A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,300
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My wife is creeped out by me chrocheting.......  (Read 12879 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DTchick
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006 09:59:54 PM »

Keep crocheting. I think it's awesome when guys crochet. I had my boyfriend over to watch a movie and I was working on a baby blanket for my aunt. Out of nowhere he asked me to teach him how to crochet. My jaw must have hit the floor. Ah, if I didn't love him before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
Listener15
Just call me Listy

Keep me away from Craftster will ya! Ha!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006 10:02:21 PM »

If I remember correctly it was men that mostly did the knitting and crocheting in the past before it became a "woman's" craft....Tell her you're bringing back old traditions  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006 10:04:35 PM »

Check out knit1 magazine. Its all about male knitters and crocheters. Keep doing it, she'll get used to it. Maybe you should start making her friends scarves and hats and then they'll tell her how cool you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
ganymede
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006 10:09:49 PM »

That's when you say f*&$ social standards and gender roles. That's awesome that you're a male crocheter since typically it's associated with only women.
I don't really understand what makes it okay for a girl to pick up some power tools but not okay for a guy to pick up some crochet hooks? Haha, just like how it's really not cool if a guy went around in women's panties but perfectly fine for women to wear men's boxers. What exactly is so wrong with it? Our society makes silly contradictions.

She shouldn't be all that concerned about what other people think about it, either. Chances are people don't really give a flying crap anyway and if they do they'll have to get over it.
Great job on gender eradication!

(And I hate the "old lady" comments as well. I see I'm not alone with that. I have a friend who calls me an old lady all the time because I like to crochet and sew... all in good humour, though... i think.)

Anyway, don't stop crocheting. Make her see the light. If she doesn't crochet already maybe you could teach her!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yirq
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006 01:47:01 AM »

Keep on hooking! She's luckier than she knows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006 03:15:11 AM »

Keep on crocheting!! Down with gender stereotypes and limitations. If that's what you want to do, then do it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steal all the chandeliers down your street and call it romance.
BiscottiTogs

Life's too short for cheap chocolate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006 04:57:05 AM »

Listener15 is right...  it was early sailors who knit and crocheted.  They needed to make and repair their own nets and other needs.  And I think the tradition goes back a couple thousand years.

You've got tradition on your side.

Oh, and if your wife doesn't want your awesome creations, I think there's several of us on here who would love to receive your crafty things Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006 05:40:06 AM »

I think i can speak among most fiber artists who wish there partner could stich. I have dreams of me and my baby spending a night talking about cables and debating the attributes of differend yarns. keep it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006 07:57:58 AM »

Of course you should keep it up!

I remember when I was growing up there was a man my parents were friends with who knitted.  In the last few years I have done crochet exchanges with a man and wow! can he crochet.  He tackled things I wouldn't dream of.  I also know of an older man who does needle point and a man who does decorative told painting.

Handwork is definitely not just for women!  I do wood work and have never heard anyone complain because I use men's tools - other than when I am using the saw my husband wants for his project  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006 08:06:01 AM »

Anybody who creates anything in any method is cool and deserves society's respect and gratitude for preserving traditions and advancing techniques, and for contributing to the beauty of the world.  For this new generation of Craftsters, crafting is also a social statement--a way of rejecting the mass-marketed sweat-shop-made super-sized Walmartified products of our era in favor of the unique, the original.  We put an inestimable value on those items we craft ourselves.  They, unlike anything else available to the masses, are *not* disposable.  And how great is it that we have the skills to achieve this?  It is empowering.  And there's no reason at all that this should be the purview of one gender or the other.  I've never had anyone think crocheting is "old ladies work."  Rather, most people, when learning about my hobbies, say something like, "Oh, I used to know how to do that!  Will you teach me again?" or "I always wished I'd learned that when I had the chance." or they have such fond memories of past generations in their families making beautiful or charming things.  Yes, even the guys. 

Your wife should value and cherish you and your work.  I can't imagine discouraging anything creative another person does.  There are far, far too many people who are fully content to while their spare hours away watching reality TV or reading the worst kind of popular magazine, or some similar kind of nothing. 

(On the other hand, if it were me I'd be really glad for an excuse to hit the jigsaw, too.....which is a fine example of the double standard, because whenever folks see the furniture I've built, they say, 'Wow, that's really awesome!' and guys especially find it really intriguing.  All I can say is that I'm sorry for your gender that so many things are closed off to you, where they are open to us.  That said, of course, it was precisely the opposite for, well, several hundred years, so......we feel ya!  And we'll try really hard to be saying 'neener neener! in our secret heart of hearts.   Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Julianne Moore Is Ageless
What to Wear to Tailgate Parties
3 Ways to Wear Midi Trousers
How to Rock Dresses Over Pants
Best Layering Tips for Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...