A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hiding the mark of the curse  (Read 567 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dappleshark
« on: January 20, 2006 02:28:10 PM »

So I'm sure this has happened to everyone (well, everyone that's female and menustrating...but I'm assuming that's most of the board Wink ), you are sitting around, minding your own business, wearing something light colored...when *dun, dun, dun* Aunt Flo decides to visit a little early or maybe you just forgot she was coming... Stainage. I only have four pairs of pants and two of them are tan...and now both of them are stained (damn you menses! *shakes fist*). I have the stain *most* of the way out on one pair, but the other pair is being a bit stubborn.

I can't afford to buy pants right now and there is no real thrift store where I've just moved. Anybody have any methods for hiding such stains in a way that doesn't look like you have something to hide? (Ie, not just wearing something long enough to cover or tying on a sweater) I mean there has to be a nice looking way to go about this, right? Both pants are tan cordoroys if that helps any.

Oh, and if anyone can point towards a good tutorial for making old sweaters into leg warmers I'd also be very thankful. I have a couple of long skirts, but tis all snowy out here, so I'm afraid my legs would get cold wearing them. I plan to knit some...after I finish this scarf and a hat....and yeah...might take a while otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006 02:34:56 PM »

My mom got a rather big and dark flo stain out of a pair of my khakis with this rad soap called fels naptha. It's a yellow bar soap, probably in the laundry soap aisle. Old ladies will know what you're talking about if you ask.
I still take my favorite undies to my parents' house when they have "periodic" accidents. I suppose I should just get my own bar. You just put cold water on the stain, and rub it with the bar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006 02:37:42 PM »

I also recommend making a paste from dawn dish liquid and baking soda, rubbing it into the stain and letting it set for awhile.

The shout stain stick [it's gel-like with a brush applicator] also takes out old stains, I recommend leaving it to set for awhile as well. [sometimes I'll leave items that are badly stained to set for up to a week, same for the dawn/baking soda combo].
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
geekette

I'd rather die terrified than live forever.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006 02:40:47 PM »

1.  i use a baking soda based toothpaste, and a bit of cold water and rub it in, let it absorb it for a while, rinse it off, repeat, repeat.  it has gotten it out of my grey cords multiple times.   

2.  uhh.....dye them black? or dark brown?  dunno if you can dye courderoy.....but if you can, it would look like you just got a new pair of black or brown pants!

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ERPilly
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006 02:43:50 PM »

Well... depends where the stain is.  I've put appliques onto jeans before to hide holes and stains.  Make them symmetrical or with some pattern, or it looks like you're covering something.  If the stain is down in an impractical spot... dunno.  Remember cold water takes out blood.  Usually.  Use a stain fighter and let it stand a while.  Soak, then wash.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dappleshark
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006 04:47:49 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not honestly sure how well cordoroy takes dye, plus I have no washing mashine...I'm current stomp-washing everything in my bath tub...

The improved stain fighters on the other hand...what I'm using now is something cheap that came in a blue bottle, but I like you guys' suggestions much better. I'll try the baking soda combo first then I'll go with the fels naptha or shout.

The stains are decidedly in a non practical place to patch lol!

Thanks guys!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006 09:36:52 PM »

Sunlight brand has a bar soap that is amazing on stains and is extremely cheap - don't let it the soap sit on material too long or it will take all the color out. I love this stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Keeping a Well-Coordinated Look Refreshingly Unexpected
How to Recycle Your Clothes
Hot Maxi Dresses for Spring
Coachella Style Guide With Alessandra Ambrosio
How to Update Your Spring Wardrobe on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...