A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,075
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy shop - good or bad???  (Read 1516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 17, 2006 11:53:45 AM »

If you have an Etsy shop, do you sell very much of what you post on there?  Is it mostly from shoppers already on there?  Or referrals from your signature or word of mouth?  I'm considering starting there until I get enough stock to get my full website up but I don't know if it would be a waste of time.  It's definitely a waste of time to try and sell them on Ebay.  What do you think of Etsy as an alternative?  Any feedback is appreciated.  Smiley  TIA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 12:25:51 PM »

Well, I've been researching Etsy and looking at average sales in the Bags & Purses category for the past week. I too am planning on opening a small shop there. Ebay just isn't worth it. You will never make a sale there when you are up against people who post retail bags for sale.

It depends on the market you're after. There are some store owners that have sold 40-50 items since opening up in October. While there are some unfortunate souls that still haven't sold a thing. Some people go there to sell funky stuff. Others are selling really sophisticated diaper bags.

A survey of my coworkers indicates that they were drawn to posts that had professional looking pictures that really showed off the colors of the bags' fabrics.

It'll be slow to start up, as any business is sure to be, but after a while, your Etsy shop will get sales trickling in from word of mouth or by your own advertising. I plan on spreading the link around to family and friends first, then letting it make its way around from there... but I'm just doing it for fun on the side to justify my sewing expenditures... if you're doing this as a legitimate business venture, then I wouldn't deal through Etsy as not a lot of people know about it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006 12:46:29 PM »

Thank you for the well researched information.  It will definitely help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

incraftwetrust
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006 12:49:52 PM »

I have only sold 7 items since November, but I know it will get better and I am in this for the long run.  I would say try Etsy.  It's much less expensive than eBay and there is such a supportive Etsy community out there.  I promote it whenever I can and believe it Etsy 100%.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006 01:48:44 PM »

Well I put 3 items up there for now which were some of my first projects so we'll see what happens.  What was funny was that immediately I had people viewing the bags left and right.  You don't see that on Ebay!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006 02:02:24 PM »

Well Etsy's default listing is by the most recent additions downward. So yours will be up top until someone else adds one.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold a 14 Piece Origami Star
How to Make a Square Origami Box
How to make an Origami Butterfly from Water Bomb Base
How to Make your Own CD Cover
How to Fold an Origami Lucky Star
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...