A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: some questions...  (Read 1523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

love_me

it's better to be looked over than overlooked

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2006 07:51:01 PM »

there have been a few topics that i have been following recently and one of the just got locked. i believe it was because of non-topic related discussion. which was caused by certain posts being deleted. this topic was based on a rather political craft that cause some interesting debate. in my own opinion, i thought it was related to the craft, since it was what sparked all the conversation in the first place. now i am not trying to say anything bad about the mods who oversee boards at all, in fact i appreciate all that you do. but in this particular situation, they said posts were deleted because they were ones asking why posts were deleted, and taking up space that wasn't related to the main topic. well, it seems to me that after this was posted 2 or 3 times, they were taking up as much off-topic space as the others. so i just wondered, when a post is deleted, could the poster be like pm'd as to why their post was deleted? this way it saves topic space on all the posts asking why things were deleted and the posts explaining why things were deleted. seeing as i'm not a moderator, i don't know if this is possible or not, but it seems like it would work in my head. that way (hopefully) topics creating good discussion can stay on topic and not get locked. once again, this wasn't meant to say that anyone had bad judgement as to what was posted or if it should be deleted or not, i just thought this might save room and allow for discussion sparked from crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if wishes were horses, i'd own a ranch
if wishes were carbon monoxide gas, i'd be dead
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006 07:55:48 PM »

We do try and pm a member some times to let them know what a post was deleted. Most of the time, it is because a topic is not crafty. If you post something about drugs, or hitler, and we find it unacceptable according to craftster's rules, we are going to remove it. When people sign up, they are encouraged to read the terms & conditions, so they should already know that off-topic conversation is not allowed on craftster.org.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006 07:59:38 PM »

often when quite a few posts in a topic are deleted at once, a comment is made by the mod saying why the posts were deleted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006 08:30:03 AM »

i realize that the posts in the topic did go off topic, considering the topic was posted in the journals and bookmaking-reconstructed-completed projects forum, but my question was why was this topic not moved, or locked, in the first place, instead of just deleting posts here and there? as a lotta crafters on here seem interested in it, could it be unlocked and moved to the more art less craft, general discussion?
xox, you generus moderators, you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006 09:48:16 AM »

Threads, whether they be posted in a craft category, or a more art less craft board, still need to stay on the topic that was intended for all of Craftster, the crafts themselves.  If a thread that was originally posted to share a creation (be it art, craft, etc.) turns into a debate regarding politics, sex, drugs, rock & roll, etc. (ha!), either way...it has moved from the intentions of Craftster.  We have, and always will, take actions to prevent or stop drama and arguments on the boards.

Although chatting is fine within threads, if a thread turns into an all around debate regarding the intent of the crafter, etc., is has still gone way off topic.

Threads do get locked and threads do get "pruned" back to the original craft discussion...  We try not to just outright lock threads, but if they have been locked, pruned & reopened, and discussions repeatedly cannot remain on topic, it's just something that we have to do.  The craft is still displayed for all to see, and the original poster is still available if anyone would like to PM him/her regarding their craft.  It's a compromise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006 09:53:31 AM »

Regarding letting people know about deleted posts... if I delete a post, I try to PM the poster & let them know why.  If I edit a post, I try to insert a note at the bottom of their edited posted and/or PM them to explain why.

I have noticed that if I delete someones post & PM that person (the only personally feel obligated to PM, as it was their post), that a handful of other members post on the thread, asking why.  Which is why sometimes you will see us post on the thread to let the whole group know why.  At that point...if anyone has further questions, they can just PM the mod.

It seems recently, that more often than not, even if we ask that members PM us directly, they will continue to ask questions regarding our actions, on the thread...rather than PMing us.  Which just takes the thread back to it's cluttered state  Cheesy

I realize you guys are referring to a particular thread, but I am just speaking in general for all of the boards of Craftster Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wheelchair Etiquette: What You Need to Know
Living with Severe Psoriasis
What Actually Causes Cellulite?
An Easy Exercise That Can Help Remove Cellulite
Treatment Options for Lupus
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...