A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
847 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Box of goodies for support/love/feel better  (Read 907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onecraftybitch
« on: January 13, 2006 07:14:00 AM »

Hello!
I am hoping that all of you crafty folks can help me with a care package/feel better/no matter what you do I support you box..( that was a bit long..yikes!)
My good friend is going through a rough time right now, with work, just breaking up with the boyfriend, car problems, and a health scare , ect..
She is 23, a 1st grade teacher, loves the color green, into romatic comedies, chick lit, penguins, and the color pink. ( I sound like I am writing a personal ad for her! ha!)
I want to put together a box of things/stuff to help her and let her know that she is loved. Essentially, what I am asking is...what would you want during a rough time that you make you feel better or stress less or reassure you that you are loved?

So far I am planning on sending her lotion that she loves, a card, chocolate, ...

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance you craft masters!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006 07:21:49 AM »

Are you local to her?  Maybe do something like one of those vouchers for a girly night in - you cook her tea/order takeaway, a copy of a favourite movie/voucers for the video shop, nice pudding/cakes, etc.

I know when I was teahcing, one of the best things a friend did was came into my classroom for a few hours after school and helped me with a display and some filing.  It was so nice to have him there, someone to chat to.  She might be quite an independant lass wo doesn't want any help, or you may find you have a skill that she could do with for a few hours to help her with school prep, like wordprocessing, internet research, laminating, etc.

One of the best baskets I did for my teaching colleagues was a nice wicker wastepaper bin with a label saying something like 'For the paperwork!', with Lush bath goodies (there are plenty of things online if you want to make your own) hot chocolate mix and chocolate covered spoons, wine, and I think I put in some candles and a relaxation CD too.

What crafts do you do?  Maybe find a pattern for a penguin stuffy and make her one.  Also, have you seen Malinki's fear monsters - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63733.0 - they are lovely, (and she's a brilliant woman too! [1]), your friend might appreciate one!

[1] - I met her on a train once, and we started chatting, discovered we are both Craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006 07:41:41 AM »

If your friend isn't local, I'd like to suggest that an interestingly packed package sometimes makes the present. Filling the box with tons of shredded, glittery paper and then making the unpacking of the box a mini-scavenger hunt is always fun. My sister sends me packages with a lot of random small things she gets at thrift stores in her town, and she always includes a note that is sealed and reads "Don't open until you are finished unpacking the box!" The note is always a list of each of the items in the box with a short description of how, when and where she got the item and why it made her think of me. Just that extra tiny measure of thoughtfulness makes me feel much happier.

Another idea is these surprise balls, which I found on notmartha.org (http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/surpriseball.html) when I was looking for things to make for presents this holiday season. I made four giant balls using small crepe paper rolls I bought at the dollar store and filling it full of laffy taffy, jolly ranchers, little stickers and trinkets I had lying around in my craft supply bin, good fortunes from fortune cookies, etc. Everyone I gave them to had so much fun unwrapping them that I would definitely make them again, and in fact went back to the dollar store last night to get more streamers!

Even if you don't send her anything but a nice card, though, I'm sure your friend will appreciate that you are thinking about her. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onecraftybitch
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006 09:51:38 AM »

Thanks for the ideas ! I wish that we were in the same place, but we aren't. Making her dinner/dessert would have been perfect! Going in to help with her class would have been so good too! Her kids are difficult and I know that she could use and extra set of hands!

I think that I might find/craft some indulgent bath stuff. I love love love the idea about the monsters....brillia nt! I may just be making something like that for her this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisisserious
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006 02:50:41 PM »

From what you said, it seems like you want something personal and sentimental to give her. My suggestion for you is something that I did for a very close friend last year when she was going through a rough time. The basic necessary things you'll need are an empty (new) journal, a pen, and a computer or library. In the beginning of the book, write some kind of note to her. To fill the rest of the pages you'll need to do some searching, which is where the computer and/or library come into play. Find lyrics, poems, and quotes that either relate to your friend's situation or would cheer her up. Only put one quote/poem/lyric on each page. If you can't fill up the journal, no problem. It can be a project that she, or the two of you, can keep adding to. Just fill it up with moving and special words that you want to be able to look back on and remember. If you want to additionally personalize the book you can turn it into a mini-scrapbook. Include things that bring back good memories and make her happy. You could put in pictures, ticket stubs, etc. If she has a favorite flower, press it (you can just put it between two pieces of wax paper and put heavy books on top if you don't have a flower press) and include that. You just want to make something that she can read and look at that will cheer her up and give her strength when she needs it.

It's not as quick or easy as going out and buying a candle or card, but the effort, thought, and heart that you put into the book will really shine through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006 05:35:15 AM »

Love the journal idea! That would be a wonderful gift to recieve- super personal and really thoughtful.

I'm going to have to look into putting that together. If not for now, then for her birthday for sure.

Thanks for the awesome ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisisserious
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006 03:02:43 PM »

Love the journal idea! That would be a wonderful gift to recieve- super personal and really thoughtful.

I'm going to have to look into putting that together. If not for now, then for her birthday for sure.

Thanks for the awesome ideas!

Walt Whitman's poetry is amazing. Pick up a copy of Leaves of Grass. It's like 2" thick and has some of the most beautiful words I've ever read in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 07:22:25 AM »

Walt Whitman is a master of words. I love his work.

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't own his books, but I bet that I can find them at the library!

( Whee for libraries!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim McEnery on the Book Hell in the Pacific
Fantasy Writers on Their First Steps in the Field
Jeffrey Eugenides on What Makes a Good Film Adaptation
Joyce Carol Oates on Violence in Writing
Azure Antoinette Shares a Poem at the IdeaFestival
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...