A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beaded coffee sleeve/cozy with pattern  (Read 2327 times)
Tags for this thread: coffee_cozy , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lucylost
« on: January 16, 2006 07:57:19 PM »

A couple of years ago, I added a pattern for a beaded coffee sleeve to my blog. I was originally inspired by the Java a Go Go (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/java.htm) pattern at Magknits. But I wanted to make my own that was beaded and done in heavier yarn. So.... here is my own coffee cozy pattern. Please note that I am a fairly lackadaisacal knitter, so I tend to do things "'til it looks long enough" or "near the middle", etc. If you want to be more precise, feel free to do the counting to 
place the beads, etc.

Here is the cozy in use. The color is very off, it's actually much darker:

Here is the cozy lying flat. This is closer to the actual color:

Photos are here if the above does not work: http://knittingmonkey.blogspot.com/

Here is the pattern:

SUPPLIES

(MC) 1 ball (or less) worsted weight yarn - I used Lion Brand Woolease in purple 147
(CC) small amount novelty yarn - I used Patons Cha Cha in Jazz 02006
set of 5 double pointed needles - I used approximately a size 7, but size is not important
1 crochet hook approximately the same diameter as the knitting needle s- I used F
28 small beads in colors to coordinate with yarn - smaller than pony beads, larger than seed beads
small amount of contrasting color worsted weight - I used Lion Brand Woolease in Forest Green
small amount of sewing thread or size 10 crochet thread
1 sample disposable coffee cup - I used a 16 oz. styrofoam cup from my local coffee place

PREPARATION

You will begin by stringing the beads onto the main color. I experimented with several methods of this, but ended up using size 10 crochet thread to help get the beads onto the yarn. You tie the crochet thread to the MC about 4 inches from the end with a simple knot. Leave tails. Thread the beads onto the crochet thread and then over the simple knot and onto the thread. It is frustrating and takes awhile. Thread all the beads in random order.

DIRECTIONS

In the supplies list I indicated that the size of the needles is not important. This is true because you will be crocheting a starting edge to match the cup itself so you won't have to guess how much to cast on. As long as your hook matches your needles, you should be fine.

With your waste yarn, crochet a chain until it is long enough to go around the width of the coffee cup 1 inch from the base. Make sure it is slightly stretched. For me this was 35 stitches.

Pick up the stitches evenly onto your knitting needles with your main color. I had a set of five needles, so for me this was 9, 9, 9, and 8. If you have fewer needles, the increases described below will not be as easy to follow. When picking up stitches from a crochet chain, insert the needle into the bump on the back side of each stitch.

Knit two rounds evenly.

Round 1: Knit a bead into the center of the first needle, immediately followed by an increase. I did this through what I believe is called a "Make 1", where I knit a stitch with a bead through the front loop, and then also knitted through the back loop of the same stitch. You can use any method you like for increasing. I liked having the increases next to the beads, because it made it easier to keep track of the increases, but you can also separate them.

Knit plain on needle two without increasing.

On needle three, repeat the sequence for needle one

Knit plain on needle four.

Round 2: Knit plain on needle one.

Knit a bead into the center of needle two, immediately followed by an increase.

Knit plain on needle three.

On needle four, repeat the sequence for needle two.

Round 3 and 4: Knit plain

Round 5: Knit a bead into the right half of needle one, immediately followed by an increase. Placement is not important - put the bead where you think it looks good. The overall effect will be random anyway.

Knit plain on needle two.

On needle three, repeat the sequence for needle one.

Round 6: Knit plain on needle one.

Knit a bead into the right half of needle two, immediately followed by an increase.

Round 7 and 8: Knit plain

Round 9: Knit a bead into the left hand side of needle one, immediately followed by an increase. Again, placement is not important.

Knit plain on needle two.

On needle three, repeat the sequence for needle one.

Round 10: Knit plain on needle one.

Knit a bead into the left hand side of needle two, immediately followed by an increase. Placement is not important.

Repeat from * until piece is approximately one inch less than the desired length. Try it on the coffee cup as you go to make sure it fits right. You can end at any round you like.

When you are finished with the beaded section, you will need to get your novelty yarn. If it is thin novelty yarn knit it held together with the main color. If it is thick novelty yarn or worsted weight, cut the main color as you won't be using it again.

Knit one round evenly with the novelty yarn.
Purl the next round.
Bind off the next round loosely.

Flip the piece over.

Snip the crochet cast on and begin to unravel it, picking up the exposed stitches with your needles as you go. Distribute the stitches across the needles evenly (same as for round 1).

With your novelty yarn, knit one round.
Bind off.

Weave in all ends.

Go get a fresh cup of coffee and admire your handiwork. Smiley

*** Edited to try to fix the photos. Hope this works!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006 08:24:44 AM by lucylost » THIS ROCKS   Logged

----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK----

KCR++ Exp+ SPM- Bam++ Pl+ Addi+ Syn(-) Nov-- Cot+ Wool+ Lux? Hemp?>+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin-- Ent FI-@ Lace+ Tex++ Flat-- Circ+++ !DPN ML+++ !Swatch KIP++ Blog EZ+ FO- WIP+ GaugeF GaugeS+ GaugeDK+ GaugeW+ GaugeB- AltCr AltX

----END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK----
buzybeebee24
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 04:52:09 AM »

That sounds like it would be great but I can't see the picture.... Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucylost
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006 08:25:36 AM »

Thanks buzybeebee, the photos should be fixed now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KCR++ Exp+ SPM- Bam++ Pl+ Addi+ Syn(-) Nov-- Cot+ Wool+ Lux? Hemp?>+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin-- Ent FI-@ Lace+ Tex++ Flat-- Circ+++ !DPN ML+++ !Swatch KIP++ Blog EZ+ FO- WIP+ GaugeF GaugeS+ GaugeDK+ GaugeW+ GaugeB- AltCr AltX

Sugar Magnolia
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006 12:02:17 PM »

I think I need one of these...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006 12:10:01 PM »

very snazzy! well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
frogsrock
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006 01:43:52 PM »

nice!
but is wool the best option? if your a slob like me chances are its gonna get spilled on...a lot.... i wouldnt want to worry about it felting in the wash

if i decide to make one i think i'll use cotton, anyone see a downfall to it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucylost
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006 06:05:31 PM »

Thanks for the comments! This is my first posted project and its awesome to get some feed back. Thanks  Smiley

Cotton should be fine. I agree - washable is the best bet. I actually used woolease, which is a washable mostly acrylic yarn with something like 20% wool. It's just what I had on hand. I think the cotton would look good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Removing Turkey from an Oil Free Fryer
Preparing a Turkey for Deep Frying
How to Carve a Turkey
Preparing to Deep Fry a Turkey in Oil
How to Stuff, Prepare, and Cook a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...