A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Skein Stirling Cloche NOW WITH PATTERN, pg. 6!  (Read 85655 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skrillaknits
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2006 07:14:24 PM »

Yayers!  Thank you for the pattern!!!!!  I'm thinking of knitting mine in this yarn http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Austermann+Cleopatra&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=2 (almond ice).  ^_^  The only thing is, how many yards would it take? O_o...

Hm, should we start a kal for this?  Cheesy

Oh man, a KAL would make me feel like such a rockstar!

I think that yarn would be cool, but I have concerns about the fiber content. Since it's all synthetic, it wouldn't felt and my hat depends on a light felting for it's finished look. If you wanted to use that yarn I'd say use a much smaller needle so that it will be very firm--this would probably help the brim to have a good amount of body. I'd say that you need about 300 yards to be safe (that's for a heavy worsted weight, held doubled).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Rast ich, so rost ich." [German Proverb]
ea000blaze
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2006 12:02:01 PM »

ok...um, I tried to make the cloche, and something is seriously wrong with it...it's way too short!

This is before felting, but I'm assuming it would shrink even more! I followed your pattern exactly, and the guage is spot on, so what did I do wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcriot
Don't mind if I do..

MMMbop, It's like an addiction.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2006 01:01:06 PM »

yikes, I was about to make this in lamb's pride bulky but this is making me change my mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2006 03:05:49 PM »

Oh man, a KAL would make me feel like such a rockstar!

I think that yarn would be cool, but I have concerns about the fiber content. Since it's all synthetic, it wouldn't felt and my hat depends on a light felting for it's finished look. If you wanted to use that yarn I'd say use a much smaller needle so that it will be very firm--this would probably help the brim to have a good amount of body. I'd say that you need about 300 yards to be safe (that's for a heavy worsted weight, held doubled).

Yeah, kinda have to stick w/ synthetic over here.  I'm allergic to basically everything under the sun. ~_~

Alright, I'll try the smaller needles.  Thanks!!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skrillaknits
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2006 04:15:28 PM »

ok...um, I tried to make the cloche, and something is seriously wrong with it...it's way too short!

This is before felting, but I'm assuming it would shrink even more! I followed your pattern exactly, and the guage is spot on, so what did I do wrong?

Yikes! Well--the first comment I have is that it isn't exactly my pattern since you substituted yarn. That's totally fine, I support yarn substitution wholeheartedly. When you did the final decreases, did you do them every other round or every round? The way I wrote it (in the interest of saving space) the instructions look like you should decrease every round, but it's actually happening every other round.

When I look at it and imagine the bottom unrolled, it does look like the length that I intended, just barely over the eyebrows...

I also call for a light felting, which shouldn't cause too much shrinkage. This thing isn't meant to be tossed in the washing machine like a tote bag would be, just a little handwash with hot water to make the whole thing a little more solid.

If none of these things make sense, I'd say rip out the crown decreases to the part in the pattern where it says "knit even until it measures 5.5" from cast-on edge" and knit until you feel comfortable with it's length before starting the final decreases. Hope this helps =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Rast ich, so rost ich." [German Proverb]
anky
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2006 06:02:26 PM »

How much yarn did you actually use because I noticed that one skeen of valley yarn is about 500yds and over here in australia most balls of yarn average 93-100yards so im just wondering how many balls to buy? thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2006 06:41:04 PM »

How much yarn did you actually use because I noticed that one skeen of valley yarn is about 500yds and over here in australia most balls of yarn average 93-100yards so im just wondering how many balls to buy? thanks

Yeah, kinda the same in the us (100 something yards).  *shrugs* She told me that it would take about 300 yards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuoLiu
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2006 07:34:00 PM »

I just checked the price of that stirling yarn... yeah I may not be knitting this hat for a while. It's definitely on my list though because I'm not really a hat person but do need to keep warm in winter so this might be a good option. So.... I was just about to ask the same question - does this hat use up a whole ball of that yarn or will there be some left over?

Also, I have a fairly small head. I work with kids and I can fit 4-year-olds' hats onto my head. Should I cast on fewer stitches or should I felt extra to make it smaller? I've never actually felted before so I'm not sure what a "light felting" would do. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittydoll
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2006 07:33:07 PM »

Here's mine, knit as a gift for my Mum for Mother's Day. It's so SO girly because she is, and so am I at times.  Knit in one day- an awesome pattern, thanx muchly for it Smiley
I substituted yarn, using one 50g ball standard 8 ply wool suitable for felting (eggplant purple colour), and also nearly a whole 100g ball of SIRDAR Salsa (red/purple colour). I manually felted but decided I had to go for a full machine wash to really tighten it up. This was definately due to the nature of the wools I used, so anyone else should probably go with the hand-felt first and see where you end up with that.... Smiley

There's a fuzzy photo of me modelling it on my blog, http://whensheknits.blogspot.com/2006/05/mums-mothers-day-gift.html if you want to see the hats dimensions on an actual 'head'!

Oh twist-stitch rose pattern from vogueknitting holiday 2005
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 05:11:59 PM by knittydoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sit, Sip, Knit!
brookles24
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2006 08:12:47 PM »

awwww I love it!  It's so cute and the color is great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty & the Beast: A Stunning Pop-Up from Robert Sabuda
Meet Lisa Lutz
Greg Donaldson Talks About Zebratown
Lewis Gordon Pugh Talks About Achieving the Impossible
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Motto
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...