A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Started With Polymer Clay (Check here before asking questions)  (Read 53747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glambastard
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2010 08:00:57 PM »

Im new to using clay. I read through a good portion of this thread. So for the above question, she could use superglue for the little pins before she bakes it?

And in the past when I've used the clay and tried to bake it, I feel like it always has a little give. maybe its not set all the way? I'm not sure. But is that normal? or should I bake for longer?

also can you bake it too long?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, I currently need art (paintings or something to hang on a wall) but I'd be up for anything.
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2010 08:25:03 PM »

You can definitely over-bake it, but you can let it cool and then re-bake it several times.  It doesn't cure to "plastic" hard.  It does have a bit of give.  More flexible brands like Premo and Kato have more give.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2010 06:39:58 PM »

Hello there poly clay newbie here! I was a ceramics fiend when younger hence this question...

Will poly clay (specifically Sculpty III) explode if it isn't hollow?
My object is about the size of a spool of thread (1.5"x1"-ish) of solid sculpty and I'm afraid of baking it haha I couldn't find anything on Diane B's site (lovely as it is) about it.

Also why acrylic paint? Just because of durability? Or will the clay combust if using something else haha (this is what plays through my head when I am unsure: worst case scenario haha)

THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
starcakes57

only way to craft, with a great dane in your lap

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2010 09:13:39 PM »

im sorry i dont want to read all 16 pages to find out if someone has asked this already so im sorry. every time i work with polymerclay after it bakes it breaks or rips, why is this? is it because i havent baked it all the way? or too much? please help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2010 09:38:17 PM »

hello - despite this thread (sorry mods don't get out the 'limbo stick')  we don't mind helping out as best we can.  tho i'm sure somewhere there is a 'search' button that can narrow down the search.  Smiley

not being an expert i can only give my own experience.  if polymer clay is very thin it may snap.  that has happened to me when i probably did not condition the clay well enough i think.  my clay was very hard and i would get tired and fed up.  but since then i have bought a chopper and pasta machine and also 'mixquick'  so i imagine that i'm conditioning the clay better now.  being thin i doubt that the clay was not baked enough and unless it changes colour or burns, baking it too long is not an issue.

hopefully that helps - i would like to suggest that any questions etc are started in a new thread then they are easier for us to find Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2010 06:10:30 AM »

Some brands are more brittle after baking than others. Sculpy is the most brittle, especially in thin areas. Coating with a varnish may help.
I've never heard of poly clay tearing after it's baked. That sounds to me like perhaps it wasn't baked long enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starcakes57

only way to craft, with a great dane in your lap

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2010 04:12:17 PM »

yeah im pretty sure thats what happoned i just continued to bake it until it was done and im ganna glue the leg back on to it later and then im going to put a finisher on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2010 08:24:51 PM »

and then post a pic so we can all see Smiley ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2010 02:10:15 PM »

Just below the tape measure graphic and to the right is the search box.  To search this particular thread, pick "Current Topic" from the drop-down menu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
xxclone_your_loverxx
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2010 04:55:17 PM »

How do you paint polymer clay?

Im trying to make earrings.....
do you paint one half and hold it til it dires..then paint the other half?

i tried painting a bead i made and here are the problems i had:
-the color was very blothy ( i used acrylic) do  need more than one coat?
-I realized stupidly that i couldnt paint the entire bead without at some point having to hold it on a freshly painted part and if i layed it down it messed up the wet paint where it was laying ( how to you paint polymer clay, is there a tact?)

-also! if im making something that is very swirley and not flat, how do i lay it when baking it so that it keeps its shape?

-do i paint it before i bake it or after?

thank you for any answers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
How to Cook Lemon Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...