A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purses from pant legs!  (Read 5945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2004 01:37:52 PM »

If you're fond of making old jeans into cutoffs or reconstructing them into skirts, then you know that when you're done, you end up with the bottoms of pant legs lying around. I decided to take the bottom of a pair of jeans and turn it into a purse!

It's about as easy as you can get, since the side seams are already sewn, and the bottom (which becomes the top of the purse) is already hemmed. Basically, all you need to do is sew up the one raw edge (which becomes the bottom of the purse), add a handle, and decorate! I added a couple of other pieces of denim, frayed slightly to give a worn effect, and a collection of buttons as decoration, all sewn on by hand with contrasting thread. For the handle, I used an old belt that I wore as a kid, which was basically just cotton webbing with a sliding buckle that I left on because I thought it looked fun --- but you could use almost anything.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004 12:17:09 PM by trufflegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Crafty Jule
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004 01:51:47 PM »

Cute bag & awesoe recycling!  Very cool you used a belt from when you were a kid

Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weRnotALONE
The All Powerful Zippy

yumm... talking muffins...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004 06:21:12 PM »

neato!

I remember making a purse at this daycare thing when iwas in 4th grade. they cut off the legs and used the "bum" part as the main bag bit, but i like your idea a lot better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
riotpirate
Girl

My cat and I are in love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004 08:50:26 PM »

using the belt also makes the strap adjustable, good idea. i love stuff decorated with buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wild Wind
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005 08:15:26 AM »

The button decor is really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Welcome to my Blog!
and to my Flickr gallery!
arrhythmia
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005 06:33:42 PM »

Love the colors. The belt strap adds a needed bunch of color and texture. I like the buttons, too! I tried something similar with an army green pair of pants. Your's turned out great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JaneGtar
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005 01:41:23 PM »

these bags are always fun to make.  I like how you added the buttons to decorate.  Cute idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i <3 j... and penguins!

my spot on the web: http://www.geocites.com/penguininthesun
littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005 07:51:34 AM »

That looks great! I'm currently making one with cut outs of blue lace on it. Somehow I dont think mine will look anywhere near as good as yours, but it's fun to do anyway.

Jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modgirl
Vinyl, Lipstick, & DIY

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005 06:22:43 PM »

Hey that looks great.  But is there a reason why you flip it upside down to make the bottom of the pant leg the top of the purse?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew Be It

looking for a Readymade issue
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005 01:15:48 PM »

Happy to see this thread gettin' some action! I'd love to see other people's versions of this idea...

But is there a reason why you flip it upside down to make the bottom of the pant leg the top of the purse?

Simple. Laziness! The bottom hem is already a finished edge, so the ONLY seam that needed sewing was the raw/cut edge that became the bottom of the purse. If I'd used the pant leg the right way up, I'd have had to make a bottom seam AND hem the top. (For the record, I handsewed this at a time when I was away from my sewing machine, so the fewer seams, the better!) Anyway, I was happy to preserve the original hem-stitching, since that's part of what makes the purse so obviously (and, IMHO, enjoyably) reconstructed... Otherwise it's just an ordinary denim bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Focus Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set ISO Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Format Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Flash Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...