A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hobomitts - now with pattern!  (Read 21204 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

umbrellamaker
stopping the rain for 25 years

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2006 08:01:22 PM »

One part hobo, one part mitten, all parts awesome. Single crochet with bulky Brown Sheep yarn, no pattern.

A friend suckered me into making her a pair, so as I work on them I tried to write the pattern. I've never written or even used a pattern before, I don't know abbreviations, and I haven't tested it. Use at your own risk! (and then let me know how it turned out Smiley )

2 skeins Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride "Bulky", Approx. 25 yards of trim color. Size 'J' hook. I didn't do a guage swatch...sorry.

You turn after every row and chain one.

Cuff
Row 1: Chain 26, join
Row 2: sc one row
Rows 3-10: (sc in front of stitch, sc in back of stitch), repeat (around row 4 would be a good time to make sure this fits correctly)
Row 11: (12sc, add a stitch) repeat
Row 12: (13sc, add a stitch) repeat
Rows 13-15: add a stitch, 29sc
Rows 16-18: sc

Thumb
Row 19: This row is difficult to explain. You are dividing the top of the mitt into two circles, one for the thumb, one for the rest of the fingers. 5sc, then sc the two sides together 6 stitches from the end. 6sc inorder to finish the first row of the thumb. There should be 12 stitches total for the thumb's circumference.
Row 20-28: 12sc on the thumb
Row 29: (sc tog) 6 times
There will still be a small opening at the tip of the thumb. Leave a long tail when you cut your yarn and use the tail to sew it together.

Fingers
Rows 19-25: sc
Row 26: (sc, increase) repeat *note, depending upon the width of your fingers, you may want to increase twice for every single crochet or vice versa. You are doing this so the fabric can be comfortably stitched together between your fingers.

Mitt
Row 1: chain 4, join
Row 2: 10sc in the loop
Rows 3-5: (increase, sc)    - I can't remember if I did this for 2 or three rows....sorry.
Row 6: (increase, 2 sc)
Rows 7-24: sc
If you have shorter fingers, stop a row or two sooner.

Finishing
With you accent color, sc around the bottom of the mitt (leave a long tail), cuff, and at the top of the fingers. Put on the glove and mark where you can comfortably pull the fabric between your fingers and stitch the sides together using your accent yarn (when I made the pink ones shown here, I sc around each individual finger, joining the sides together like I did the thumb. I realize now that that was dumb). Weave in your ends, except for on the mitt. Use the tail to whip stitch the mitt across the back of the hand, then weave in the ends.

Repeat for other mitten.

There they are. I don't know if you will actually get a mitten if you follow them, but I tried. Best of luck! I'm very open to feedback, unless your feedback is to learn abbreviations. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006 06:50:37 PM by umbrellamaker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my patterns at <a href="http://www.needyl.com">needyl.com</a>
ktgotskills
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006 08:05:37 PM »

that's it. i'm learning to crochet.

awesome! i've been lusting over these kinds of gloves forever. tutorial? just a little bit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://doveknit.blogspot.com
Started a knitting blog.
serialdeviant
Like personal swaps? Me too.

This was completely unintentional

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006 08:08:19 PM »

Those are excellent! I love pop-top mittens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

umbrellamaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006 08:22:48 PM »

tutorial? just a little bit?

ooo, I don't know how to write/read patterns (hence me just making it up as I went along). But more or less what I did was create a chain large enough to fit around my wrist (and actually, they are borderline too tight, so I'd recommend giving yourself a little room), join it and single crochet until you have a cuff. I would crochet into the front of one stitch and the back of the next so the cuff would be a slightly different stitch. Once I had a nice wrist warmer, I single crocheted adding a couple stitches each row (sorry, I don't know how many. I'm trying to recreate these right now, and am kicking myself in the ass for not writing it down). I did that until I got past my thumb webbing and could divide the top into two parts, thumb and fingers. I added a thumb, then continued up until it was comfortably past my fingers. I know I had to add another stitch about every 3 stitches or so on my last row of pink for the fingers, so there would be enough material to join comfortably between each individual finger. I single crocheted around all the edges with the dark brown and the "hobo" part was finished. The flap was made much like I'd imagine most mittens are (this is the first pair I've ever made), and stitched on across the back of my hand.

I know those aren't particularly clear. I'm sure someone has written an actual decent pattern for this type of gloves somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nerdnirvana
a resting place for overachievers.

happy now?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006 09:43:27 PM »

those are awesome handcovers, but what's the hobo part?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i can survive for three months on a good compliment. - oscar wilde.
this is not a solar symbol. it is a potato. - joan mir
umbrellamaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006 07:09:28 AM »

what's the hobo part?

the fingerless gloves. I don't know why, but hobos always seem to be wearing fiingerless gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006 08:30:28 AM »

I made a pair like those, and my dad calls them my "hobo chic" gloves.   If you're looking for a pattern: just take any old mitten pattern, crochet until the body goes over your knuckles, then made the top separately and sew it on halfway around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006 01:16:54 PM »

OH man, I have been wanting a pair of those!!!!  I am not very good at doing things without a pattern.  Kind of like I cannot play music by ear, but can read music.  Same concept I guess.

You did a great job.  If you do it again and can write it down I would definately make some. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006 01:28:27 PM »

you=amazing. Holy craps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
chattyKathi
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006 04:42:51 PM »

Those are very cool and they look like they both came out well! I never use a pattern because I have no clue what they mean! anything I do is all imagination...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Edit the Grid in Flash CS3
How to Feather an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Flatten Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Link Layers in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...