A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tape bead curtain thing...  (Read 755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: January 15, 2006 05:07:13 AM »

Okay, so I've always wanted a bead curtain, and the other day I was playing around with some cellotape (is that how you spell it? You know, a couple of cm wide, clear, you used it for wrapping up gifts, sticking sheets into excercise books etc) Anyway, I found that if you stick two strips sticky side together, you get tthis sort of long clear film thing.

Here's my idea.

I get loads of tape, somer really skinny ribbon - like this thin: [   ], sequins, and other small flat decorations (not edible!). Then I cut a long strip of tape (sticky side up!), but the ribbon in the centre, put some sequins along it, then stick on ther strip of tape on top so it's enclosed ... I hope you understand.

If I made a load of these I could hang tham of a length of bamboo and have a curatin!

I want your suggestions on maybe having weight at the bottom of the tape so it isn't too floaty

Do you think it would go static and stick to you when you walk by???

Any other comments?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged

zengarden
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006 07:45:12 AM »

It sounds like a neat idea! I'm thinking the tape would eventually wear off if it's scotch tape. If it was double sided sticky tape cut the width of the ribbon, it may stick together longer Huh I'm starting a beaded curtain out of those paper beads that I've seen craftsters make on here. For weight, you could use heavy beads on the bottom, peach pits (dried out & then drill a hole), fishing weights that you would normally use when fishing to keep the line in the water. Depending on what color your ribbons are, maybe even fishing bobbers would work too. Hope this helps give you some ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor shall be lifted-nevermore~Edgar Allen Poe
thing2
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006 07:50:18 AM »

That's a cool idea, but as I imagine it, it seems a little chunky to me.  We're talking about that clear packing tape?  Somehow just...not that fun to walk through.  I do think it would work, though, as long as you're careful to smooth the tape really carefully.  Packing tape is great, really useful.

I _really_ like the ribbon idea though, and think you should definitely make your "beaded curtain" out of ribbons with some kind of weight at the  bottom (buttons?).  That wouldbe gorgeous. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006 10:24:07 AM »

Thanks for the comments  Smiley

This is what I mean by sellotape (that's how you spell it!)

http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/85/57/02_10.JPG
sorry the address is really long .. I can't post pictures!

Heavey beads might look cool, and I'm really leaning towards the ideas of riboon and buttons... sounds really cute!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006 10:28:44 AM by solid_silver_cloud » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geobabe

I'm moving to Africa

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006 10:35:33 PM »

Cool idea!  Maybe you could make a small one for a window curtain or wall tapestry, that would give you a chance to practice your technique and experiement with the weight issue.  Post pictures, I'd love to see how it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006 08:38:50 AM »

The idea of putting something up in a window sound great ... better get started!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConnieMarie
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006 07:58:36 PM »

I think the ribbons with buttons, beads etc is a great idea, the tape though, tends to yellow and harden with age, also if you don't get the edges exactly together, it will tend to stick to you as you walk through.  In a window the tape would fail even faster from the sunlight.
Personally I think I'd sew the buttons on the ribbon or use some of those plastic speedy button repair kits, they are fast! little plastic things that you just snap through, they have them at most sewing shops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissyMafia
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006 09:23:44 AM »

that stuff gets sooooo staticy. i wonder if you can use a static spray [like for laundry] on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview With Robin Ince at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Armitage at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Day at Laugharne Festival 2012
Blair Underwood on South by Southeast
Photoshoot for South by Southeast Book Cover with Blair Underwood
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...