A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huge Crocheted Tote Bag...(medium & purse size added)  (Read 6416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laamissa
« on: June 13, 2004 07:08:33 PM »

My monster sized bag is finally finished!
I modified the pattern from this site
I used 2 strands held together throughout and added a stripe of fun fur.  The base is double the size it originally called for.
This bag is perfect for toting my never ending supply of yarn to take on the road with me.    ~M

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004 07:52:42 PM by Laamissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
purple_octopus
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004 07:30:51 PM »

Yours looks even better than the one pictured with the pattern!  I love the fun fur.  How sturdy are the handles?  I have problems with knitted/crocheted bags and totes because the handles stretch out and look like crap :-( 

Maybe I just lug around too much heavy stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silvrgoat

I'm not a llama.. I'm a goat!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004 07:34:01 PM »

Wow, I'm jealous. That looks great!! I love the colors you used, and the fur adds just enough excitement! I am just learning to crochet, so I can't wait to be able to actually make USEFUL things! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coloursknits

Can you see me?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004 01:56:46 AM »

Great job! I love the color you picked. How does it take you to finish the tote?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coloursknits

Can you see me?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004 01:58:43 AM »

Hey there, meant to ask you how long does it take you to finish the tote? By the way, what type of yarn did you use? I'm thinking to make one for my friend's b'day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004 04:07:20 AM »

Great bag!  What are the dimensions?  I would like to make one in the same style but might try felting mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laamissa
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004 10:22:13 AM »

WOW...THANKS EVERYONE!

purple_octopus:  The handles are surprisingly sturdy!  Yeah...I was weary of whether they would hold up or not but I made the handles 3 rows of half double crochet with two strands!  The whole project is done really tightly which helps to keep it stiff.....and im trying not to stuff it full cause I have that ol habit of lugging round to much too.

Silvrgoat:  *blush* thanks!  Yeah crocheting rocks!  You can make sooo many useful things! 

Coloursknits:  The bag took me a while!  Id have to say at least 15 hours?  I started on vacation than worked on it on a few car trips and an hour or two every night for about a week.  Wow that sounds harsh...but really it was a fun project!
This was fairly easy to make and I would recommend making one!!  I used brown and green red heart worsted weight yarn and lion brand brown fun fur.  I used 2 strands throughout and when the fuzzy stripe came I just held a single strand of the "fur" along with it.

MoJo:  It is huge!  Way larger than I was picturing when I began the project...about 15 inches tall X 8 inches wide and 17 inches across!!!  You could change that really easily though...when making the base reduce the initial chain and the amount of rows.  I also ditched the pockets from the pattern cause I figured they would be "saggy" on the bag.
Felting a bag like this would be fun!

~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004 10:21:25 AM »

Wicked Awesome Bag!! I love it.  It looks really good.  I agree with purple octopus it looks way better than the one that was shown. So, how did you modify it just make it not so wide?  It looks great.  I want to make one know.  I love to crochet!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004 07:51:54 PM »

Here are two more I have made recently....
a purse sized and medium sized tote:

The blue/green/cream one was done with Red Heart Grande...2 strands held together throughout...this stuff is really really thick....(I would definately recommend using thicker yarns for this project...It makes these bags stiffer and stonger)  (the fuzzy cream stripe is actually centered on the bag but doesnt look like it in the photo  Wink)

the purple/blue one is done with Red Heart worsted weight yarn

....and of course cant forget the Lion Brand eye lash yarns! (Love to throw those into projects)

Thanks for peeking.......~M

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
Monkeypooshoes

Yep, that's my doggie - look at those big ears.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004 12:46:51 AM »

Hey those are really great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Avant Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Sarah Vowell Talks About The Wordy Shipmates
Alan Goldsher Reveals His Previous Occupation
Meet Bishop Carlton D. Pearson
Peter Lerangis Reveals His Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...