A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Started With Polymer Clay (Check here before asking questions)  (Read 55437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purplewitchhazel
Why is there cat fur up my nose?

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2009 12:11:24 AM »

I have not gone out and bought fancy tools, only because for the amount i make, it's not worth it unless i start selling. The only thing i bought specifically for the clay was a hand roller. It's small, but has a very heavy rubber roller if you aren't able to use a pasta machine (which i'd LOVE to own one of).

Things that come in handy that MAY be found in the house, and what i use atm.
Rubber gloves (the vinyl type, not the washing dishes type)- for anyone who doesn't know this, you will leave fingerprints on the clay, and the colours stick to your skin and leech onto the next lot of clay you use, leaving a discoloured object. The colour goes on the gloves but does not come back off.

Pottery tools - knives, scalpels, paint brushes, paddlepop sticks, needle tools, scrapers, tissue blades, corrugated cutters, rolling pins etc.

Moulds, any sort of stamps, fabric for texture.

Storage - plastic freezer bags, or re-sealable ziplocks or garbage bags so keep your clay in. You can use containers but make sure they're air tight.

This is all i can think of atm but i hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2009 10:13:53 AM »

zatanna, just wanted to point out that I do disagree about something in your list: Grin

Not worth the money to start with:
. . .Expensive clay. While just experimenting, I was glad I had cheapish clay (sculpey) because everything I made broke, was ugly, covered in cat hair after being dropped, etc.

LOLOL... the parts about being ugly and covered with cat hair might be true, but probably the reason your clay broke was because of the brand/line of clay you'd bought (Sculpey III, SuperSculpey-flesh, or original Sculpey).  Those particular lines are weaker than all the others after baking in any places they're thin or projecting, and will break with much stress.  (Insufficient baking and joins that aren't made well can also cause breakage in any brand/line.)

Sculpey III is sometimes sold a bit cheaper at craft stores (and I see that the now-frrequent Michaels sales seem to have gone back to offering only Sculpey III when they have their 99 cent or half-off sales which is a crying shame!), but the stronger brands can be purchased cheaper online (in small or larger sizes) and perhaps at future sales.  Combine that with being able to mix one's own colors and using armatures when possible, and good/strong polymer clay gets much cheaper.
(Meanwhile, those particular Sculpeys can be used to make thick and rounded items or items that won't get any stress, but they'll still have the problem of being harder to work with because of their extreme softness --not impossible, just harder. . . or ScuperSculpey-Firm comes in a larger size for cheaper and will be strong after baking though it comes only in gray.).

Rubber gloves (the vinyl type, not the washing dishes type)- for anyone who doesn't know this, you will leave fingerprints on the clay, and the colours stick to your skin and leech onto the next lot of clay you use, leaving a discoloured object . ..

purplewitchhazel, as for wearing gloves most clayers don't really find they're needed (unless they're allergic to polymer clay) because there are ways to avoid fingerprints (or get rid of them if they do happen), and to keep colors from hands and work surfaces off of other clay... most clayers also find gloves to be uncomfortable and not allowing for the best direct "feel" of the clay.  (Re air-tight containers, they're great for polymer clay but not essential since the clay is oil-based, so some $$ can be saved there too.)

Diane B.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 10:27:07 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
bekibutton
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2009 10:31:53 AM »

Thanks all for hints and tips, when I get paid I'll buy some more poly clay and I'm sure I'll be posting questions and hopefully completed projects before you know it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was gonna take over the world but got distracted by something shiny

beckybutton.wordpress.com
beckybutton.etsy.com
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2009 01:13:56 PM »

I merged your thread with the stickied "Getting Started with Polymer Clay" thread.  Make sure to check it out.  There is lots of good info in there.  You can always do a search through it or the whole board to see if your questions have already been answered. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
beatofadragon

just making the world better one stich at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2009 02:15:25 PM »

i have a question you said the premo clay is a soft clay, but mine is really hard and i can't seem to get it to soften up, about how long does it take for it to be kneaded by hand to the point were it's soft and workable, cuz at this point i can only make a snake with it and i can't make any other shapes. please help???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hey check out my tiny etsy shop

www.beatofadragon.etsy.com

btw i'm lookin to start making soap if there are any suggestions someone has for me please don't hesitate.
penguintrax
Polyclay Freek

Perpetually Organizing my Bead Room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2009 02:32:02 PM »

You could have some really old clay (as in years old) or it could be partially cured. You could try chopping it up fairly fine with a stiff blade, mixing it with some liquid sculpey and letting it sit overnight before working it into a mass.

Premo is softer than Fimo Classic, but not as soft as Sculpey III.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ochamelon
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2009 07:58:15 AM »

i have a question you said the premo clay is a soft clay, but mine is really hard and i can't seem to get it to soften up, about how long does it take for it to be kneaded by hand to the point were it's soft and workable, cuz at this point i can only make a snake with it and i can't make any other shapes. please help???

I had a block of fimo go really hard on me. I ended up chopping it into very tiny pieces and rolling it with a pin over and over until it all stuck together again. Hard work though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweets deco and mini sweet tutorials: http://hikaria.wordpress.com
My Flickr and my Etsy.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2009 08:31:30 AM »

There are many ways to condition (or re-condition) stiffer polymer clays, and loads of info on this page about it:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Conditioning.htm
Sometimes the clay has actually gotten partially cured though rather than just having gotten stiffer from sitting. Although that clay can be reconstituted, it's much more hassle than most people would probably ever want to go to.  

Be aware though that the brands/lines of polymer clay that are stiffer right out of the package normally, are also the "best" brands/lines for getting excellent detail, avoiding distortion, avoiding fingerprints, etc... and also that the softest clays like Sculpey, Sculpey III, and SuperSculpey, although they're really soft and need little conditioning, are also easily breakable in any areas where they're thin after curing (as well as more prone to distortion, less sharp detail, etc).

(If your clay was actually partly cured by you rather than at the store or in delivery trucks/etc, you might also be interested in this page on how best to store raw polymer clay:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/storage.htm )

HTH, though waaay late and mostly for future newbies,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009 08:37:32 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
honey pudding
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2009 05:28:02 AM »

Hi,

I started playing with polymer just a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it.
I had made my stuffs into magnets and now attempting to make them into charms by pushing the eyepin in and bake them
However, my eyepin can be pulled out?  It doesn't stay in finished, baked product.
I checked so many tutorials on making charms and they used the same eyepins... and push it in ...

So where could I have gonge wrong?

Please help...

thank u very very much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2010 06:52:26 PM »

Try a bit of glue on the eyepins.  Sometimes superglue is ok, but I prefer a quick-setting epoxy.  In the future, make some bends in the pin before you stick it in to give the clay something to grip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Lily
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
How to Do the Graffiti Letter N
How to Do the Graffiti Letter H
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...