A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I wash quilt tops?  (Read 1706 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleGurl
« on: June 14, 2004 12:08:28 PM »

I made several quilt tops(cottons), each basically the same color scheme and did not prewash the fabric.  Now I want to sell them, but want to wash them first, so the go to the customer clean and prewashed/shrunk.

My question is, what method can I use to wash them, to minimize bleeding and distortion/shrinkage?

I just finished washing my ENTIRE stock of fabrics so this won't be an issue anymore.

Thanks!

PurpleGurl
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004 05:09:45 PM by PurpleGurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennaPotter
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004 04:40:59 PM »

I wouldn't wash the quilt tops. In the quilt shows that I've gone to, the sellers would pin a little note telling the buyer that this particular quilt top is unwashed and there is a risk of colors running and may have a bit of surface dirt.
Washing quilt tops aren't fun...little strings hang out and colors may run and that affects the price of the top. I would let the buyer decide what to do with it after adequately warning them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleGurl
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004 05:53:02 PM »

Cool!  I had never seen that at a quilt show..live and learn.  actually that is good so now I don't have to worry about it if I give them adequate "warning" as to what might happens when they wash it.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 04:57:28 AM »

I have a quilt top i made in a class that wasnt washed first, how can I wash it? On cold water? How do you wash quilts you use? when i asked in class I got the whole we dont wash or use it.. we take them off the bed before sleeping and if you treasure your quilt you wont use it either.. but to me I want to being to use what I make.. Any advice would be good thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 05:22:38 AM »

If i was going to wash a quilt top only, I would basting-stitch a backing onto it, making a kind of pillowcase, then wash. that should fairly minimize fray, and allow for the shrinkage
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008 05:27:07 AM »

What if I wait til its all finished?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pertelot
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008 08:24:29 PM »

i just recently got up the nerve to put one of my quilts in the washing machine/dryer and it came out fine.  i just put it in there alone on gentle in cold water and had no problem with the dark running onto the light.... i have heard of sheets you can put in the was though that are supposed to pick up the extra dye in the water so it probably wouldnt hurt to check out the laundry isle and see whats available
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danni42683
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008 11:03:14 AM »

There is a box of stuff I think it is made by RIT the same company that made RIT FABRIC DYE that you add to the wash when you are afraid that colors are going to bleed, the stuff that the powder is made of picks up any color that is let out and does not allow it to bleed onto other fabrics. This may be something to look into. I have never had any trouble I wash all of mine in COLD water with a VERY light detergent! Good luck washing!

As far washing fabric before using, you can get minimum fraying by sewing the two raw(edges that have been cut from the both) to eachother with a simple 1/4 inch seam allowance, throw them in the washer and dryer take them out square up the fabric and iron flat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dpbluec
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008 02:28:43 PM »

I was on gentle/hand-wash cycle and stick a white hand towel in there, on the cold cycle.  The towel catches the dye (that I later bleach out so I can resuse).  In the dryer I put the quilt in a linen or old cotton pillow case then dry on the lowest heat setting with a couple of dryer balls.  If I have the time, I line dry then toss in the dryer for a couple of minutes to soften it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebeccalynnis

who will love a little sparrow?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008 10:39:58 AM »

i just want to say thanks for this post. i just finished cutting out all my squares for a quilt and have barely started sewing them together and realized some of my fabrics have been pre-shrunk and some haven't! and now i know how to wash it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~raeblossom.etsy.com~*~      ~*~twitter~*~      ~*~FBfanpage~*~
H A N D M A D E . E C O - F R I E N D L Y . F A S H I O N . & . A C C E S S O R I E S
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Muse of Barry Ptolemy
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Interview with Roger Nygard
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...