A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Knitting Olympics  (Read 6014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006 08:51:41 AM »

okay, i'm going in for this one...with my blue sky alpaca's sport weight that i bought for picovoli some months ago...should be a challenge as it's taken me at least 2 months just to get the swatch done! (i hate swatching in the round, hate hate hate it! but it's my first sweater, so i'm swatching like a good girl...damnit! ;])

just need to officially sign up...i wonder if this should be a knitalong...ETA oh whoops! indeed it is! =]
a*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006 08:54:42 AM by m*babylon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
uglythreads

ugly threads make pretty things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006 07:15:00 AM »

I plan to do the olympics too! My challenge is to make a pair of socks....but here's the trick...i'm knitting both socks at the same time! Not just at the same time, I'm knitting them on the same set of dpns, one inside the other! Because, I don't know, I want to see if I can. I heard about this technique somewhere...i forget where. Maybe even from the Yarn Harlot's blog herself.

Anyway, I have been reading just how many people are signed up, and I decided that maybe I will not sign up officially, but just hang out in the knitalong with craftsters. We'll see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote Captain Badass: "I am setting your heart on fire, so when you leave me I will burn on in your soul."
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006 07:54:02 AM »

I'm in!

Not only am I in, but I'm also issuing the same challenge to the members of my website (though I'll making it a crafting olympics, rather than a knitting olympics there since people do all sorts of different things)

Now ... the 2 projects I've been eyeing.. clapotis.. and orangina (sp?) Clapotis - the sheer size of it overwhelms me since I want to make it in a big wrap. It will definately be a challenge to finish that in just 16 days. But, I am up for the challenge.  Orangina - I was planning on making a little closer to the summer - since I'm losing weight, and I want to make it at a smaller size if I can.

How long has it taken people to make clapotis? Is this realistic? I'm thinking possibly noro silk garden (i should have earned enough from babysitting to splurge in it by then!) OR.. Shaeffer's Anne.. a really pretty hand painted sock yarn - in which case I'll do it on about a size 8 needle and get a really loose drapey piece.

And.. I'll use this as an excuse to get myself a blog too!

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006 12:38:35 PM »

Anyway, I have been reading just how many people are signed up, and I decided that maybe I will not sign up officially, but just hang out in the knitalong with craftsters. We'll see.

that's what i'm planning on doing. less work for stephanie!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
uglythreads

ugly threads make pretty things.

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2006 09:42:20 AM »

Actually, I lied. I did sign up. I wanted the button.

Poor Stephanie, putting all those names in should be her olympic accomplishment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote Captain Badass: "I am setting your heart on fire, so when you leave me I will burn on in your soul."
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2006 09:04:58 PM »

I'm sooo excited. My yarn for clapotis has been ordered!  I'm getting impatient waiting for the 10th.. I want to start already!

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2006 10:41:23 AM »

I sent an email last week and haven't heard anything back, so I'm trying desparately to be patient and crossing my fingers I'll have my cool button sometime before the event actually starts.  Poor Stephanie.

The project I picked is to design and knit a bolero jacket for my grandma.  This'll be my second adult-sized garment, the first of which was also self-designed.  And also very simlar to what this one will be, only I'm using a yarn I've never used before, so I have no idea what I'll have to do with gauge.  But I'm not even swatching until the 10th, and I've told myself I'm not allowed to think about any things I want to do differently this time around with this basic design.  Hah.  That doesn't work.  But I chide myself every time I do it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2006 05:12:29 PM »

Yay I got my yarn today! I am going to do a gauge swatch and resist knitting until Feb 10th... oh the torture!  Cheesy

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2006 05:15:55 PM »

I joined yesterday. I'm planning on knitting a mosaic-ed up bag. The challenge: I've never done either. I've been swatching a little and trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get this mosaic thing to work with the chart I've made. I need to decide on my materials, too.

I love a good challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
box of purls
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2006 07:34:29 PM »

I started swatching last Saturday and I think I have it about right.  I may have to use larger needles or adjust the pattern.  I haven't decided which yet.  I'm scared to change the stitches on a sweater pattern especially since it's my first sweater but I want it to look good....well good considering it's going to be my first sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Focal Length?
Understanding a Cameras Sensor Size
Shoot Better Video with Your Smartphone
Light Painting with Robot Vacuum Cleaners
Exporting Images for Time Lapse Video
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...