other goodies to the mix because I'm not sure the demand is all that great.)

Thank you so much for all your help! This is such a great community full of great advice!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008 08:17:00 AM »

1. So how long did you take to prepare for opening shop? I mean, did you take a few days, a few weeks, a month, or maybe longer?

***I was told about Etsy by a friend that saw it on a TV show.  A few days later, I checked it out and browsed around and made an account that same day.  About a week later, after I had made a few cellphone charms, I opened a storefront, listed about 5 items and got to posting and promoting!  I listed an item or 2 each day, renewed items, etc. and so here I am!  Basically, it took me a week to get up and running as my items I was selling are small and take little time to make.

2. About how many items did you open with? Did you start with only a few to test the waters, or did you have several to attract more people?

***As stated above, I opened with very few items...still don't have too many now!  I have had a few sales, so I have been listing more items to replenish those that have sold, and I keep renewing items at least 2-3 times a week if I do not list brand new stuff.  Etsy is odd in the way their searches go, they are organized by date listed...so the newest listed stuff that matches your search terms is what appears at the top...this is why people keep renewing stuff, to get it to the top of the lists!

3. Do crocheted items generally sell okay? (I sell and crochet, and I wasn't sure whether I should add crocheted hats and other goodies to the mix because I'm not sure the demand is all that great.)

***I don't really know anything about crochet...nor do I know HOW to crochet!  LOL!  Hopefully someone can help you out on this one.

And most importantly...Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
squirrelbeard
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008 07:45:39 AM »

Ah, thank you so much for your help! That definitely gave me a better aspect on what I should expect and do! Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008 11:44:08 AM »

I already had my own website when I opened my etsy shop. If you're starting brand new I'd recommend having at least 5 - 10 items ready to go in your shop. An empty shop is a big turn off for many buyers. You don't have to list them all at once, but aim to get a bunch up in your first week.

It may take a while before you start selling, it could be instant but it may take a month or even longer. It depends on how much work you put in to getting your items seen and your name out there.

As for crochet items, there is a fun tool called "Pounce" in the etsy buy seciont that lets you see what has been recently sold. You can also browse by category to see what's available for sale - this might help you figure things out.

Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.com - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.blogspot.com
squirrelbeard
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008 06:43:03 PM »

Thank you DsgndbyRJ!

I've never thought about using Pounce to check, that's an AWESOME idea! Thank you so much for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
enakitty
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008 06:10:13 AM »

Hi, everybody!

For the past few hours I've been reading up on the aspects of opening a business and selling on etsy, but I have a few more questions I wasn't able to really find. (And if there is some link somewhere, I'll gladly take it, I'd hate to be a bother to everyone!) Sorry if these have been asked before, I really tried to make sure I had searched everywhere first!

Thank you so much for all your help! This is such a great community full of great advice!

1. It's been awhile...but as I recall I just kinda jumped in!  I think I looked around a bit and did some thinking about the look of my shop, etc...probably just a couple days.

2. When I opened my shop I read some advice from another seller to have at least one full page.  So when I opened I filled the first page and even had a couple/few things on the second page. 

3. I don't sell crochet items, so I'm not too sure...but I think just about ANYTHING that is unique and well crafted sells on Etsy.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Golden Globes Beauty Trends 2015
Golden Globes Fashion Trends 2015
Watch This Amazing Golden Globes Red Carpet Time Lapse
Winter Style: Elegant White and Nude Dress
Golden Globes 2015: Best & Worst Dressed
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...