A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,377
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift for a cook in the family  (Read 965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2004 01:46:18 PM »

Just thought I'd share an idea I put together a couple of years ago for my grandmother, who is a fantastic cook. Over the course of several visits to her place, I snuck around and collected her best recipes, copying them out late into the night. I typed them out, and asked each of my cousins, aunts, and uncles to write out their favourite one on a piece of card that I had cut to 4"x6". When I got them all back from the relatives, I compiled all the cards in a photo album, and added family picture throughout. This way, Granny has a collection of all her favourite recipes, made even more personal by having each of her loved ones add their own unique touches.

Then, because my family is spread out all over North America, I put all the recipes and many of the pictures together into a web-site, so that ALL of us can access them. Now, we all have access to her fabulous tourtiere recipe or her infamous pink mac-and-cheese whenever we want, wherever we want.

If anyone's interested, the site's at http://www3.sympatico.ca/anne.whitcombe/recipes.html --- happy cooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Goddess
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004 04:49:56 PM »

that's so sweet, what a great idea. Further down the line you'll be able to make it a generational thing with recipes from everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004 05:11:57 PM »

My husband and I did something like this at around our wedding. at our shower we had everyone bring their favorite picture of us and their favorite recipe and took all the hand written pieces from everyone and pictures and made a book and on one page would be my grandmothers farvorite picture of me and then her meatloaf recipe. Then we made bound books out of  color copies and gave them to our mothers and grandmothers. and kept one for ourselves. Its neat because it has all these photos of the two of us growing up and all these hand wriitten recipes.
Hillary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004 04:09:47 PM »

Goddess: Actually, I ended up deciding that it wasn't fair to all the other good cooks in my family just to post recipes from my one grandmother, so I set up a sister site (there's a link from the Granny site) with recipes from the rest of my family, my friends, and my own concoctions. It's fun to see what feedback I get --- usually I get one or two e-mails a month from people around the world who have just stumbled onto the page.

Hillarybillary: I love the idea of doing a group cookbook as a reception or shower activity! I actually considered doing just that for my own wedding (next Sept.), but felt that it was too close to what I've already done. Still, I would looooove to do something like it. Someone suggested that my shower theme should be a cookie exchange, and everyone would make a couple of dozen cookies and bring copies of the recipe, so everyone would go home with a variety of cookies and the recipes to match. (They don't call me the cookie queen for nothing --- I make a couple of thousand cookies every Christmas as gifts, never mind the rest of the year!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Need to Know: Ron Burgundy Autobiography, Dementia, and a New Boomer Trend
CoverGirl and Hunger Games Makeup Collection Revealed
How to Apply Makeup on the Go
Daytime Eye Makeup Tutorial
Tips For Plump Lips and Air Dried Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...