A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: travel journals and other gifts [many pics]  (Read 6292 times)
Tags for this thread: book_binding , map , collage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

minouette
« on: January 13, 2006 05:05:59 PM »

Hello-
It's now safely past xmas so I need no longer be paranoid about friends spotting their own gifts on line. Smiley I got a whole collection of maps free (including earthquake epicentres, gelogical maps, aeromagnetic data for any interested crafty earth scientists) at work so I decided to make travel journals. I was inspired by some of the journals I've seen here made with different papers. I filled them with various lined paper, graph paper, colour paper and more maps of places chosen for the recipient (places they've been or want to re/visit and so imaginary places like Oz too). I managed to find "Elizabeth Island" for my friend Liz. I added a vinatge motorbike for my brother the motorcycle riding geologist.

Sorry about the picture quality... I was in a pre-xmas rush!

My other brother got a film journal. The front is supposed to look like film. Inside the pages are alphabetized and include pictures from movies associated with the letter in question. The idea is that he can write down says mini reviews or reminders to rent something or whatever.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006 06:05:35 PM by minouette » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006 05:10:40 PM »

wow, everything looks so great! i've always wanted a travel journal, i think i might have to make one for myself one day and steal your idea! and that movie journal is pretty nifty too Smiley i hope everyone loved their presents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
xoxcitylovexox

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006 08:19:38 PM »

wow those travel journals are a great idea... next summer im going to spain and france....i think im going to have to find some maps and make one to take with me on my trip! brilliant idea, thanks for the inspirtation! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fingertip
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006 08:07:37 AM »

I love the travel journals! I think it is a great idea that you used maps for the covers. I hoped everyone liked their gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
craftylucy
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006 03:55:32 PM »

Question *raises hand*

For these mixed paper books, I'm assuming you used single sheets of paper and bound them as opposed to stitching signatures...if so, how did you bind them and which adhesives did you use???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TalkAboutLush
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006 07:07:21 PM »

I love the travel journals!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beanblossom
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006 11:04:29 AM »

They look great.  I used a map for a cover of a book that I made for my mom with pictures of our trip to Prince Edward Island.  It was interesting to me how important maps are when you are traveling somewhere completely new to you and your not in a travel group.  The map became really part of the trip.  I like the idea of making books for friends with maps of places they want to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you live each day of your life. -Jonathan Swift
minouette
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006 01:40:59 PM »

Oh wow! Thanks for all the positive feedback. Smiley I really appreciate it. Most people really loved their gifts (though some remain confused by the whole hand-made gift idea so perhaps they'll get something else in the future  Undecided ). I really love maps and was happy to have a good idea for their use.

For these mixed paper books, I'm assuming you used single sheets of paper and bound them as opposed to stitching signatures...if so, how did you bind them and which adhesives did you use???

Actually, I did bind them in signatures. I used a coptic stitch for the binding (see tutorials here and elsewhere on-line). I tried to make sure that the heaviest weight papers were at the outside of signatures. I also tried to avoid using vastly different weights of paper. I used acrylic medium as my main adhesive. It's easy to get, is water soluble and dries clear (though maybe PVA might be a stronger product). I occasionally use simple acid-free glue sticks to place and potentially move things prior to adhering them with the acrylic.

I think if I make any more I will include a pocket on the inside cover for useful items (i.e. city maps etc. and pen).

beanblossom- your PEI book sounds lovely. Smiley

thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onecraftybitch
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006 11:24:51 AM »

The travel journals sound like a brilliant idea! I would love to have recieved one of those for Christmas ( or any other time!).

I love that they are covered in maps-beautiful! Maps are so functional and beautiful!

What kind of material did you use for the covers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006 11:49:47 AM »

Thanks onecraftybitch! I love maps too...  Cheesy

I actually just used corrugated cardboard, recycled from a box for the covers. It's cheap/free and readily available. I would really like to get my hands on some museum board (pressed paper cardboard without the corrugated part) so that I can carve edges near hinges (i.e. next to spine) at 45 degree angles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Photos to a Frame
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
How to Add a different background
How to Change the Color of a Digital Backdrop
How to Create a Sports Poster
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...