A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafts for a group of Adults???  (Read 1167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 20, 2006 01:53:56 PM »

So I am a case manager and I work with the mentally ill. They have all levels of functioning and attention spans. I have been chosen to run the arts and crafts group. Here is where you come in lovely crafteristias... I need help coming up with craft projects that:

Are inexpensive/ dont require many supplies I'll have to go out and buy
Can be done with a group
Can be done in an 1-1/12 hours
can be done by people who dont always have the longest attention span/ attention to detail
Are ok for adults
Are fun/ interesting

Any thoughts?Huh??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annc
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006 11:42:59 AM »

I've done very similar work so here are a few ideas that have worked in the past and a few I haven't tried yet:

1.  collages w/magazine cutouts-- it could be a themed project, for example, "How I feel when..." or their interpretation of a topic (love, help, need, etc)
2.  recycle old cds-- decorate w/appropriate paint, glitter, etc., and hang as suncatchers
3.  pins-- various small wooden shapes can be decorated w/pin glued to back
4.  Valentine's Day cards
5.  painting w/cookie cutters-- dip them into paint and press on paper
6.  mosaics-- use square pieces of colored paper, preferably something stiff, but construction paper will do also; I would not recommend using paint chip samples from the hardware store unless there is no writing on them at all-- it takes way too long to cut them all up
7.  V-Day pic frames-- use empty Sweethearts candy boxes, the ones w/heart cutout in center and cellophane
8.  little boxes-- you can either purchase paper mache boxes or ask use small jewelry gift boxes from department stores; tear up pieces of masking tape (2+inches long) and cover entire box, letting tape overlap in a sloppy way; then color the entire box over the masking tape; has really cool look this way, kind of antiqued or crackled almost; you can use large wooden beads glued to the bottom at each corner and one on top for a handle just to jazz it up

also, I suggest playing relaxing music during arts and crafts time-- it adds to the therapeutic benefits

good luck!  and let us know how works out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006 11:57:49 AM »

Lovely ideas, i was beginning to think no one had any. I really like the idea of decorating little boxes like from the craft store. i am justw worried that they'll think its boring or stupid, i want them to make things that are cool/ useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annc
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006 02:49:22 PM »

i was surprised at how much fun my groups have had doing even the most simple projects.  most members don't have an opportunity to do artwork on a regular basis, so doing almost anything is better than not doing any art project.  plus it's not the project itself that is therapeutic, but the focus & concentration, however little, the fact that they are using their hands to create something, the process that is beneficial.  don't feel discouraged!  and remember that they'll probably have some great project ideas, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahviolett
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006 04:15:13 PM »

I need help too, I work in Psych Rehab with adults as well and have a craft group. Our organization is so poor, I am always looking for crafts to make for cheap and within about an hour, and with easy to attain items. Also things that don't have very small parts or hand sewing as a lot of the people shake because of medications, etc.

FYI- I have done the following that you others doing the same may be interested in:

Marble magnets - purchased from dollar store
Journal making
Cards for various holidays
Painting ornaments
Prep for holidays by making placemats, etc for tables