A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pasties (How To) for all you aspiring burlesque queens  (Read 44172 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrloutloud
Beauty is in the Eye of the Storm

knitting.is.sexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006 10:30:13 AM »

It wouldn't be that hard to make heart shaped ones-- in theory you'd make a heart with a square bottom and then cut the wedge in where the square bottom is so that when overlapped, it would create a point for the bottom on the heart and a point to put your nipple under.  Does that make sense?

When laying on the sequins, I would start in a circle and then start following the heart shape....although the end bits would likely have to be done with separate strands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss brianne

I'm addicted to Craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006 10:31:37 AM »

so exciting. heart shaped ones here I come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soteralu
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006 10:58:02 AM »

I think tassels would require spirit gum...which I'm not really sure how to get off...
[/quote]

Spirit gum comes off with eye makeup remover or baby oil.  Rub it in, let it sit - and BE PATIENT - peel off, cleanse well.

I'm not sure what that would do to the pasties, tho - it might render them unwearable a second time.  Hmmm.  Vinyl lined?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrloutloud

knitting.is.sexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006 11:01:35 AM »

I'm not sure what that would do to the pasties, tho - it might render them unwearable a second time.  Hmmm.  Vinyl lined?

I don't think it would harm the pasties-- felt is thick and hearty.  You also don't need that much-- just a ring around the outside (the glory of vintage pasties-done-right is that there's no need for adhesive on your actual nipple).  It would likely leave the pasties on the tacky side--so they may need special storage considerations. 

Geh, the last time I used spirit gum is was for elf-ear-tips for a play and my ears were sticky for days afterward.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kylieraenbow
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006 11:05:21 AM »

hehehe i love these.
they make spirit gum remover and it's actually pretty cheap and it goes a long way. i reccomend buying it before trying spirit gum out. i had to wear a beard for a show and we ran out of remover. it was not fun. most people broke out in a rash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zoom in on my empty wallet.
tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006 12:12:41 PM »

Grin  These are great - nice straightforward instructions, too.  I made some pasties for a friend's costume this past year but we were seriously stuck, stores were closed, etc, so we made them out of what was around and then stuck them on her with little square of two-sided sticky tape *laughing*.  Ridiculous.  Anyhow - another embellishment suggestion (that doesn't add a lot of weight of course) is feathers...you can put a circle of them around like spokes of a wheel and then do your sequin business over top.  We used nice floofy downy feathers and they looked great.  Yay for boobies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.TheHaps.etsy.com')
grrloutloud

knitting.is.sexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006 12:17:58 PM »

We used nice floofy downy feathers and they looked great.

I'd thought momentarily of feathers-- but from the practical (I know, what?) side of actually wearing them on stage, it's hard to get something that weird under your costume...and I'd be afraid that they'd get crushed.  That was one of the reasons that I shied away from tassels as well, but tassels spring back a little better than feathers do.  I also just found a vintage corset with pointy-ish cups that I could definitely fit tassels into without them showing through.  So v2.0 will def. have tassels...but feathers may not make it on stage with me. 

I'd love to see pics of the ones you made for your friend, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006 02:16:18 PM »

*laughing*...i like your avatar, fruithead.    Well...there are loads of burlesque dancers around, for starters.  And there's all the situations you'd wear any kind of lingerie or whatever - sexy parties, or at home for your lovey. 

I saw a documentary on HBO called Pretty Things that was about burlesque dancers.  They said that to get the tassels to swing, you attach fishing swivels to the pasties, and then attach the tassels to those.  Then they spin freely.

There's a bit of a technique to it, too, i think.  If you have kind of littlish boobies you can put your arms up in the air and bounce really quick and they spin around in perfect circles.  That can also be classified in the "tidbits of information I pick up" and grin about category.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.TheHaps.etsy.com')
fruithead
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006 02:19:01 PM »

*blushes for sounding like such a prude*

thanks grrloutloud and tiph. how interesting. i would never have the guts (nor will i ever have the boobs) to do such a thing! bravo to you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
InkNvDubs
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006 02:55:19 PM »

I found these pics on miss exotic world (yahoo group) that someone posted and I thought I would pass it along - hope that's ok

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/still_death2000/Scarabs.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/still_death2000/Flames.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/still_death2000/Anchors.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Mae West
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holly Goddard Jones Discusses Her Novel The Next Time You See Me
How to Write a Novel
How to Become a Freelance Writer
How to Write an Autobiography
How to Avoid Run-on Sentences
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...