A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swim team tutus  (Read 482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsa
Chelsa

Fashion Design

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2006 07:08:38 AM »

The girls swim team always dresses up as something for the guys HHC (Hoosier Hills Conference) and Sectional meet. The guys actually came to ours this year so we have to think of something really great (They wore their speedos and suspenders). The girls decided to make tutu's and volunteered me with their help so I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to make them, other than just a lot of skirts layered on top of each other. Is there an easy way to get them to stay up like this one:

I was thinking it may work to just gather it a lot so it stays up, but I don't sew very often so I don't know.

This is what my second option would be If the first idea doesn't go over very well. I thought this was a great pic to describe it, only it's the girls team:

(What a coincidence, this is another random picture I found on the internet haha, our guys will have to borrow our new tutus sometime lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why are you trying to fit in,
When you're born to stand out!
TiffanyR
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006 09:21:26 AM »

He hee!  Funny pics.

The best way to make them stand out the most is 1) Use netting, not tulle.  Tulle is softer and has smaller holes, whereas netting is much stiffer and has larger holes.  Many people confuse the two.  and 2) Use lots of it!  The more layers you use, the more it will "fluff" and stand out stronger.

My recommendation is to cut the netting into strips as wide as you want the tutu tu be long.  Make your strips much much longer than the approximate hip measurement, sewing pieces together if necessary to get a long enough strip.  (Most of the netting in stores is 72" wide... I'd use at least two 72" strips for each layer.)  Sew each long strip into a cylinder.  If you want sequins or embellishments around the edges like in the first photo, now is the time to add it.  Stack up as many cylinders of netting as you want (five? eight? more?), then baste around the top edge of the multi-layered cylinder to even up all the edges.  You could use something like a large double-fold bias tape or wide satin ribbon to make a waistband casing around the top edge, then run a strong elastic through your waistband casing.

Hope this helps!  And be sure to post some pictures afterward, I'm sure we'd all love to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Product Review: Japonesque Primer Vs. Elf Primer
How to Control Oily Skin
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks
Model Beauty Secrets
LA Girl Brand Concealer Product Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...