A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'Knitting Olympics' knitalong  (Read 48678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006 11:41:51 PM »

Erg! I had to change my mind again... the wool I bought is treated, so it won't felt... the ball band in chinese, so I didn't know, anyway, I didn't buy it to felt it originally. So no French Market Bag.

I haven't had any ideas for colours for the Fair Isle, so no fair isle.

So I am going to make this: Bella Paquita

That's it, no more entries for me!

Emms  Cool

I've tried starting Bella Paquita twice, only to find that the boobage allowances don't work with my boobage requirements. Maybe I should bite the bullet and re-graph the bodice, and jump in on this knitalong. Even if I don't, let me know how you come along with it, okay?

You have me worried now! I am a 42" bust... will this work for me? I thought the size would change along with the pattern  Huh or is it made for girls w/o boobs?

Oh god, I feel another pattern change coming on.... Stop me!

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2006 11:51:08 PM »

I'm in, and I know I want to do something with cables.  I need some legwarmers, but I need them to cover my knees, as they need to go above my kneehigh boots for spring skirt wearing days (which can't be that far away!).

I have some gorgeous Debbie bliss Maya handspun in a deep red that I'm saving for this project, but I need a pattern. I've been knitting 2 weeks now, and I want to play with cables.  I had a little go last knight, just playing from my Knitting Bible book (gotta love 'training') and it went fine.

Do I need a pre-established pattrn for this, or am I OK to go along with my own plan, which was basically to figure out the gauge I need, cast on, invent a pattern based around the Hollow Oak Cable[1], do it for a useful length & bind off.

So the skills that I need to learn for this are:
  • Remembering how to cast on
  • Cables
  • Bobbles
  • Pattern drafting
  • Binding off
  • Maybe using DPNs, if I'm brave.  If not I'll do it on straights & seam.  Or borrow some circulars from my mum.

Whaddaya reckon, am I crazy?  Has Team GB got a mad woman in its midst?  Is this enough for the Olympics?

Luckily the weekend of the 20th is my knitting weekend - all weekend knitting with my mum and friend, so I'll have plenty of time.  I think if I have enough time & yarn left I might make some other things, like wristwarmers, maybe a(nother) panta.

[1] On the sleeves of this pullover here - http://slipstitchgallery.blogspirit.com/album/hollow_oak_pullover/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006 11:52:51 PM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006 12:01:37 AM »

I am going to use this yarn for Bella Paquita:

I want to knit it in a cotton/acrylic blend so I wont get overheated while wearing it. I am a very hot (body temp wise) person...  Wink

Emms

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2006 10:03:11 AM »

ooooh-kay! I've never really knit anything before, other than a a learning project that was gonna be a scarf...so anything would be a challenge for me! I'll have to talk to my little sis (who got the knit-a-day- calendar for christmas) and see what i can do!

i wanted that calendar SO bad! but nobody got it for me b/c it was GONE! Sad pout.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
BlondieKate

^^^I wish!!^^^

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006 11:07:45 AM »

ooooh-kay! I've never really knit anything before, other than a a learning project that was gonna be a scarf...so anything would be a challenge for me! I'll have to talk to my little sis (who got the knit-a-day- calendar for christmas) and see what i can do!

i wanted that calendar SO bad! but nobody got it for me b/c it was GONE! Sad pout.
I got it, but eh.  It's mostly got patterns that are available on the internet for free.  There's only a couple so far that I've wanted to hang on to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2006 12:00:10 PM »

You have me worried now! I am a 42" bust... will this work for me? I thought the size would change along with the pattern  Huh or is it made for girls w/o boobs?

Oh god, I feel another pattern change coming on.... Stop me!

Emms

Ummm, the standard for choosing a sweater size is to take your own bust measurement and add 2 inches for a fitted sweater, or 4 inches for a looser one - so you're looking at 44".  Looks like you might have to fiddle with the pattern.  But really, in what universe is XL 42.5"? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
awtrlilee
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006 02:55:51 PM »

ooh, I really, really wanna do this but don't have the yarn and can't find it online-(haven't looked terribly hard, to be honest but,)

I've really been wanting to do the spiderweb capelet in SNBN but pattern calls for Crystal Palace Merino Frappe-and i apologize in advance if this has already been asked on one of the other boards...) anyone know of a good, cheap yarn sub?

i'm excited!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006 03:29:26 PM »

Ummm, the standard for choosing a sweater size is to take your own bust measurement and add 2 inches for a fitted sweater, or 4 inches for a looser one - so you're looking at 44".  Looks like you might have to fiddle with the pattern.  But really, in what universe is XL 42.5"? 

Actually, I emailed Marnie (the pattern creator, and she said because I am making it with 2nd Time Around Cotton yarn- 75% recycled cotton, 25% acrylic, (which stretches out alot) to make it in the L size which has the finished measurements of 39.25" bust!

You learn something new every day  Roll Eyes ... I would have made the XL size!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melanieviney
aka Purple Purl

Too much craft is never enough

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2006 03:30:17 PM »

Jaywalker socks for me.
How many KALs can I knock over with one knit?

1) Knit Olympics
2) Jaywalker Socks KAL
3)Sock a month KAL
4) Sock it to me summer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yup, there's a crafting blog too...http://purplepurls.blogspot.com/
ShannonC
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2006 03:35:27 PM »

I signed up to knit Tubey from Knitty. I've never done a sweater before, or anything even close, so I'm excited. I just ordered the yarn from Knitpicks a few minutes ago Grin I'm so pumped now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Colorful Typography in Photoshop
How to Create Shiny Reflective Text in Photoshop
How to Remove Vocals in Audacity
How to Create Whiter Brighter Teeth In Photoshop
How to Add a Watermark in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...