A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Olympics Anyone** had to be done  (Read 2361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006 07:44:31 AM »

Adding on to javastain's suggestions...

I've thought about doing an altar cloth with a pattern crocheted into it, angels or something. Anybody have ideas where I can get tips on creating a pattern in a piece?

I like the rug idea...I've been entertaining that thought for a while.

Also, for those of us (meaning me) who have not done much in the round, I've thought about doing a round zafu (which is a meditation pillow in a crescent shape at 15"x71/2"x8" or round 16" x 8").
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:
http://swampwitch.wordpress.com/

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006 01:57:22 PM »

Adding on to javastain's suggestions...

I've thought about doing an altar cloth with a pattern crocheted into it, angels or something. Anybody have ideas where I can get tips on creating a pattern in a piece?

I like the rug idea...I've been entertaining that thought for a while.

Also, for those of us (meaning me) who have not done much in the round, I've thought about doing a round zafu (which is a meditation pillow in a crescent shape at 15"x71/2"x8" or round 16" x 8").

I have a great tip for making your fabric strips into yarn, let me know if you decide to do it (rug) and want some help. As for the design into the fabric, do you mean to put something onto an already existing fabric or make a design in your crocheted fabric? You can do something in filet crochet which you can design on graph paper. But the filet is 'hole-y' like a doily, if you wanted to do something more embroidered, you could create a free form angel and applique it onto fabric either by sewing or even with fabric glue?.... happy Olympic Training!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
lauriemk
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006 04:49:57 PM »

If I can find the yarn I want in time I think I am going to try a shawl.  I am more or less a beginner and I haven't made anything that large yet.

I've also been wanting to make the chicken viking hat for a long time, and I know that would be challenging.  Maybe I'll keep that in mind as a back up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006 08:45:38 AM »

Bluegrass, would filet crochet interest you?  I know lots of altar cloth patterns that are done with filet.  And it's fairly easy to do your own thing with it.  All you need is graph paper to plan the design.  You could spend your training time learning the technique.  I guess another way to do motifs on an altar cloth may be to crochet actual angel motifs such as those you can find for ornaments, and then applique them to the linen.  Sounds like an ambitous challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
lauriemk
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006 01:20:56 PM »

My dream shawl yarn is too $$$ for me right now, so for the olympics I am going to make socks and an amiugurumi.  Yay!  I am excited. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006 02:38:27 PM »

Love the sox! Please post... we'll do a gallery at the end of the Olympics..

Anyone know how to do a blog button? Hubby does, but he is certain I am cheating on him with some guy named Craftster!!!  Wink  It would be like pulling teeth to get his help... I can't seem to get an e-mail to go through to the yarn harlot to ask if we can use hers...

I have sketched a design for a patch, would anyone be intersted in a patch for your crochet bag or your Olympic Letterman's Jacket? I think I can get them printed for about 3 bucks each (plus shipping which can't be much)...  I have to order 50 I think... let me know if anyone thinks this is a good idea... It is a cool sketch, I think anyway, and I was going to have them print Crochet Olympics 2006 on it... I'll scan and post it too...

Gotta get to training....Chain, slip, chain, slip, single, double, single, double....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
lilepad
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006 03:06:47 PM »

it'd be pretty easy to do a button. If you have a sketch, I could maybe make it into something. PM me...or any artist that you know (I'm not an artist, but am handy with things artsy).

a patch would be really fun if there was enough interest. If not, we could always just print our own on iron-on transfers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006 09:45:00 PM »

Beppy...I've just learned new stitches as I encounter new projects. For the first two years I crocheted, I thought there was only one stitch! A friend, who isn't very crafty but can crochet, taught me a half double. So I hdc scarves and blankets and thought, "how do people do those other things?" Then one day I had the bright idea to look it up. Duh! My new favorite is the trible treble. It's just fun to say triple treble. I've got another window open right now that I'll retreat to to learn filet. Thanks for the tip!

academy...I'm finishing up a ruana for my mom which I got from a prayer shawl pattern. I'm planning on making myself one, too. They're great fun and a good way to get some new stitches under your belt.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006 09:52:31 PM by BluegrassBeagles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
Homerof2

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006 07:14:16 PM »

My new favorite is the trible treble. It's just fun to say triple treble.

When I first read trible treble, I thought Wow! a new stitch, wonder how you make it, then I read further and saw you mean a triple treble.  Now I'm not so excited...because I don't like making those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006 03:13:16 PM »

I have a great tip for making your fabric strips into yarn, let me know if you decide to do it (rug) and want some help.

Although I'm not doing a rug for the Olympics, I'd love to know how to do this because I do plan on making one ASAP for the computer room, which we just painted orange last night. Ahhh, it's so nice to have the dirty yellow gone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Straightening Iron
Hair Scrunching Tips
How to Bleach Your Hair
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...