A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any nice looking men's patterns?  (Read 3075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2004 11:11:39 AM »

Hi,
I have made knitted sweaters/hats/scarves/bags/slippers for everyone I know except for my husband (because he is incredibly picky...and because so many mens' patterns are...um...ugly).  Wink
does anyone have a suggestion for a sweater or vest or something using chunky wool? A free pattern would be good, or a pattern I could pay to download (I live FAR from any yarn stores).
I would really appreciate any suggestions!

By the way, does the 'boyfriend sweater' curse apply to those already wed?
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
elysium
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004 11:32:46 AM »

I just got the Folk Bags book by Vicki Square and my bf loves the Monk's Travel Satchel and the Irish Ceel. They're great messenger-like shoulder bags. Perfect for guys I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004 12:56:47 PM »

I've been on a similar quest--my bf and I just got married, so I figured it was finally time for me to knit him a sweater.  I started 'Anniversary' from Knitty (not sure which issue), but I had little luck with it.  There were certain details in the pattern I didn't like.  I finally gave up and am free-knitting him a simple ribbed sweater with a stand-up neck.  So far, so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004 01:06:13 PM »

I know there is a really nice one in stitch n bitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
Jason
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004 01:24:14 PM »

I found this link some time ago, when i was thinking about possibly maybe learning to knit.

I believe that I found that site through this thread

hope that this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004 03:51:18 PM »

There's an attractive pattern at the Lion Brand free patterns site.  It uses their Fisherman's Wool.  Their website is www.lionbrand.com.  The one I like is called the Cape Cod Pullover.  There's another nice one called the "Knitted Striped Pullover" made out of Wool-Ease Chunky.  It's nice, but appears to require circular needles for some undoubtedly dastardly purpose...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004 05:19:48 AM »

thanks for all the responses...
elysium, i love the idea of a bag. that might be something that even HE would like! i will look into getting that book.

emling, i also looked at that sweater in knitty, but similarly wanted to change too many things about it!

cathou, i must be the last knitter on the planet who doesn't have stitch n' bitch, but my birthday is coming up so i'm going to ask for it  Smiley

j/a/s/o/n, those are beautiful patterns, thanks...

and,
lothruin, i really like those. i might try the knitted striped, changing the stripes, i think. and, yes, i'd like to know what's the use of circular needles? (although they are better than DPNs, in my opinion).

i'll keep you posted on any progess.
check out my thread in completed projects... i just finished some slippers for my kids!
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004 06:47:13 AM »

Well, I probably will come around to circular needles some day.  I've never tried to use them.  Of course, they're intimidating to me, because I'm what you might call a new knitter.  (Working on my second ever project, which is a knitted toddler's sundress from a vintage pattern, using recycled cotton yarn from a thrift store sweater because the yarn in the pattern isn't made anymore, and anyway it was acrylic, which I didn't think would be good for a Nebraska summer...Am I too ambitious?)  Anyway, since I'm still getting the hang of regular ol' needles, the circulars, and even DPN's put me off a bit.  Someday I'll knit that sweater for my husband, though.  I swear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
bftscgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004 08:12:38 PM »

I am not sure if these are what you are looking for, but I thought that they were okay. The best part about them is that they are free and I am sure all of the very talented knitters can modify them to best fit their needs.

http://www.rareyarns.com.au/patterns/RareRugby.pdf

http://www.rareyarns.com.au/patterns/RareSimplyBoucle.pdf 

http://www.rareyarns.com.au/patterns/RareTrooper.pdf

http://www.rareyarns.com.au/patterns/RareSimplywhispy.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20030417060501/www.yarnforward.com/bomber.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004 08:21:39 AM »

Ahhh, circular needles.  They can be a lifesaver, really!  They're good for when you're knitting something big, and/or heavy because they keep the weight sort of in front of you instead of off to the side as you knit across (yes, you can knit flat on circular needles, you just pretend like your two needles aren't attached and flip it between your hands like normal).  And a 31" circular (for example) lets you knit something that is like 31" wide  (which you'd never be able to fit on your regular 10-14" straight needles).  So baby blankets are usually done on circulars.  And afghans, too, I'd bet (but I've never done one).

For a men's sweater, they could be suggesting the circular because of the big/heavy reasoning, or for a nice smooth neckband with no seam.  And for that, circulars are easy as pie.  You typically pick up the stitches around the neckline (so there's no worry about possibly twisting your work) and then you just knit around and around until it's as long as you want.  Actually, a neckband is probably the most painless introduction to circular knitting. 

I can't believe you're brave enough to tackle a men's sweater, but afraid of li'l ole circs!  C'mon, try 'em, you'll be glad you did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Duck Commander Matriarch Miss Kay Has a Cookbook!
An Extended Look at a Great Game
Gambling 101 with Artie Lange
Mean Book Reviews with Artie Lange
Jet Black and the Ninja Wind
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...