A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geagua County Humane Society Fundraiser  (Read 4739 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

f1focus
« on: January 16, 2006 06:37:04 PM »

ARTISTS NEEDED FOR EMPTY BOWLS FUNDRAISER

We at the Geauga Humane Society, a non-profit, unlimited stay animal shelter and humane education organization, are having our 4th annual Empty Bowls fundraiser on March 18 of this year. This is a highly successful fundraiser for us (last year alone we raised $38,000), due to people who believe in and support the humane treatment of animals. Support can be in the form of attending our events or donating goods or services to enable us to put the event together.

Here's where you can help...
The premise of this event is this: for a $50 admission fee, our guests are offered a meal of yummy soups and chili donated by area restaurants, along with breads and desserts. With their admission, our guests are able to choose from over 400 handcrafted ceramic bowls donated by area potters, students, etc. Although we don't actually serve their soup in the bowls, they must be food safe to use as they wish when they take them home. It is a great way of thanking them for their contribution, and the guests literally line up an hour before opening that evening in order to be one of the first to pick from the wonderful display of bowls! The rest of the event features music, a silent auction of art in any media and a live auction of hand-painted bowls from celebrities (sports, music, movies, etc.) who have agreed to participate as well. If you would like to help us out by donating either ceramic bowls or a piece of art in another medium for the art auction, please contact me. We would like to have all donations by March 1st unless you have a prior arrangement with me. We need to know what we have to work with well in advance of the March 18th event.
Please contact: Barb Corkran @ gonetothedogs_99@yahoo.com

Thank you!

I got this from my friend Gina. I think if anyone wants to...we could get together at some paint your own pottery place and make bowls to donate.  Anyone interested?  I am going to contact Barb and see what she needs. 

If anyone would like to donate art for the auction, I am sure they would appreciate it.

Ruth

THIS ROCKS   Logged

a blog about nothing---www.retrogrademotion.com
a shop with things!!!!---retrogrademotion.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 07:22:05 AM »

more on the fundraiser.   anyone want to do this with me???

Thank you so much for your reponse! I am so glad that
we are getting a lot of response from the e-mail that
I sent out. The Geauga Humane Society has been a part
of my life for over 10 years when I walked dogs for
them at their old facility, and they have come a long
way and are doing such wonderful things, including
education, to end the plight of homeless animals.

You can either go to a paint your own pottery place or
you can throw your own pottery if that's what you do.
We just need to make sure that the glazes are
food-safe. Some of the bowls people  will use for
serving, etc., and some may be used as an animal's
bowl. Use your own creativity... we love to see what
wonderful ways people decorate their bowls! They can
be animal-themed or decorative, whatever you see when
you contemplate your bowl. Have fun with it... our
attendees just love searching out their favorite to
take home with them.

We should have the bowls to us by March 1st. If you
have an idea of how many might be coming in I would
appreciate knowing that beforehand as well. You can
give me a call @(440) 473-6113 when they are ready and
I will arrange a pick-up with you.

I am looking forward to having your group as a part of
this event. If you have any more questions, please
don't hesitate to e-mail or call me.

Thank you!

Barb Corkran, Committee for Empty Bowls 2006
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006 01:15:44 PM »

OH! That sounds like such fun! I've never painted a bowl before, but I might like to...I honestly didn't know there were paint your own pottery places around here. I guess when I think about it, it makes sense, but I just have never thought about it. hmmm...shut up Amanda, you sound stupid. Okay, I'm done. What I meant to say was, sure...I'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006 01:35:06 PM »

there is one in Cleveland Hts...studio you.  There are 3 that I can think of on the westside.  Artist for a Day in N.olmsted, Just Clayin Around in Westlake and Studio Aria (Huh?not sure on the name) in Rocky River.

I've never done it before either.  But I thought it would be fun.

A bunch of my friends are going to do it.  I am thinking some Saturday afternoon.  I am not sure about whether it will be this saturday or next.   

I will keep you posted. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006 01:36:27 PM »

Please do! I think it would be fun...not to mention being for a good cause!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
craft_t_chic
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006 04:13:48 PM »

I mentioned this to my boy yesterday and he is totally up for painting a bowl too! He's all excited and planning what to put on it and everything! So yeah, definitely count both of us in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 07:59:15 PM »

I am thinking probably a Fri evening or Saturday late afternoon at Just Claying Around in Westlake.  They are open to 10PM on both those nights. 

next Friday?  Are you free?   I am going to email my friends that want to do it tomorrow. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006 11:17:29 PM »

I have to work next Friday. Tongue I may be able to rearrange my schedule a bit, but I don't know. I am off that Satuday for sure though, and I know I have nothing going on as of yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006 07:48:28 AM »

This is what I just sent to my friends..
So I am proposing either Friday Jan 27 evening or Saturday Jan 28 afternoon.  We can do dinner after on Saturday or go out after on Friday or whatever.  So if you are interested...let me know which date you like better if you have a preference.  Majority will rule on this.  Or if I have an even split...hell I'll do both. 

Feel free to forward and bring friends!  OOOOH the venue will be Just Clayin Around in Westlake.  They are open to 10 at night.  If I have enough people I can get an group party rate.  www.justclayingaround.com

-----------
I marked you as preferring Sat.  Btw...what's your first name?  I am Ruth. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006 02:13:00 PM »

I'm Amanda. Nice to "meet" you! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006 05:32:09 PM »

Great.  Nice to meet you.  I had you on my list as craftychic and i figured someone would ask me who you were and I didnt' want to say I have no idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006 06:14:28 PM »

I understand.  Grin The boy asked who was organizing this whole painting bowls thing and I'm like, "uh...f1focus? I don't KNOW her, but I know her! HONEST!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006 05:27:46 PM »

Most people could only do Friday night so we are meeting at 6-6:30 at Just Clayin' Around in Westlake.   Hope you can make it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006 08:47:11 PM »

Grrr! The boy and I both work so we won't be able to make it....but we still want to make bowls so maybe we'll do that on our own and then I'll just contact you to see what to do wit them...maybe I could even just give them to you at the meet-up in Feb?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006 09:38:15 AM »

That would be fine if you give them to me on the 11th.  I am to contact the person in charge by the end of the month to arrange delivery of the bowls.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006 12:52:27 PM »

Cool...that works out then!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
f1focus
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006 11:18:10 AM »

It was so fun!  Sorry you had to miss.  But I will go paint pottery anytime.  That was just WAY TOO MUCH fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006 06:20:51 PM »

YAY! I'm glad y'all had fun! I can't wait to do mine...the boy and I decided to wait until after payday to do it...early enough that I can still give them to you at the get together, though. I can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.crafttchic.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Sunny Schwartz
Meet Author Helene Cooper
Meet Author Noah Charney
Meet Author Susan Patron
Tough Customer Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...