A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advertising your Etsy shop!  (Read 40945 times)
Tags for this thread: advertising  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2006 06:41:59 PM »

Hello Micol:  I think your shop looks very nice.  Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a pretty difficult time selling much of anything if you only accept checks and money orders.  I don't mean to rain on your parade, but seriously ... I think you're going to have a very, very hard time of it without accepting online payments.  Although there are a few people out there who prefer check or money order purchases, they are few and far between.  In most cases, a buyer would have to love your items 1000 times more than any of the jillions of other items available online to be willing to deal with such a hassle and delay to get the item.

Again, I'm definitely not trying to be negative.  Just realistic.  I'd hate to see you disappointed and doubting your work if it doesn't sell when likely the reason would simply be the inconvenient payment options.
- Deb aka Fearless Fibers

Yeah, I know.  I've just heard such horror stories about problems with P@yP@l, as well as on-line credit card Phishing.  I really don't want to get involved with all of it, ya know? 

I realize that I won't make as much money as the other shops, but maybe there are enough people like me out there who have actually had their number stolen and purchases made on their account, just from trying to buy something on-line with a card, then I think they would be willing to buy via check or money order. I for one WILL NOT buy anything on-line again, and yes, it's a pain...but it's better than having to cancel your cards and try to get your charges reversed.  (My card number was stolen on the second transaction that I ever made with a debit card on-line...thank goodness it was my debit card and it had a $300 limit....my credit card could have been much worse!)

I appreciate your input and candor...totally... that's what I was looking for from everyone.  However, I'll probably still stick with Check or Money Order and just live with the poorer sales.

RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
rejectedblueziti
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2006 09:26:05 PM »

Re: paying with paypal - I am nervous about this sort of thing, too; I set up a separate Savings account that is linked to Paypal, and I just transfer money into there out of the paypal account.  My credit card is set up similarly, no yearly fee and, like, a $100 limit (it is just for paypal).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2006 09:27:55 PM »

I know.  I think I'll do pretty poorly cuz of it.  But...as Retch Worrell said..."Dems da grits!"

Cheesy
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2006 09:51:24 PM »

Re: paying with paypal - I am nervous about this sort of thing, too; I set up a separate Savings account that is linked to Paypal, and I just transfer money into there out of the paypal account.  My credit card is set up similarly, no yearly fee and, like, a $100 limit (it is just for paypal).

Hmmmm...that sounds like a good idea.  But I've also heard on the P@yP@l situation is a lot of folks get their accounts frozen and can't get their money or accept payments for weeks with no legal recourse because of the waiver you agree to upon sign-up.  (Nor reimbursement for lost sales, obviously.)  They've been sued so many times and they are really frowned on by the FDIC from what I have read.  (They still have YOUR money making THEM money in the stock market while your account is frozen, of course.)  I read this all online...not sure how to verify it.

And...if I'm understanding things correctly, as with any credit card, if someone purchases something with a stolen card number from your shop, YOU, the owner, are the one who gets a chargeback from the credit card companies.  Like the sorry thief that took my number and bought software with it...the place he bought it from has to foot the bill because the bank gets their money back from them.  See?  It stinks, but I just feel like it's a risky business to buy or sell on-line.

RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

obt723
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2006 05:25:57 PM »

First thanks to everyone else for all their great tips!
For you college kids/alumni out there: check to see if your school's site has a classifieds section and post an ad there. Make sure to read any instructions/restrictions first. I just posted to my school and am hoping to get a few hits.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHOP! - http://anedesigns.etsy.com   NEW Items!
RecycleMicol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2006 11:57:56 PM »

Well, I did it.  I gave in and registered for PayPal and credit card payments in my shop.  I'm not thrilled about it, but everyone around me is telling me it's the only way to sell anything.

So...I did it.

I still hear their voices in my head..."But everyone's doing it!". 

At least I was able to say 'NO' to drugs!   Cheesy

Later,
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View My Craft Blog

hollyg9211

9 out of 10 ninjas agree...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2007 10:46:28 AM »

So, what has been your over-all most successful advertising venture?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop for KiWi Cuties apparel at
http://www.kiwicuties.etsy.com
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2007 06:09:07 PM »

I created a free electronic Valentine's Day card, but put my etsy web address on it, hopefully people will send it out...It's just so, well viral Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
LUBEE
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2007 11:54:50 AM »

anyone donating any of there profits to a cause?
i'm donating 10% of all sales to The Got Guts 5k benefiting Celiac Disease Awareness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2007 01:39:59 PM »

Well, I did it.  I gave in and registered for PayPal and credit card payments in my shop.  I'm not thrilled about it, but everyone around me is telling me it's the only way to sell anything.

So...I did it.

I still hear their voices in my head..."But everyone's doing it!". 

At least I was able to say 'NO' to drugs!   Cheesy

Later,
RM
Congrats, saw your shop...grease free environment, that's a new one for me.   As for donating percentages to a cause, that's an excellent idea.   But I haven't had much success with it.  I think it works better if it's an auction.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: The Art of Typography
Architect Mark Wigley Says Data Visualization Is the New Art
A Workshop For Peace
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...