A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,849
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (yet another) Harry Potter themed TM patch Handbag (Picture Fat)  (Read 1872 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 10, 2012 06:44:01 AM »

So... I know the idea is not all that original. But I'm a massive potter head, and my buddy had pinned a couple of the themed TM patch bags so I figured I had to make her one for her birthday

I decided to manufacture the bag a little differently from the ones I'd seen, I wanted the finished product to look like something Mrs Weasley would carry around Smiley So I made up two mini-quilts of TM patches, then added a gusset and lining in bright felt (I used whip stitch throughout to keep that TM style going). I opted for hard handles at the top just because I liked the way they looked. It's soft and colourful, a bit messy (all hand sewn, not a machine in sight)  but I was really pleased with how it came out and my friend likes it!

Anyway.... here's the result:

side one -

The patches here are:
- DA communication coin (on red background) with my friends birthday written along the edge as the date for the next meet-up. Metallic thread because I like shiny things!
- cauldron
- Lily heart graffiti - I was really pleased how the wood grain came out for this one:
- Mermaid bead (this is flipped up the wrong way in the main photo, opps!)
- the Crown of the Weasley King in metallic thread with sequins. I was really annoyed about the pen I used to sketch this one out, it was supposed to be washaway but I could not get it to budge. I used the same pen on the same fabric in other places and it was fine so I have no idea what happened here. Anyone have any clues what I did wrong?
- Winged Keys. These are actually two charms layered together - wings with keys on top, since I couldn't find any winged keys. I had to sew them pretty tightly to keep them paired, but I did leave a little movement so it looks kinda like the wings flutter
- Humming Bird patronus. I spoke to my friend's hubby and he suggested a humming bird as her patronus, as it's the national bird of Jamaica where they got married (plus it's pretty). I was super pleased with this patch - even through that silver thread is a pain to work with
- the sorting hat!
- the hallows symbol
- Harry's glasses and lightning scar
- a crystal ball
some close-ups...

Side two:

here the patches are:
- the mauraders map
- Padfoot's paw print
- 'This Button is a Portkey'
- A ravenclaw eagle (my friend is a ravenclaw like me). I was a bit disappointed with the text on this one, I went a bit off the rails, but didn't notice until I'd finished and I just didn't have the heart to unpick and re-sew all that metallic thread (I now hate metallic thread. It is such a pain. Anyone got any tips for how to make it behave while you sew with it?)
- Pigwidgeon!
- SPEW badge - I just made cover buttons. I made a few in different sizes and colours so I could play with what looked best, and I threw the extras in the bag for my friend to attach to her none HP clothes so she can have a bit of Hermione wherever she goes Smiley
- A golden snitch with golden bead wings
- Trevor!
- A firebolt

some closeups....

That's it Smiley I mostly used running, back and stem stitch, plus a few french knots and some seed stitch in the backgrounds. I'd never done stem stitch before so I was pleased to have a chance to learn and I think it all came out pretty good.
All the patches are made from quilters cotton since I could get it in a range of colours. The lining and sides are felt, with a shop-brought wooden handle.

It may not seem like it, but I did try to restrict myself on pics - if there is anything else you would like to see close up I can post more! Sorry if it is already too clunky

I'd love any comments, ideas or constructive criticism Smiley maybe someday I will do more bags for my other fandoms, I had fun making this and it's good to share some geek girl love Grin

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012 10:27:10 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Bobbysgirl
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012 06:56:11 AM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012 03:16:28 PM »

That's awesome!  My daughter (7yo) is reading the series now and came up behind me and recognized most of the patches!  She hasn't finished the books yet, though, so some of them were foreign to her.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AugustBell

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012 05:54:15 PM »

This is so great!! I can't decide which patch I like best. I really love the Trevor one.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenleahlynn
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012 12:32:41 PM »

i love the quilting around the raven. i keep hearing about tm patches and i looked up her website, but i don't completely get what details make it a tm........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
-i love to try new crafts, and learn new techniques. my strength is color pencils, but i also scrapbook, stitch, crochet, bead, any excuse to head to the craft store!

harry potter craft along
teesha moore patch swap
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
bebedechocolate
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012 05:01:53 PM »

I am completely in love with the expecto patronum, Trevor, and the Lily heart. That is one AMAZING bag. Your friend is very lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!  I can sew, knit, and crochet.  I have a 9 year old who loves to do swaps as well so we can do a mommy/daughter swap package. Smiley
Sharalee

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012 12:23:39 PM »

You did a great job!. I have started a TM Patch bag, but still not done. I like the handle it's a different look, also the top band of plain the fabric is nice. Great hand sewing job!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap RD 3"
"Fall Character Ninni Swap"
'Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
noodle-bug

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012 05:20:07 AM »

i love the quilting around the raven. i keep hearing about tm patches and i looked up her website, but i don't completely get what details make it a tm........

It's a bit of a craftster name, I think, just a useful shorthand as s lot of people here will then understand what you mean - basically she pioneered the use of little stuffed and embroidered patches to make things (bags, book covers...) as well as making somne greta instructionals with ideas on how to construct the patches and sew them together, so anything made using those kind of little patches is 'TM'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
noodle-bug

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012 05:23:26 AM »

I like the handle it's a different look, also the top band of plain the fabric is nice. Great hand sewing job!!  Cheesy

Thanks Cheesy I wanted it to be more off a handbag (rather than the shoulder strap bags often seen in TM variations) so I wanted a hard handle - and I think it makes it look a bit more Mrs Weasley-ish too. the pink fabric is the same as I lined the bag with, and (can't see in the pictures really) as the sides and bottom are. teh sidea and bottom are jsut about 2 inches wide, just to add a little depth really and make the bag a bit more useful that way

I hope your bag goes well, can't wait too see it on here some day
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012 05:25:47 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robinpich

What an honor to be a "Best of" winner.........

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013 05:48:15 AM »

That is AWESOME!!!!! I can't wait to start on my beachy themed bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint a Cloud
How to Paint a Flower Using Watercolors
How to Paint Trees
How to Paint Flowers
How to Select Your Graffiti Supplies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...