A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,432
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bridesmaids colors.... HELP!!!  (Read 2236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Ha cha cha cha chaaaaa! Delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006 06:47:23 AM »

Forgot...thought of some more things.  People suggest empire waist for bigger girls, but if they have larger chests they will likely just look pregnant.  All that fabric flowing from the largest part of their upper body can be really unflattering.  Even being bigger they might look better in something more fitted, even strapless if they've got "the goods" Smiley  Separates might be tricky, some of those tops are very short if they are bigger on top, their tummies may show even in the proper size.  Proper undergarments are absolutely key.  And it's a good tip to try to make your bridesmaid who is the least comfortable with her body the most comfortable with her choice, and go from there.  The rest will be a lot easier.

Oh, and even if you're not buying from them, Davids is an awesome place to try on dresses for people in a variety of sizes Smiley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006 07:29:28 AM »

I agree with purplepooh, empire waists are no good.  They make me look pregnant, and I am small, but had three kids so have that "shape".  I can just imagine what it would do to bigger gals!

Proper undergarments ARE key.  I don't know how many times I have had my clients come for a fitting wearing a regular bra.  Regular bra's are for t-shirts, not gowns.  a bustier is recommended.  I have a policy where I wont guarantee anything if proper undergarments are not worn.

And I think princess seams flatter anyone, especially girls with lots of curves.

HTH (again!)

Michelle Giordano

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006 07:37:24 AM »

Yea, go fitted, and here's a third vote for the bustier. My bridesmaids enjoyed the outings together so you could make a trip to Davids together. My MIL who made my dress took me to Davids then to a shop that sold Vera Wangs and stuff, nothing under 2 thousand dollars, you know, the stuff no one can afford... and we tried on dresses there too. It really helped with sizing and styles. Colors are different in finer fabrics like silk than they are in satin, and the fabrics wear differently too. I am a big busted big girl, and I never thought I'd  go strapless or fitted, but both options looked the best in the right fabric.

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006 08:16:33 AM »

I'm having trouble with my bridesmaid dresses.  I have seen a dress that i really like and think it is simple, classic and elegant and should look good on the girls.  The colour is very autumnal so if i buy it now i could save some money from the sales and just keep them until September.  The only problem is what if the girls change shape?  also one of them (the thinnest) said it didn't look great on her, but it suited the other two, so what do i do?  None of my bridesmaids has offered to pay so i am having to buy them all myself - i can't afford to spend much as there sre 3 to buy for and a flower girl - i feel quite lost as to what to do. Should i buy them now or wait until closer to the wedding and just take my chances - the colours (burgundy/wine) won't be so popular in summer as they are in winter, so i don't know whether to buy now, even if one bridesmaid doesn't like the dress, or wait. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

learning to hex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006 08:31:07 AM »

You could buy them now one size larger and then have them altered right before ensuring a perfect fit( unless someone ends up preggers or goes on a giant binge).As for the "friend" who doesn't think she looks good in it--gently point out it is only for a couple of hours and your buying so in the name of friendship could she handle it. ( It sounds much nicer than " of course you don't have to wear it, if you don't come -you selfish monkey!")
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Erica Brown on Writing a Book About Death and Funerals
Dead Bodies Tell Their Stories With Bess Lovejoy
Shirtless Hunks Quiz with Author Jackie Collins
Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
Afterlives of the Dead and Famous
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...