A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christchurch  (Read 19726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2005 08:11:37 PM »

Hey, apparently today is international knit in public day, and I just found out some people are meeting up at coffee culture in the Palms tonight to knit!  Just thought I'd let you guys know.  I'll be there!  It'll be good to meet some chch knitters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2005 10:28:37 PM »

Aw man- if only I had checked this thread before I left. I just went to the movies and could've had all the skanky teens sitting behind me stare at me as I knitted away...
Any other news of crafty happenings or developments in Christchurch?
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
sewcherry

I live for LOST...go HOT doctor GO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005 10:41:54 PM »

stargirl your icon is hilarious where the heck did you get that.  everytime I see you in a forum I LOL.

Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and add some gin!
stargirl52

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005 11:32:23 PM »

Ha, SO many people ask me that. Like, I have got 30 pms about it.
I actually have no idea where I got it.
How i wish I knew...
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl52

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2005 01:34:10 AM »

Well, I went opshopping yesterday and came back with some splendid finds, such as...
-New school shoes, brown t-bars for $2 (Clyde Rd)
-A pink POWER RANGERS watch for $4 (Savemart)
-A black velvety blazer for $5 (Savemart)
-Mismatched but gorgeous earrings for 50 cents(Church Corner)
-2 men's blazers -one tux and one tweed for 50 cents each (Church Corner).
-The most delicious fantabulous amazing foofy pale blue tut skirt (almost identical to one I saw in Lippy) for $5- actually $10 but my friend and I split it- (Riccarton.)
A few more uninteresting thingies. My friend got dangly earrings with hamburgers on the end for 50 cents, which was quite the find.
Anyone else have any interesting finds recently?
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewcherry

I live for LOST...go HOT doctor GO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2005 08:32:20 PM »

Wow stargirl I just got back from visiting my sis in ye old CHCH and boy did I hit the mother load!  Ricarton (sp?) shops kick ass for 2nd hand I got soooooo many vintage buttons I am sweet love.  can't wait to go again.  I went to that military antique curios shop (can't rem the name) and ohhhhh the choice finds.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and add some gin!
stargirl52

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2005 02:13:22 AM »

Well hello, fellow Christchurchers.
If I was a true craftster, I would make a new thread for this. But I'm not, so there.
I highly doubt any of you crafty beans will be able to respond to this in the way I am hoping, but it's worth a try.
Do any of y'all out there happen to have old beads and necklaces that you have abandoned and would be willing to donate to me? I don't mind if they are broken or ugly, anything will do. I will also happily take brooches or other trinkety thingies off your hands.
Well, it was worth a try.
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

epiphany
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2005 03:41:59 PM »

Stargirl...try some of the cheaper antiques/vintage shops. I had a scour round a year or so ago & found some nice stuff. There's a place almost across the road from Spotlight on Colombo St that sells some really nice vintage jewellery quite reasonably (I hope he's still there - I actually moved to Oz earlier this year & I know he'd been thinking of selling up at one point...so my apologies if he's not there anymore).

There was a mention about Beadz Unlimited many posts ago Smiley I do beading as a sort of 2nd job & have found them to be very expensive. Warren Agencies near Addington Raceway is a bit cheaper but, to be honest, I've had best results (price & selection) sourcing all my beads from overseas - even with the additional shipping, it still works out cheaper for people who want to buy more than the odd bead or two. Christchurch has 3 bead shops (ok, there's a couple of Beadz Unlimited outlets) & it's a bit of a pet gripe of mine that none of them really provide good service, cheap prices or a good selection. But I won't get started on that rant  Smiley

For people into altered books, there's always the annual library sale in the convention center. And the CPIT library often have good condition textbooks for sale near the info counter for $2. Plus op shops are a good source of board books, etc. I've also had good sucess with the $2 shop for little odds & ends to include in altered books (especially niche books).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viridis
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2005 09:51:48 PM »

Hey.

Since I'm new and in Christchurch i thought that I would say hi in here.

Since the person above was talking about cheap beads in chch- for seed beads I have found the warehouse to be cheapest. I havae found sets with hundreds of beads (in sets of 6 different colours) there for $1. They have other sets too. I bought a heaps of them last summer.

I was kind of wondering about the Riccarton rd op shop. I had thought that since it is near uni it might have been picked over too much too much to be any good. I'll have to check it out sometime.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sakura ashanti

If I was a rich girl, nah nah nanananana!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2005 10:16:39 PM »

Right-o, here's the long-overdue Christchurch thread!

Places to shop:

Hands, on Normans Rd, Bryndwr (sp?).  Treasure trove of cool stuff, unfortunately priced for the upper-middle-class housewife.

Spotlight, in the Spotlight Centre on Colombo St, Sydenham.  Lots of fabric, haberdashery, embroidery, floral, and doll-making supplies, as well as general crafting supplies.  Huge, yet perpetually empty, yarn aisle.  Cheaper than Hands though lacking in the sort of atmosphere in which inspiration strikes.

Bunnings Warehouse, Tower Junction.  DIY heaven, and the cheapest in town.  Good for all sorts of wooden and cardboard things to decorate, cheap paints and canvas, glue guns, and fun power tools.  Friendly, helpful staff who think it's perfectly natural for a girl to be in a hardware store (unlike Mitre 10, where the staff act like I must be lost!  But don't get me started...)

To be continued...

Hon, My mum worked there, They have THE BIGGEST MARK UP like EVER go to "craft world" On mumorial ave, or fabric vision. Spot light is good, but it takes forever to get surved....
Bunings is GREAT! love it there. Its so big, the staff are nice and i did get lost in there, its so big...I'm knda short....

Also, the best op shop in town is sooooo the one next door to me! Lolz, the people are soooooo nice and they have Fill a bag for $5, which is on at the mo. Its on springback st, Just of Waiakei rd. See the big red supa value, down that little rode by like, 50m. Lolz, Its onnly open tus-fri 10am- 4pm! Fill a bag is a one week sale!! Get in while it lasts!! No one pick up the white shirt in the window though plz, I have BIG plans for it...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005 10:22:07 PM by sakura ashanti » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, you do look a bit like my brother Fred! Fred, darling  Fred, I can call you Fred can't I?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Hollywood Glam S-Waves
How to Rock These Holiday Hair Trends
Pretty Double Knot Ponytail Tutorial
Klorane Dry Shampoo Review
How to Create the Perfect Chignon
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...