A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: more fabric flowers! and tutorials! yeah!  (Read 51608 times)
Tags for this thread: summer_crafts , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2004 02:19:01 PM »

I wanted to make my little sister a special something for her birthday, and I know she's been admiring the fabric flower brooches in the shops lately, so rather than shell out the $30 CDN for a mass-market piece, I decided to make my own. This is loosely based on a design for a tulle hairpin that I found in (EEK) Martha Stewart Weddings magazine, but because I was working with organza instead of tulle, I couldn't do the folds quite the same way...

To make the petals, cut out a number of rectangles (about 2x4") of fabric. (I made about 24 petals for this flower, but you could make more or less, depending on the look you want.) Trim the top edge into a point, removing the upper corners --- basically, you want the shape of a gothic arch. Then, on each petal, fold the sides to the centre, and to the centre again, until you've gathered the fabric into a little scroll. Sew the bottom tightly together, and trim off any excess fabric. (I tried to take pictures of this process, but it's too fiddly to shop up well, especially with transparent fabric!) If you want the petals to be more curved than tubular, try folding the top edges in to the centre, and then folding the sides in --- the top will unfurl somewhat, but you get a more natural petal-like shape in the end.

Cut a small circle of fabric (something sturdy) and then start sewing the petals to it, one by one. Sew one at each compass poiint (quarters), and then fill in the gaps (eighths), and fill in the gaps again (sixteenths) until the circle is filled out. Then, repeat the process again to create a second tier of petals --- for best results, use slightly smaller petals for the second tier. If you like, add more tiers, until your flower looks full.

Sew a bead or button or whatever you like to the centre, to finish it off and to hide the stiching. I used a plain white glass bead, and then painted it with nail polish to match my fabric (white looked too cheap against the silver).

Sew a safety pin or brooch back to the back of the fabric circle. (Or, if you made a smaller flower, you could sew it to a bobby pin... Or you could attach the flower to a skirt or dress or whatever...)

(Apologies for the blurriness, I didn't want to use a flash because the organza was too reflective.)

I used the flower as a decoration on the rest of my gift to my sister, in coordinating silvery fabrics, but once they're unwrapped she can take off the flower and wear it!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2004 12:16:35 PM by trufflegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004 02:23:16 PM »

I did promise flowers, not just a flower, didn't I?

Here's one that my sister made for me:

To make it, she chose three coordinating fabrics (in this case, a greeny-blue shot organza, a green silk, and a brown-with-green-flowers rayon) and laid them all out together. She cut out a series of flower-shapes, cutting all three layers at once. Each set of shapes should be larger than the last. Stack them, largest-to-smallest, and turn the flowers so that the layers all show nicely. Sew them together at the centre, add a bead or a button, and sew a pin onto the back. Hey presto!

This design is nice and flat, so it can go under a jacket and not get crushed...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004 12:15:56 PM by trufflegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004 02:30:30 PM »

all of those are fabulous! I do love the one you made for her so very dearly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redlipsredboots
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004 09:20:12 PM »

fancy sister-time flowers!! can you feel the love?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joanieponytail

must make stuff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004 09:35:49 PM »

They're beautiful. And thanks for the good instructions. I have had this scrap of gold organza sitting on my "desk" for a while. It may well become a flower or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus loves me, this I know.
snazziness
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004 09:19:10 PM »

Grin ive also been admiring these flowers at the mall.. and ive been wanting to make an attempt to sew one of my own! thanks for the awesome tutorial, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eggo my leggo
AutuMn NicOle
Hi

I'm a guinea pig! Wheek!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004 11:59:47 PM »

Thanks for this tutorial. Now I wont have to buy those overpriced ones!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Renazy
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004 08:15:26 PM »

Cheesy
Your flowers are fantastic!!! I was just at the Gap today and they wanted $12.50 for a really small flower pin. I am going to pull out some of my scrap quilting fabric and see what magic I can create. Thanks for the pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004 07:10:20 AM »

Just to show a variation on the first type of flower above: I made a poncho to wear to a wedding this past weekend, and added a flower pin to anchor the poncho (otherwise it slides around on my shoulders) and to visually balance the beaded trim on the bottom edge. I used the same technique, but with a button in the centre instead of a bead...

I tried to take pics of the process, to make a better tutorial, but found that trying to take photos of little shimmery bits of fabric with one hand, while holding everything together with the other hand, just really didn't work. I could probably draw the process better, if anyone wants, or else the verbal tutorial will just have to do!

Anyway, here's the poncho: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15162.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessicapoundstone
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007 05:34:27 PM »

Love the red & green flower - looks like even a non-sewer (ahem, like me) would have a chance at making one that looked pretty good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vogue Magazine Reveals Their 10 Best Dressed American Women Of The Year
Lady In Red: Rihanna Rocks Barely There Calvin Klein Dress
Kristen Stewart Goes From Sexy To Modest In A Day
Fashion Trends: All About The Boots
How to Refresh Your Office Look for Winter
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...