A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cant do pysanka (easter eggs) anymore, what instead?  (Read 984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2006 03:47:43 PM »

My family have been creating pysanka forever but since I've become vegan a few years ago the whole pysanka tradition has been put on hold.  Ethically it's a problem but I really REALLY miss doing it. 

Some of my old eggs:

So, my question to crafty vegans, or anyone else who wants to respond, what do we do now?  Batik would be the obvious choice, but it's not very friendly time/expense/child wise.  And I have a box full of dye, kistka, beeswax, etc that I should do something with?

Anyone have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambiguouslyspecific
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 08:56:34 PM »

hmmm could you recreate eggs out of something else?  I was thinking of possiblities but I don't know if it'll be too hard.
Like plastic is basically impossible, unless maybe you paper mache it and then paint on the newspaper?  Or clay?  But clay could be too heavy.
I don't know about any other materials that you could paint on or scuplt into eggs.
Maybe just make a painting.  Oh!! You could use wooden eggs! I've seen wooden eggs in craft stores.
haha sorry for blabbing on..well that's all i could think of but maybe someone else has a cooler idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy  Proverbs 14:10
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006 09:05:48 PM »

Trying to think of materials that may take the dye similar to the shells....do they sell plain shaped blank ceramic pieces at the craft store perhaps?

As far as the batik. Would it be any more friendly if instead of large scale fabric you did small pieces? Those would look really nice as framed art. Or are there any papers that could take the dye?

Glad to see you wanting to keep the technique alive but adjusted to your views. The designs looks lovely.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006 01:29:53 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

I shouldn't dismiss batik so quickly.  I think what I'll do is experiment with fast acting cold water dyes (maybe even the traditional egg dye and dylon cold water dye also) and see if I can make up some two-dimensional fabric eggs, using the kistkas and beeswax.  Or use a batik wand if the wax won't penetrate the fabric.  The major problems would be getting the dye to take quickly enough (it would suck to have to wait an hour between each colour) and drying the fabric after the dye (hairdryer?).  To get the wax off I could iron the fabric between newspapers, so the wax melts onto newspaper which I dispose of after.  Ironing would probably make the fabric colourfast too.

(You know you're a craftster when you have two irons, one dirty for mucky crafts and the other one clean for seams when your sewing).

Afterwards, if they turn out, maybe I could put them in a scrapbook reserved just for them.  Lord knows, I have enough blank books lying around after my bookbinding phase.  After several years it might be nice memorabilia.  A few of the nicest ones could certainly be framed, individually or in a composition.  Which might make good family gifts, eh?

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking! 

Okay, I've got some experimenting to do now (Easter is coming up!)  Thank-you again for the comments and getting my brain moving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelovedGoddess
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006 10:53:36 PM »

What about using wooden eggs?  I'm sure they are available commercially or you could get a local wood turner to make some for you.  It would be a pity to give up such a beautiful craft.  I don't know how you make the eggs but can picture some done with different colour woodstains to show the grain. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 11/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 4/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 1/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 3/11
How to Knit a Flat Panel on a Loom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...