A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit Ruffle Scarf with "Pattern"  (Read 4975 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

finecraftnerd

may knit while driving...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2006 12:32:24 PM »

The sunday before last the Washington Post printed a pattern for a ruffle scarf in the Sunday Source Section.  Three people who know I knit pointed it out to me and said I should I make it. It looked like fun so I decided to take their advice! Here it is:

I started with one leftover ball of a textured TLC yarn, but then I ran out so I used a dark brown for the last row and casting off. (I don't know what brand of yarn it is. It's some cheep acrylic stuff I pulled out of the clearance bin at  A.C. Moore.)  I really think that the edging adds something so I'm really glad I ran out of the first yarn!

The pattern is really easy if you already know garter stitch and increasing! I'd post a link to the pattern but I think that you have to sign in to the Website, and it's so easy I'll just type it out:
On VERY LONG round needles (size 13 to 15) cast on 100 stitches of worsted weight yarn.  On the first row, increase one into every stitch, therefore doubling the number of stitches.  Knit the next row.  Repeat this 4 times until you have 1600 stitches (100, 200, 400, 800, 1600).  Then knit one more row and cast off! Easy!
Edit: Here's the link to the original article, apparently you don't have to sing in:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/05/AR2006010502521.html These insturctions might be a little more clear.  Smiley Thanks rhiandmoi!

I feel I have to really stress the LONG round needles.  I used size 13 needles and decided to make up the length by starting with 120 stitches.  By the time I got to the last row before cast off my too short round needles gave out on me and I had to do some quick stitch rescue, then go out and buy another set I ended up with this nice little mess:

But it was still a really fun and fairly fast, it only took me 4 days! (say 8 or 9 hours including crisis management) If anyone Else dares to tackle this project I'd love to see the outcome!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006 08:12:05 PM by finecraftnerd » THIS ROCKS   Logged

raised in the suburbs by eccentrics and nerds...

Etsy Store:
http://ChelseaEBird.etsy.com

My jewelry website:
www.ChelseaEBird.com
Knitterboy14

GIRLS ALOUD R MY WORLD!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 12:38:13 PM »

WOW wat a great scarf...it gives me the sense of romance because of the colours. Its so kool! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006 02:46:34 PM »

Wow!

One question--are you knitting in the round, or back and forth? And about how long would you suggest the needles be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
rhiandmoi
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006 02:50:05 PM »

You should link to the pattern even though it is so simple. That pattern belongs to someone and they should get proper credit.

here is the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/05/AR2006010502521.html  I didn't have to sign in. Although according to the article, she "borrowed" the pattern from her LYS.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006 02:54:05 PM by rhiandmoi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006 03:39:34 PM »

Good thing you ran out of yarn in the MC because it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emily
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006 04:22:25 PM »

I made the same scarf, same color as yours even Cheesy  No pics though...already gave it to my mom, she loved it!

Lion also has the pattern in both knit: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kmm-spiralScarf.html?noImages=

and crochet: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50370.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
finecraftnerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 08:11:01 PM »

Thank you for all your compliments and helpful links!

SeeMe--> I knit back and forth, it was just really important to have all the space on the round needles!  As for how long they should be, the author of the article (now 2 links above) recomends 46 inch  rounds, but I think I would have been alright (if still slightly cramped) with the 39 inch ones that I purchased after the meltdown. Roll Eyes  Have fun if you make one! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Store:

My jewelry website:
www.ChelseaEBird.com
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006 08:14:05 PM »

Here's my ruffle scarf made with Lone Star yarn by Alchemy.  It's a wool/mohair blend.  This is a great beginner's pattern.  The last row's a bee-yotch though-- 1600 stitches.  I needed to use a 56" long circ!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
finecraftnerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006 08:51:58 PM »

Your scarf is beautiful!  I love the color, and I bet that yarn is delightfully warm and soft!  I agree with you about that last row, it seems to go on forever!  Thank you for sharing your pic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Store:

My jewelry website:
www.ChelseaEBird.com
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006 09:28:28 PM »

Finecraftnerd, I love that you used a contrasting color for the last row and bind off.  It's beautiful. 

I tried using some Kidsilk Haze in magenta and a deep persimmony color.  It turned into a fuzzy tangle.  Now I'm attempting another scarf using  Mountain Goat yarn by Mountain Colors in various shades of blue, indigo and purple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mascara Moves That Will Make Your Lashes Pop
How to Rock Clumpy Mascara
How to Feel and Look Your Best This Fall
Beauty Test Lab: Skin Inc Pure Revival Peel Review
3 DIY Facials From Courtney Bingham Sixx
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...