A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Skein Stirling Cloche NOW WITH PATTERN, pg. 6!  (Read 88007 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2006 02:41:41 PM »

That turned out great! 

I ordered the stirling yarn for mine a couple of days ago, so once it comes I'll be able to get started as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2006 08:21:03 PM »

That's very pretty.  I very muchly want to make this hat.  I only have a million other things to make.  I love this shape of hat.  I hope I will have one made in time for the colder weather.  In fact, I'm sure I will and I'm sure it will match one of my scarves, if not I'm sure I'll knit one to match.  I'm sure I'll post a picture too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anky
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2006 08:49:51 PM »

i just started this using cream coloured 8ply wool. But I only just found out that "white" wool doesn't felt or doesn't felt as well as other colours because of the way its bleached. Has anyone had any success in felting white coloured wools and since this hat is only lightly felted is it likely to matter all that much? I've never felted before so any help or pointers you can give me would be appreciated. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skrillaknits
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2006 08:32:12 AM »

i just started this using cream coloured 8ply wool. But I only just found out that "white" wool doesn't felt or doesn't felt as well as other colours because of the way its bleached. Has anyone had any success in felting white coloured wools and since this hat is only lightly felted is it likely to matter all that much? I've never felted before so any help or pointers you can give me would be appreciated. thanks

Hello, I'm sorry, I haven't been onto Craftster as much as I'd like lately! I would advise (if you haven't already) making a little swatch and hand felting it, just to see what happens. I've had good luck felting things that people say won't felt (silk/wool blends, light colors, etc.) As long as it firms up a little and looks a little fuzzy, I think the pattern will work out okay. Before I felted mine it looked like a normal hat, whereas things that are meant to be firmly felted usually look huge and misshapen before they are felted.

Hope this helps =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Rast ich, so rost ich." [German Proverb]
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2006 08:56:32 AM »

I've got mine finished up to the fulling stage (it's been this way for awhile, but I hope to finish it up soon!).  I have to say the Stirling yarn is awesome, I think it definetly adds to this pattern.  AND, although I don't have a scale to check for sure, I am pretty sure I have atleast half of the huge skein left that I ordered from Webs-- So money wise, it's not very expensive for what all you get.

The yarn was a little difficult for me to work with, since I haven't worked with many different types of yarn yet, but seeing the fabric it produced was definetly worth it.  I'll post pics as soon as I finish... although it's so hot here I don't have much motivation to full and finish quite yet...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skrillaknits
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2006 04:35:27 PM »

I have to say the Stirling yarn is awesome, I think it definetly adds to this pattern.  AND, although I don't have a scale to check for sure, I am pretty sure I have atleast half of the huge skein left that I ordered from Webs-- So money wise, it's not very expensive for what all you get.

The yarn was a little difficult for me to work with, since I haven't worked with many different types of yarn yet, but seeing the fabric it produced was definetly worth it.

Phew, I'm really glad to hear this! I really don't want to discourage subbing because I almost always do it but the Stirling is so unique, it's really worth the cost, especially because you get SO much. It looks nice held with other stuff too...actually, I saw your adorable hedgehog--I think Stirling would be great animal yarn.

It was difficult for me too, my needle kept catching the little loops, but it was over quickly and it was worth it (in my opinion).

Can't wait to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Rast ich, so rost ich." [German Proverb]
LuoLiu
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2006 08:34:09 PM »

I've got mine finished up to the fulling stage (it's been this way for awhile, but I hope to finish it up soon!).  I have to say the Stirling yarn is awesome, I think it definetly adds to this pattern.  AND, although I don't have a scale to check for sure, I am pretty sure I have atleast half of the huge skein left that I ordered from Webs-- So money wise, it's not very expensive for what all you get.

The yarn was a little difficult for me to work with, since I haven't worked with many different types of yarn yet, but seeing the fabric it produced was definetly worth it.  I'll post pics as soon as I finish... although it's so hot here I don't have much motivation to full and finish quite yet...  Wink

Great, I'm glad to hear it won't use up the whole skein. Now it is definitely on my list of things to knit. Might have to wait til fall though, can't imagine knitting hats in June.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2006 07:46:03 AM »

I just ordered my stirling today - I went back and forth about buying it.  I looked all over for suitable yarn subs, but loved the original so much that I just did it.  To heck with credit card bills!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2006 11:43:05 AM »

Yikes!  This reminds me that I still haven't finished mine!  I still have the embellisments to add, but it is a super cute hat...

...but since yesterday was 113 I really haven't had the desire to wear a warm cozy hat around, no matter how cute it is!

Princessliak--the yarn is really cool, and you'll have lots of yarn leftover, I am thinking I will incorporate some of my leftover into a stuff animal of some sort because the texture is so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wizkid
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2006 08:40:37 PM »

This is totally adorable. I was just in Urban Outfitters, and they had cute cloches, but my head is kind of large, so the 'one size' thing usually doesn't work for me. BUT felting it myself will let me control that! Yay! And thanks for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Tips on Making Buffalo Wings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...