A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pagan/ Naturesque Gift for baby from "God" mother?? Help!!  (Read 1370 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 13, 2006 06:31:01 AM »

I KNOW you crafty folks can help me. I have been asked to be the guardian for a friend's baby. (Think godmother) except they're pagan. I wanted to get the baby something to give to her at the ceremony. Her name is Jade and i tried searching the meaning online but all it means is green gemstone. The only think i could come up with is a framed name plaque with her name is pretty script and possibly using green gemstones as decorations, perhaps making flowers out of them... who knows.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bastelmutti
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006 06:41:44 AM »

Congratulations!

I have made similar plaques. I chose a poem, wrote it in calligraphy and then framed it in a shadow box with dried flowers. Depending on what stripe of pagan they are, there might be a positive saying from their tradition that you could write in.

Another idea is an heirloom (not necessarily complicated, just meaningful) blanket made of a natural material. What would be really nice is 100% cotton fleece in earthy colors (or a color symbolic for you or them - green for her name?). My sister recently got my kids sweaters made of this material, and it's great. Another option is a crocheted or knit wool or cotton blanket if you do those crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006 06:59:22 AM »

I cant sew or knit or crochet but i can make cut and tie fleece blankets lol.

;DThe shadow box idea is brilliant! my mom bought me about 6 empty 8X10 shadow boxes for Xmas and I forgot all about them!!! That would be perfect! I am frantically searching for a poem relating to her name but I'm not having much luck.... I like the idea of finding a posiitve pagan saying or blessing or something... You've given me a lot to think about-- thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Auri
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006 12:51:35 PM »

Hi,

A little blessing I sing to my little one each night is.....

Goddess my shield, my encircler,
Each day, each night, each dark, each light.
In my lying, in my standing,
In my waking, in my sleeping.
Goddess be my strength everlasting.

Or a nice Mother Earth blessing

Pray to the Moon when she is round
Luck with you shall then abound
What you seek for shall be found
In sea or sky or solid ground

And don't forget the simple 'Blessed be'!

I am sure I can think of many many more that were either said to me as a child- or that we say to Morven!

Good luck!

Auroraxxxx
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006 12:56:37 PM by Auri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just remember if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

http://www.wists.com/auri
just me
this space for rent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006 07:26:16 PM »

I wanted to get the baby something to give to her at the ceremony. Her name is Jade and i tried searching the meaning online but all it means is green gemstone.
Perhaps this description of Jade (the gemstone) will give you some ideas.  Some wonderful images of how different cultures thought of the stone...
"The toughness of jade is remarkable. It has a strength greater than steel."
"this gem is regarded as a symbol of the good, the beautiful and the precious. It embodies the Confucian virtues of wisdom, justice, compassion, modesty and courage, yet it also symbolises the female-erotic."
"In ancient Egypt, jade was admired as the stone of love, inner peace, harmony and balance. In other regions and cultures too, jade was regarded as a lucky or protective stone."
"And in gemstone therapy it is said that jade 'stimulates creativity and mental agility on the one hand, while also having a balancing and harmonising effect.' So this beautiful gemstone brings us joy, vivacity and happiness all at the same time."

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006 07:28:23 PM »

"The toughness of jade is remarkable. It has a strength greater than steel."
"this gem is regarded as a symbol of the good, the beautiful and the precious. It embodies the Confucian virtues of wisdom, justice, compassion, modesty and courage, yet it also symbolises the female-erotic."
"In ancient Egypt, jade was admired as the stone of love, inner peace, harmony and balance. In other regions and cultures too, jade was regarded as a lucky or protective stone."
"And in gemstone therapy it is said that jade 'stimulates creativity and mental agility on the one hand, while also having a balancing and harmonising effect.' So this beautiful gemstone brings us joy, vivacity and happiness all at the same time."

I like these a lot, I'll definitely try to work these in. Thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Feinstein Plays "Love Is Here to Stay"
Kati Martin Reflects on Her Life - Happiness, Pain, and Loss
Dr. John Norcross on "Changeology"
"The Blessed" Book Trailer
"Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Interview with Mark Nepo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...