A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
348 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedazzler and other studs???  (Read 15480 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« on: January 17, 2006 06:42:10 AM »

I was hoping to get my niece a stud setter of some sort. She wants to be able to put in studs, rhinestones, etc...
 Now I have found GeMagic with everything included for about $40 here
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/allstar/gemagic/157360/

I have seen real BeDazzlers in the $25 range, but I usually have to get extra studs and such.

I have also seen the "like" Bedazzlers which don't actually seem to have a brand name posted.

My main question I guess is, can I use most studs in all of these machines, or do you need specific studs and rhinestones for the specific machines. I don't want to buy her a machine that I can't find refill studs for. Or are they just interchangeable?

I really appreciate any help. She is interested in crafting now, so I'm trying to encourage that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006 07:00:47 PM »

that is a very good question. I have thought about these myself for quite some time now but I haven't been able to find out if any type will work as a refil. Even the link you shared doesn't tell you if you need to buy refils through them  all the time. COuld be tough if they go out of business. I'll be watching this post to see if anyone else knows. Thank you for asking this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wandalicious
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006 07:05:42 PM »

This product seems a little sketchy to me. All they sell on that site is one product, and no mention of refills. One thousand items seems like a lot, but the words "special studs" stuck out to me. So when the "special" ones sell out, then what? You are stuck with a $40 stapler!? My rule is: can you get the refills at JoAnn's? Michael's? Otherwise it is too much hassle to go to one special store or order online. Junquette is right - what if the company goes out of business?  There is toll-free number on their "Customer Service" link - bottom of page. Have you called it to see about refills?

I wanted the Bedazzler at Christmas but couldn't find one - they seem to be sold out everywhere! and are going for TOO much on e-bay ($50-80), but I did buy the Westrim rhinestone setter (about $20) from the RhinestoneGuy.com. His site is really cool, with lots of advice, and I even went over and met him and he was really nice and told me everything I need to know to add sparkles to EVERYTHING.

Call him - he may have some Bedazzlers in stock again (he was sold out at Christmas time) and all the stuff he sells uses interchangeable parts. He told me that all the Bedazzlers and "like" Bedazzlers are pretty cheap and meant more as "toys" than for serious costume work. Probably perfect for your neice unless she gets serious. He may know about this "GeMagic" tool and can tell you what it is...
Good luck and keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006 08:01:38 AM »

Thank you. I went to my local Ben Franklin yesterday, and they just happened to have one Bedazzler there. So I bought that for $20. I also bought some rhinestones (about 100) and equal tiffany settings. I also bought her a small bead organizer box, to keep the studs and such in. And a clear plastic box to keep it all in. Hopefully it will give her a good start, and I always know what to get her for other holidays (refill studs and stones), so I can keep my eyes open for sales.

Thank you for the link though, I will maybe contact him about the GeMagic one for myself anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eye5
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006 03:05:38 PM »

I just called customer service for the GeMagic and asked them how I could order more studs.  They said you'd have to call them and order it.  they have a few packages to choose from.  From 100 reinstones to a case of 3000 assorted ($79 not including S&H).  hope this helps.  i'm still not sure i want to buy one myself yet.

what about the Bedazzler one.  can you buy refills at any craft store?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006 04:03:31 PM »

I know some craft stores carry bedazzler refills. But they are sort of hit or miss. One place will have tons, then a few weeks later, they have none, and no plans to order more. I haven't found a reliable place for refills except a few online (which I haven't ordered from ever.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pibbgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006 11:02:24 AM »

I have a bedazzler!  I usually order refills on ebay, much cheaper than the stores.  I think any brand of rhinestones/studs will work as long as you pay attention to the size you are getting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006 11:58:01 AM »

I have a knock-off called "the Incredible Stud-Setting Machine"--it can set studs/stones in a variety of sizes and I've had no problems getting some suitable refills at the local craft stores. Unfortunately it also SUCKS for setting stones, and every other setting has crooked prongs. Does this happen to other folks with different machines?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
pibbgirl
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006 12:02:10 PM »

my bedazzler has a hard time with the large rhinestones (34 I think?)  it doesn't seem to line up right and all the prongs don't get bent around the stone correctly.  All the other sizes have been fine though.  Maybe my machine is just out of line or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wandalicious
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006 12:17:14 PM »

Yes, I have the Westrim rhinestone setter - only does rhinestones, not studs - and unless you get it lined up just right, the prongs don't wrap around the stone properly. Sometimes I can get into a groove and do 10-15 okay, sometimes every other stone is a bust. Part of it may be the material I am working on, and I am fairly new to all this. The guy who sells me my rhinestones says that these things (Bedazzlers, etc) are really just "toys" meant for light craft use. If you want to produce garments on a fairly regular basis, you need to move up to a larger instrument. He has some on his site if you want to check them out: www.rhinestonegoy.com

I am now thinking of checking out a hot fix setter. That might be easier. There is another whole thread about that if you are interested. I think it's bedazzerl vs. hotfix or something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flybabytina
I'm a long haired, barefoot, crocheting momma

Professional Pumpkin Sculpter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007 07:55:12 AM »

I know this is a pretty old thread, but our local Wal-Mart had GeMagic kits on clearance so guess what my girls got for Easter! We had alot of fun with them, but they don't come with alot of stones/studs. So now I am on a misson to find some "refills" for them. I had found that the GeMagic website has a horrible reputation, so I am not taking my chances with them. GeMagic and Bedazzler look almost identical.... are they really different? Has anybody found refills for them? I had read that Michaels stores might carry studs and such, can anybody confirm that?

Thanks so much!

Tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy store now! - http://flybabytina.etsy.com
Ezri_B
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007 08:02:42 AM »

I found some refills at Michaels but they were on clearance. These were bedazzler ones. I was told they all work. I have seen them online, but I can't remember where. Joanns has had them in their bigger stores. I know my local Hancock Fabrics used to carry them, but then they really cleared out most of their craft stuff besides fabric and quilting stuff.

I don't know if that hleps at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
After Effects:Creating an Explosion Behind Someone
Photoshop - Turning a Photo into a Cartoon P.1
After Effects Tutorial - Making a Space Explosion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...