A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roasted Almonds?  (Read 2807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnjanaSofia
« on: June 13, 2004 06:25:18 PM »

Can anybody tell me how to make yummy roasted almonds? I've seen them made by coating the almonds with something and then putting them in the oven on a cookie sheet... but I have no idea what that something is or how to make it. If someone could enlighten me, that would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a good time, call http://anjanasofia.blogspot.com/
Silvrgoat

I'm not a llama.. I'm a goat!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004 07:17:31 PM »

I know it isn't a great answer, but I just did a google search on "roasted almonds" and got a bunch of recipes that look good. I checked my cookbooks and somehow none of them have a recipe. Do you want sweet ones or more salty ones? Seems the sweet ones use honey, but I have done it with olive oil and sea salt I think... my mouth is watering just thinking about some! Can't wait to see if someone has a good simple recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004 10:31:04 PM »

my friend makes chili-roasted almonds by tossing almonds (whole or chopped) in a bit of oil, then shaking with chili powder, cumin and salt. following that, spread on a cookie sheet and roast at 350F, watching carefully and stirring often. they are really good in a salad with grapefruit and avocado!

i prefer to roast nuts in a dry frying pan, so that i can watch them more carefully and avoid any burning.

a sweet recipe would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
Goddess
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004 10:50:33 PM »

my friend makes chili-roasted almonds by tossing almonds (whole or chopped) in a bit of oil, then shaking with chili powder, cumin and salt. following that, spread on a cookie sheet and roast at 350F, watching carefully and stirring often. they are really good in a salad with grapefruit and avocado!

i prefer to roast nuts in a dry frying pan, so that i can watch them more carefully and avoid any burning.

a sweet recipe would be great!

you know what stinks? the sweet ones smell fantastic, but they taste kind of crappy. Those chili roasted ones sound fabulous though, I am all about spicy stuff YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004 01:21:41 PM »

Kristina's (that would be me!) Herbed Almonds

1 lb Almonds
1 1/2 tbl butter
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 thyme
1/4 marjoram
1/4 savory
2 tsp try parsley flakes

brown whole almonds in skillet with butter (about 5 min, stirring constantly)
mix herbs
spoon hot almonds into herb blend, stir to cover all almonds with herb blend.
cool on a paper towel.

Hope that works!
These are my FAVORITE snack!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004 02:10:42 PM »

I've done pecansthis way:   
 1 lb pecans   1-2 tablespoons butter   2teaspoons honey   2 teaspoons cinnamon
the same directions as GreatBallsofFrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004 06:53:11 PM »

You don't actually have to add anything to almonds to roast them --- just spread them on a cookie sheet, put it in the oven at about 350 for around 10-15 mins, stirring the almonds around occasionally. The texture of the almonds changes, giving them a lovely flavour. (This is also the preparation for making almond bark --- once the almonds are cool, you can toss them in melted chocolate and spread to cool on parchment-paper lined cookie sheets.)

Of course, if you do want to add more zing, you can coat them in a little bit of oil and add a spice mix of your choice. My aunt does a fantastic curried almond, with curry powder, some paprika, a dash of cinnamon, and (I think) a tiny dash of allspice. Almonds are pretty flexible, in terms of what they'll go with --- you can definitely experiment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004 07:25:15 PM »

I dry roast them and toss them in a little olive oil mixed with brown sugar and fresh rosemary. They're fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueskies
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004 09:13:01 PM »

I use this recipe for Cinnamon-ROasted Almonds. Like the ones they sell at amusement parks and such. They're soooooo good. Mm...maybe I should go make some more now.

INGREDIENTS:
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water
4 cups whole almonds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.
2. Lightly beat the egg white; add water, and beat until frothy but not stiff. Add the nuts, and stir until well coated. Mix the sugar, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the nuts. Toss to coat, and spread evenly on the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until golden. Allow to cool, then store nuts in airtight containers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fuck off with your sofa units and serine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -Tyler Durden(Fight Club)
openwindow
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004 10:37:51 AM »

Funny that you guys are posting this.... I just made the cinnamon roasted almonds this morning using that exact same recipe -- they turned out great!  I highly recommend it for those with a sweet tooth.

Sharon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Sandra Brown
Davy Rothbart Reveals Who He Admires Most
Meet Author Amy Wechsler
Authors Reveal Their Favorites
Meet Author Philip Smith
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...