A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: extra stitches.....?  (Read 386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catatonicecstasy
« on: January 16, 2006 08:47:50 PM »

i taught myself how to knit using this website... http://www.theyarnco.com/instruction.php ...and then yesterday i bought knitting needles, and some yarn, and started making myself a scarf...I cast on 35 stitches, give or take a few, i didnt really care how many, as it was just sort of practice. I worked in garter stitch, knitting the whole time...after about 8 rows, I realize, the scarf is getting wider...I count the stitches and count 59. I asked my friend, and she said thats not supposed to happen, and has no idea what I did wrong.
Do anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or is the website wrong? or what?
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not tell me to go to knittinghelp.com i went there, and could not load the videos...any other help is greatly appreciated.....oh, and from the sounds of it Im an english knitter....pretty sure that is...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006 09:00:16 PM »

I think that's something that's fairly common with beginning knitters.  A few things could have happened you may have wrapped the yarn around your needle with out putting it through the stitch or you could have picked up a stitch from a previous row.  It's hard to say without actually seeing the piece of knitting.  I don't know if you have picture capabilities (I don't) but a picture would help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catatonicecstasy
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006 09:04:01 PM »

i do have pic. capabilites...so tomorrow, I will try again, and take pictures along the way....hopefully someone can tell me what im doing wrong...
I finally got the videos on knittinghelp.com to load, and im doing excatly what is in the video for english knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyRat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006 10:38:15 PM »

A common problem is making accidental yarn-overs where you wrap the yarn around the needle twice instead of once. This can lead to holes in the piece. Also a common mistake is knitting the first stitch twice. If you look at the first stitch in a row it can look like two loops in certain places. Make sure you are knitting the area of the first stitch that looks like one loop.

When I started I lost and gained stitches seemingly by magic. Now I love knitting because it seems almost impossible to lose stitches now that I know what I am looking for (as opposed to crocheting where I have to hunt for the next loop - in knitting they are all lined up pretty on the needle).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catatonicecstasy
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006 05:58:29 AM »

yeah, I realized that last night...the last stitch in the row was two...or one..depending on how i looked at it...so Im thinking, I did that as two stitches...and thats how I got extra...but I'm not quite sure..my friend is going to show me how to this morning...i hope. Smiley

thanks for your help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Transformers: Dark of The Moon Premiere Hits Times Square
Jamie Foxx on Horrible Bosses
Jennifer Aniston on Horrible Bosses
Charlie Day on Horrible Bosses
Behind The Scenes of Transformers: Dark of The Moon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...