A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christchurch  (Read 19471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004 04:39:45 PM »

hiyas, here are some of my recent craft/op-shopping destinations in ChCh:

Savemart? in Sydenham (by blockbuster video) is huge - found some really nice 40's gear there and a glittery 70's western shirt. yay :-) Endless racks of reconstructable T-shirts.  A few doors from there towards city is a Salvation Army housewares shop with great retro curtain fabric and a lot of old books suitable for purses or other revamping (even found a muppets annual!).

Some of my best finds in the last year have been at local school and church fairs - I am over in St Martins/Opawa, but ventured to a couple over Fendalton/Merivale way too - picked up metal purse handles, yarn, fabric. old records and a pair of beautiful retro 70's rollerskates all for very little cash. I will post if I hear of any coming up around these parts.

Knitworld in Peterborough St - vast amounts of yarn and sewing notions, I recently got some cool iron-on heart patches there and fluffy acrylic yarn for my NZ swappage craft

Ballantynes - usually too expensive for me but I picked up some polka dot silk and shaggy black fake fur for 1/4 price in their last sale. I like their tea-rooms too they have lamingtons.

Warehouse Stationery - usually go there for business supplies, but have picked up fabric paint and tshirt transfer paper there, they often have great bargain stock. Cheap laminating too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004 10:10:28 PM »

savemart! that's the word!!!
cor blimey ballyntines is expesive aye? they had this black and white dotty umbrella for $$140!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked!
I'm doin hmwk at the moment, so this is a short post!
***Georgia***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004 05:49:28 PM »

Hey, I just wanted to say that I went to Spotlight yesterday, and lo and behold the yarn aisle was full, as well as the bins out by the counter.  They had the stuff I think you were talking about, Georgia, so you might want to check it out!

I really want to make a "Sophie" bag, but I'm going to wait until after exams before I buy anything!  It's so easy to get distracted at the moment (hence all the posting on Craftster)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
stargirl52

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004 09:08:06 PM »

Yay! Ive gotta go there in the weekend anyway, im out of material scraps 4 my embroidery (i'm really addicted! i did 3 and a half random patches last night!!)
My mum went out 2 cfaftworld in erm.... something road, and she said it's like a GIANT craft fair!! I must go in the weekend!! She bought me a mandarin and something rather lipgloss..... mmmm
***Georgia***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl52

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004 02:09:25 AM »

This post is officially dead.
Come on guys, where are all the chirtschurch people?
My friend and i have been customising tops, but we are out of black and white singlet tops- does anyone know somehwere where we could get some cheap basics tops, e.g. tees, singlets, wife beaters, cap sleeves.....?
Also, i have all of a sudden developed an interest in vintage clothing- where can you buy this in chch? I'm talking the flowy dresses, and 40s-50s, maybe some 60s gear here!
Sarahdotcom- have you attempted to sell anything to boxes yet? What are/were you thinking of selling?
I must be off, the olympic games call!
***Georgia***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004 01:15:58 PM »

Singlet tops - have you looked around at the Warehouse? The mens/boys section in particular has very cheap tees and singlets, some of the boy's sizes would be close to babydoll size too. I got a few men's blank raglan sleeve baseball shirts there for $5 each a couple of months back.
they were good quality for printing too.

Vintage!! Have you hunted around High street? Is Gerties still there? I haven't been around there for a while but have found gems there in the past. Some of the old antique shops there and in Sydenham have some great vintage dresses too. And of course there's Trade Me. I am after 1940's gear at the moment, suitable for Swing dancing! Will post if i find any great spots on my travels.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004 01:22:17 PM »

Knitworld in Christchurch (and I imagine rest of NZ) are having a sale this week (starting 16th August) and there is some really good yarn there on special.
For $30 I got 20 balls of a chunky orange cotton yarn, I am going to knit the Velma sweater in the Hollywood knits book with it.
They also have big plastic knitting needles for $1 a pair, and lots of things like buttons and zips at insanely low prices. And lollies at the counter :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004 03:36:15 PM »

I'll have to check out that Knitworld sale.

Do you dance with Jeff and Debi?  I teach with the uni dance club, and we get them in to do a run of guest classes once a year.

Gertie's is great.  I also have a favourite op shop - the Great Opportunity Shop on the corner of Riccarton and Euston.  They have a retro section at the back where most stuff is $8.  The other day I got the most gorgeous 50s silk dress for $25, which is the most I've ever paid for something from an op shop but it's handpainted, the fabric alone is worth more than that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004 05:23:27 PM »

Yes, Jeff n Debi taught me to dance. It is so much fun -  music and styling and dancing. I am currently drafting a pattern for a 40's frock off an op-shop find that I unpicked, traced the shapes, and will attempt to rebuild. Will post the pattern on craftster if I succeed. Big if.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004 12:06:24 AM »

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Stamped/Painted Collar
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...