A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 303,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: im making my best freinds wedding dresses...  (Read 1559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2006 09:50:51 PM »

im 20 and kimberley has been my best freind for the past 19 years, and weve always wanted to be eachothers maids of honor, before we even knew what they where.   so now shes getting married on april 8th and she wants me to make my dress, the brides maids dresses and alter a new dress for her,    shes letting me pick out everything, and every style i want, with the couldours tan and yellow (her favorite colours)    im sure i can do it but i need some ideas and some sewing techniques if anyone would like to put in a good work of advise     thank you
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006 04:13:02 AM »

Have you ever made a wedding dress before?  A lot of seamstresses who aren't experienced with wedding apparel will refuse to even make something that has to do with a wedding, simply because it has to be SO PERFECT.  I don't meant to be demeaning or anything, because I have no idea what your skill level is or anything, but just beware that a wedding dress can be a totally different ball game than a piece of clothing that doesn't have so much weighing on it.

That said, let me ask another question:
Are you really picking out EVERYTHING?  The style of her wedding gown and everything?  She doesn't want any say whatsoever in any of the wedding garment decisions?  I can see you picking out her bridesmaids dresses, but for her wedding dress, you really need to know what she's interested in and what looks good on her.  Go to some bridal shops and have her look at and try on some dresses, get a feel for what she looks smashing in.  You don't want to spend all your time making a dress that you picked out and think is totally awesome, and is, only to find out that it just doesn't look that great on her.  Sometimes even the most fantastic gowns are not "The" dress for someone.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006 04:16:48 AM »

An altered wedding dress! You and your friend must be very crafty cool.  Smiley

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006 10:15:18 PM »

like  i siad, weve known eachother for 19 of our 20 years on earth,,,,,   we kinda think the same, and im desining the most of it
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006 10:51:16 PM »

I don't do a lot of clothes sewing, quilting mostly, but I sewed my own wedding dresses and helped with my sister's bridesmaids' dresses last summer, too.  With the right approach and accents, you can take a simple pattern and make it look fairly elegant.  I made my dress in two pieces, separate bodice and skirt.  The bodice was a white jacquard floral pattern, sleeveless, with a simple scoop neck, and the little downward-pointing waist that's name is escaping my thought at the moment.  The skirt was just plain white satin, but I added some thin white ribbons at intervals, and I tied fresh daisies on the skirt for the big day.  Since I dislike both veils and trains, I ran to Walmart, bought a "bridal lace" pattern white curtain, stitched it together up the back, and threaded a gold cord through the top so that I could tie it--the cape went over my shoulders, then instead of going in front the cord looped around and tied behind my back under my arms.  Topped it all off with a daisy crown and a wild-flower bouquet.  Simple, but elegant, and I got tons of compliments.  We did our bridesmaids dresses in two pieces, too--made it easier to fit them properly.

My sister's bridesmaid dresses were from a Renaissance pattern, and they weren't too bad, though I didn't have to make the grommitty lacing things that went up the back.  But here's the thing about my sister's dresses--she was supposed to be sewing them herself, and I wound up going up there the weekend before to do as much sewing as I could, and my mom got stuck with most of the rest.  It's not that my sister's necessarily irresponsible--a good part of that was my sister not really accounting for how long it would take to do the dresses.  Also, we had two bridesmaids who were not in the family and one was even a long way out of town.  She was supposed to come up for the fitting and didn't, and when they sent her measurements, they were wrong, something my mom didn't find out until after she'd already sewn up a bodice.  If you have anyone coming from out of town, have them go to a bridal shop to get their measurements done--many will do it for free just like they'll do tux measurements.  Do not let them measure themselves and do not let them shirk out of coming up for a real fitting before it's too late to make major alterations.  Be firm in this, or bad things will come of it.  Also, for your own sanity, make a mental note of seamstresses you can rely on for back-up support if you've found yourself biting off more than you can chew.  For my sister's wedding, I sewed together all five skirts, my mom did most of the cutting out (difficult, because of pattern crushed into fabric and flaws) and bodices and hemming, my sister did the grommitty things and serged the edges of the flouncy sheer sleeves, and our aunt across the road and one of my mom's friend's helped with some of the hems.  Make yourself a mental list and weigh out whether or not they'll really be happy to help you or if they'd be reluctant and/or too busy themselves.  It's probable you could do it all yourself, depending on your other obligations, but it's best to have a backup plan, just in case.

Hope that helps some.

PS--Oh, also, beware of altering bodices with lots of beads and stuff on them.  You'll go mad, and possibly even break your machine if you miss some when taking it in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006 10:54:33 PM by BatGrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Santa
Superhero Origins - Emma Frost
Superhero Origins: War Machine
Superhero Origins: Black Widow
How to Draw Cyclops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...