A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skellies Sweater  (Read 21380 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LAWebChick

Death came on silver booties

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2004 07:31:21 AM »

Finally!

I finished the requested birthday present for my friend's GF - I think I will never do anything on a short-term deadline, particularly when I make the mistake of using teeny yarn and size 3 needles. I'm very happy that she's an extra-small, or I might have slit my wrists out of boredom when doing the back & sleeves. I did get to finally give Addi Turbos a try, and I can see the appeal, once you get the hang of them. Nice!

But she was jazzed, so all is well, and now I get my Moai for my front yard Smiley This was based on a Skully sweater variation I made for myself from a chart I cobbled together from a piece by one of my favorite artists, and then varied again for the recipient's taste in clothing. I think it was all worth it in the end! If she permits, I'll put up a picture of her wearing it.

Here it is:
http://www.nocturne.com/craft/skellies_sweater/sweater.jpg

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011 04:18:14 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
suki
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004 07:51:30 AM »

Oh.  My.  I think I am in love with that sweater. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004 07:51:34 AM »

Truly fabulous sweater!!! Any chance you'd be willing to share the intarsia chart (assuming no copyright issues, of course)?  Pretty please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LAWebChick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004 09:55:44 AM »

I took the image I wanted (http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=esh037), and tweaked the angles just a little bit, and then slapped a 3/4 table over it & made the chart, so I'm pretty sure the intarsia pattern would fall squarely into copyright infringement if I posted it...

But that said, I've found that the best way for me to make a chart is to use a blank Excel spreadsheet with the cell sizes locked to the right proportion, and then take the image I want in the size I want and make it the background of the sheet. I use the fill tool to block out the cells in the different colors till the whole thing is about right. I dump the image out of the background to make sure I've filled in every cell, and then fiddle the individual cells till it looks right when I stand far away from my computer and squint.

I've also just printed out a blank chart (you can find them all over the web), and put it over the picture, and used highlighters to color in the blocks. That's actually more fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004 11:15:52 AM »

That's the coolest!  and what a great idea to create your intarsia patterns using excel.  What cell dimensions work best for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004 11:31:22 AM »

AMAZING!You are truly a talented knitter!  This sweater looks professional!  I guarantee that the recipient will be getting loads of compliments and the famous "where did you get that sweater" question!!  And she gets to say....YOU made it for her!   Awesome!       ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
Mojo
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004 12:29:08 PM »

Yes, what cell dimensions do you use to create intarsia patterns in Excel?  I know they should be wider than they are tall right? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LAWebChick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004 01:54:49 PM »

I used Row height 12, which is 16 pixels, and Column width 2.43, which is, go figure, 22 pixels (Excel baffles me).
Approximately a 3x4 ratio, and you can drag the cell sizes out to any size (select-all first), and that way you can adjust for stitch size and/or image size as long as you keep that 3x4 ratio.

And thanks for all the compliments! I got a phone and two emails from her about how happy she was, so it was worth it all after all Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004 01:56:41 PM by LAWebChick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
swellgirl
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004 02:28:33 PM »

Great job!  I love the three skulls!!  Much better than just one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004 09:27:31 PM »

That sweater is so much fun! I'd love to see it worn, just to tell what the neckline is like.

When I draw charts, I use the proportions from my gauge swatch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taste Test Of The New Twinkie
Trashy Term: Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
Jalepe-NO! Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
Deal or No Deal?: Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
How to Make Oyster Stuffing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...