A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Crochet Olympics Official Thread  (Read 12343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flybabytina
I'm a long haired, barefoot, crocheting momma

Professional Pumpkin Sculpter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006 07:08:20 AM »

Ok, count me in! I consider my level "advanced beginner" who isn't afraid to try intermediate projects! LOL My project I am picking to complete is a "Mrs. Who Shrug" You can see the pattern and what not here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6750 I haven't made anything wearable besides slippers and hats yet, so this will be a challenge! It is not a HARD pattern, just a bigger finished piece than I have ever done before. What fun!

Tina

BTW, did anybody make a blog button for this yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy store now! - http://flybabytina.etsy.com
BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006 10:25:21 AM »

I'm an advanced beginner who has done mostly scarves, blankets, and shawls. I've just learned about increasing and decreasing and working in the round, so I've decided that I'm going to do a zafu.
http://www.ami-da.com/meditation/ix627.html
I don't have kids to slow me down, but I have a husband...does that count? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006 06:57:12 AM by BluegrassBeagles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:
http://swampwitch.wordpress.com/

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
Aphadon
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006 12:12:20 PM »

Hi, I'm Tina, and I'm an alcoholic... no, wait, wrong place! XD I would consider myself novice, moving towards intermediate... My project is going to be a sweater - I've been wanting to make myself one since I started, and I finally found a nice pattern, but I have many other small things to do so I think doing those up to practice then hitting the major project for this is a good plan. Between work, school, my daughter, and all my other hobbies, this sure will test my skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006 08:40:28 AM »

I'm definately in.  I don't know what level I'd put myself at, I guess advanced, but I'm no expert.  My event will be designing and finishing a tank top.  I'm going to use the training time to swatch and work the pattern out on paper, and then my actual olympic project will be testing the pattern, working out the bugs, and constructing the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
lauriemk
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006 01:19:38 PM »

I'm Laurie and I am a beginner crocheter.  Thus far I have completed one scarf, one hat, and the first 3 rows of a granny square.  However, for the crochet Olympics I am gong to make these http://www.crochetme.com/issue_1/socks_in_shoes.html socks from Crochet Me.  Also, I am going to make an amigurumi animal of some sort.  I am the slowest crocheter ever, so those two things should be a challenge for me.  My training will be the procuring of yarn as I have not built up much of a stash yet.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
academy252
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006 05:54:35 PM »

I just started crocheting about two weeks ago and would LOVE to do this challenge.  I will look for a project - probably a prayer shawl I saw in Crochet Fantasy magazine and hone my stitches to be ready to start.  This sounds like such a wonderful and fun challenge.  Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006 06:55:52 PM »

I'm new to this group but not new to crocheting as I've been doing it for over 30 years.  I would like to say I'm advanced but if I say that then I'm expected to always do 'hard' projects and sometimes easy ones are fun.

So, let's say I'm intermediate-advanced.  I am going to make a project I found in a back issue of Decorative Crochet (March 1991) and it's a pillow called Four in One.  It's going to be a challenge for me since it's a diagram rather than a written pattern and I'm not used to these.

My basic training will be deciding whether I'm going to use size 20 thread and make it 18 3/4 inches or use size 5 thread and make it 26 3/4 inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006 08:45:22 AM »

Ok guys, I think we should do team buttons...check this out http://knottygirls.com/jenlablog/index.php... what do you all think!?! Lilepad and I have been brainstorming about some ideas...anyone have anything they want to add? We are talking an official Crochet Olympics Button as well as maybe having a patch done, and an idea for not only a Gold medal but a silver and bronze for those who feel their effort was maybe not quite Gold material... Keep training, I am sure many of you will not be on line as the Olympic deadline is closing in on us and many are ramping up the training schedule. Remember the best chocolates are those with 70% or more cocoa butter content, they will say right on the labels, don't settle for less it is just wasted training time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
LadyBeBop
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006 08:14:45 PM »

This is actually my first post on this board, so please be kind.   Smiley

I'm not too sure what level I'm in...I'm not an intermediate, but I'm far from a beginner.  I've been crocheting off and on for over 30 years.  I crochet many stuffed animals, but I haven't made my way to the doilies.

I'm just completing an Elvis graph afghan as a late Christmas present to the family.  I'm looking to make another graph afghan; this one smaller, for my still unborn great niece.  (She will probably get here before the Olympics, as my niece's due date is next Saturday). 

I just found a site with some cool graphs.  http://www.breienmetplezier.nl/index2.htm  I think I'm going to make the Snow White afghan.  It's 46 stitches across, and 80 rows.  I think I can do that part in 16 days..however I'm not too sure about the border to make the initial motif as afghan size.  I'll probably use a size J hook to make it as big as possible.

My training...well, the Elvis afghan is a good start.  I'm already deciphering the Snow White graph into written instructions.  I'll complete the Care Bear that I'm making for my great niece (to give to her in the hospital upon her birth), and also the Good Luck Care Bear I've been promising to my daughter.  I'll plan quick and easy meals for the 16 days during the Olympics (to cut down on unnecessary scrubbing time), and I'll throughly clean the house the week before (so I won't be forced...by my neatnik hubby....to waste my Saturday with a broom and mop).

I have a question about the actual start and finish time.  Keeping in mind that the opening and closing ceremonies will be on tape delay here in the US, do we start when the torch is actually lit in Torino, or when it is shown on television here. 

Similarly, do we stop when the torch is extinguished in Torino, or when it is shown on television here?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006 08:17:15 PM by LadyBeBop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellie
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006 08:21:19 PM »

I have a question about the actual start and finish time.  Keeping in mind that the opening and closing ceremonies will be on tape delay here in the US, do we start when the torch is actually lit in Torino, or when it is shown on television here. 

Similarly, do we stop when the torch is extinguished in Torino, or when it is shown on television here?

Kat with a K asks "if I remember correctly, the flame is not actually lit until partway through the opening ceremonies (?). Does this mean that we need to knit something else while watching the beginning part of the TV coverage and then switch when they lit the flame? Or can we cast on when the opening ceremonies start?

Here's the executive decision. The Opening Ceremonies start at 8pm Torino time. Torino is six hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, which would mean starting at 2pm in the afternoon.
How about we agree on 2pm February 10th, no matter where you are? (Does that help those of you without a tv?)

-- http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2006/01/17/isnt_it_a_little_warm_in_here.html

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drawing a Cartoon Giraffe
Drawing a Cartoon Lion
Drawing a Cartoon Horse
Drawing a Cartoon Cat
Drawing a Cartoon Dog
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #107 Announced – Bottle It Up
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...