A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advertising your Etsy shop!  (Read 43013 times)
Tags for this thread: advertising  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carriem23
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006 07:14:28 AM »

Lately I've been posting ads on craigslist.org and postaroo.com.  I also started friendster and myspace accounts and listed an ad in the friendster classifieds and posted a link to my shop in a myspace forum for Etsy.
I printed up some business cards and have been hanging flyers and business cards around town.

Someone on Etsy in California had someone tell her they saw a flyer for Esty in Minnesota and it happened to be one of the ones I put up.  That was pretty cool.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007 07:25:52 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006 07:45:18 PM »

I'm making this topic a sticky... I've seen this question asked many times, so I think all will benefit.  Please share any other advertising ideas here!  Smiley

Thanks much,

~Sweets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aphadon
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006 08:42:25 AM »

My advertising attempts so far:

Giving business cards to friends to give to their friends
Leaving a bunch of business cards out at my (former) job for customers to take
Giving pins to friends to wear
Send pins, promo pens, and business cards out in packages
Sending business cards out in swap and penpal packages
Ad on craigslist.com for my city
Blogging about the stuff I'm posting
Putting links in my email and forum signatures
Mentioning items are in my shop when posting on forums for critiques
Giving promo pens and pins to my boyfriend to use/wear
Making stuff for me/friends to wear
Free add on www.ilikeseamonsters.com

I'm doing a craft fair in a few weeks, so I'm planning to putting up posters to advertise the craft fair and my shop. I'm also going to 'lose' some of my promo pens around town, and I'm going to post another ad on Craigslist closer to the fair date.

I'm going to check out the links posted earlier - I would love some new ideas though on how I can get the word out and get more sales, I really want my shop to succeed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

novemberlies
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006 09:19:19 AM »

I (finally) posted a listing on craigslist.  I only posted one in the Buffalo region but would it be wise to post a few in random regions throughout the country?  Or would that be spammy and not cool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysaurus
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006 07:21:00 PM »

i am still new to etsy and i was wondering what you guys did to advertise your shop. i have made a few flyers and plan to pass them out at coffee shops and pretty much anywhere that will allow. i also use the livejournal "etsy_lj". so far that is all i've been able to come up with.
any suggestions?

p.s. would anyone like to do a business card swap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006 05:15:45 AM »

Always, always wear something you've made whether it be jewelry or clothing.  Have business cards ready so that when someone compliments you, you can say, "I'll make one for you, too," and hand them the card.

Grocery stores often have bulletin boards where you can post items.  Not exactly where one shops for stuff like crafts, but it's free.  I always stop and look.

Get thee to a craft show.  Invest a little bit in an entry fee and keep your costs as low as possible.  Borrow tables rather than buy them, seek thrift stores for sheets for tablecloths, that sort of thing.  Again, have brochures or biz cards ready to pass out and think of it as a learning experience and a way to make contacts, not necessarily a money making day the first time.

Use your link in your signature with any forums you post to.

Write a brief e-mail about what you make and how to buy.  Send it to all your friends and ask them to forward it to 5-10 people that don't already know you.  Not exactly a chain letter, and who knows who might be interested?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
tvtrayart
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006 07:00:50 AM »

I recently connected my blog with Flickr so that I can post directly from Flickr to my blog.

I think this might be a way to drive more people to my blog and then to my shop and vice verse since Flickr seems to have a wide appeal and people kind of happen upon your pictures and then go from there.  IF anybody ever read my blog, then they'd also be directed to Flickr and could browse other pics of my work and be directed to my shop from there as well.  That is, IF anybody ever read my blog.  LOL!!   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007 07:26:19 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.tvtrayart.etsy.com
Uniquely handcrafted cards and gifts...

http://tvtrayart.blogspot.com

http://myspace.com/tvtrayart

Hey!  Check out my friend's shop, too!  http://kanyofuse.etsy.com (fused glass goodness)
bird nerd
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006 11:29:55 PM »

Someone suggested to me when I started selling my whales - Goto the library and get out a bunch of books that you think may be popular with your target audience (I was suggested to get stuff with whales in them/childrens books Smiley). Pop in some flyers/business cards and take them back to the library. Just be careful to keep the books shut or the flyers in firmly, and it works best with books that have the barcodes etc on the cover or back Smiley

Random, but it worked! I had a few sales, and its completely free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysaurus
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006 07:39:14 AM »

thanks for the responses. both were really helpful.

my mom suggested that i drop some business cards off at the little tables they have for people to read at barnes and noble. i'm not sure if its allowed or not but i might give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starrydesigns
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006 01:45:09 PM »

Everywhere! I post like crazy on flickr, blogspot. And keep adding people on myspace cos it gets you a ton of exposure. Be sure to add a comment.

Hey there tvtrayart! I'm new on craftster.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Units, Increments and Grids Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - General, Type and Advanced Type Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Document Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Exporting an InDesign File as a PDF
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Changing Display Quality and Multiple Text Layers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...