A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: extra stitches.....?  (Read 452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 16, 2006 08:47:50 PM »

i taught myself how to knit using this website... http://www.theyarnco.com/instruction.php ...and then yesterday i bought knitting needles, and some yarn, and started making myself a scarf...I cast on 35 stitches, give or take a few, i didnt really care how many, as it was just sort of practice. I worked in garter stitch, knitting the whole time...after about 8 rows, I realize, the scarf is getting wider...I count the stitches and count 59. I asked my friend, and she said thats not supposed to happen, and has no idea what I did wrong.
Do anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or is the website wrong? or what?
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not tell me to go to knittinghelp.com i went there, and could not load the videos...any other help is greatly appreciated.....oh, and from the sounds of it Im an english knitter....pretty sure that is...
box of purls
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006 09:00:16 PM »

I think that's something that's fairly common with beginning knitters.  A few things could have happened you may have wrapped the yarn around your needle with out putting it through the stitch or you could have picked up a stitch from a previous row.  It's hard to say without actually seeing the piece of knitting.  I don't know if you have picture capabilities (I don't) but a picture would help.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006 09:04:01 PM »

i do have pic. capabilites...so tomorrow, I will try again, and take pictures along the way....hopefully someone can tell me what im doing wrong...
I finally got the videos on knittinghelp.com to load, and im doing excatly what is in the video for english knitting.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006 10:38:15 PM »

A common problem is making accidental yarn-overs where you wrap the yarn around the needle twice instead of once. This can lead to holes in the piece. Also a common mistake is knitting the first stitch twice. If you look at the first stitch in a row it can look like two loops in certain places. Make sure you are knitting the area of the first stitch that looks like one loop.

When I started I lost and gained stitches seemingly by magic. Now I love knitting because it seems almost impossible to lose stitches now that I know what I am looking for (as opposed to crocheting where I have to hunt for the next loop - in knitting they are all lined up pretty on the needle).
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006 05:58:29 AM »

yeah, I realized that last night...the last stitch in the row was two...or one..depending on how i looked at it...so Im thinking, I did that as two stitches...and thats how I got extra...but I'm not quite sure..my friend is going to show me how to this morning...i hope. Smiley

thanks for your help
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Jean-Pierre Braganza Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
VF COLLECTIONS: Nasir Mazhar Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
VF DESIGNERS: Christopher Bailey for Burberry
Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick Review
Tips For Keeping Your Skin Healthy in The Winter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...