A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old slippers, new slippers...  (Read 1611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2006 06:10:20 PM »

So, I went to Korea in 2001, and because I was staying in someone's house, I needed some house slippers, which were kindly provided for me. They were OK for the 2 weeks that I was there, but when I took them back home with me, I realised "Damn, these are really uncomfortable!" They hade this sort of woven straw/hessian stuff on the inner sole (where your foot goes), were lined with thin foam (eew...), and had a sort of Burberry check pattern on the outside. I don't have before pics, but believe me, they were horrendous.

So anyway, they sat in my closet for a couple of years, just being gross. Then in July of last year, I went to Hong Kong, and on the markets (mmm...markets *drool*), they had these really cute Jack Skellington slippers. I didn't buy any at the time because I didn't know I wanted any. Then, a little while after I got back, I started thinking "Maybe I should have bought some of those after all..." Of course, I can't just nip over to HK to buy slippers, and I couldn't be arsed to find them on the internet.

But then I remembered my ugly old slippers, and an idea was born...An idea which led to...
My very own Jack Skellington slippers!

They're made of this soft fleecy stuff, and the little Jack faces are made of felt. But they're attached with safety pins, so, if ever I need to wash the slippers, I can just whip the faces off and throw the slippers in the wash, without fear of felt shrinkage.  Wink

They're so cosy and snuggly, and I love them.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010 11:51:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006 06:18:46 PM »

those are so cute! Instead of safety pins, why no sew some velcro on the slippers themselves? That way the felt will stick to the slippers and you can add different felt decorations whenever you want (although you can do that now too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006 06:36:10 PM »

That's a good idea, actually - the pins aren't that secure, and the faces tend to slide around a bit.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
ArtistGirl28
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006 10:25:11 PM »

So kickass! Jack is awesome, and so are your slippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006 07:48:40 AM »

This was a wonderful idea and i'm terribly jealous that you are capable of doing this (as I would screw it up royally I'm sure).
I love your slippers! are they more comfortable now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Lostlipgloss
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006 05:48:31 PM »

Cry
/emo
So jealous.
Those are INCREDIBLY awesome. Goooood jobbbbbb
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pwntbygirl.
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006 10:19:01 PM »

This was a wonderful idea and i'm terribly jealous that you are capable of doing this (as I would screw it up royally I'm sure).
I love your slippers! are they more comfortable now?

They're much, much more comfortable now, thanks to the addition of some cotton batting (you know, that quilting stuff) between the sole and the covering fabric (and again in the top layers). Actually, the sole is the only part of the original slippers that's left.  Undecided

But hey, no pain, no gain. That's what I kept telling myself every time the upholstery needle hit my finger...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial - Remove Color
Photoshop Tools and Menus Tutorial
Free Backgrounds and Royalty Free Images
How to Use Clip Notes in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Move Mountains with Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...