A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: toilet paper caddy NOW with tutorial (image heavy)  (Read 9727 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2006 03:09:20 PM »

I have a problem with my cats and kid destroying toilet paper when it hangs in the regular spot.  I've been keeping the tp in a drawer in the bathroom bureau but it's awkward to get at, especially for the older folks who come to visit.

So, this is what I made today:

It's pretty plain.  I think I'll make a new one with a liner and in the colours of my bathroom, maybe some decoration on the front (I'm not normally inclined towards sea shells, but maybe for this - does anyone know how to drill holes in shells?)

Anyway, this should save the tp from small animal and toddler destruction.

Tutorial

Fabrics: I 've found that the outside should be a heavier fabric in order to keep the holder's shape as the tp gets pulled in and put back in and a lighter colour for the liner so the tp flakies don't show as bad.  I use a 1/2" seam allowance.  The measurements here should fit a double roll easily.

cut two 16" x 8.5"  and two 7" x 5.5"

Sew the liner and the outside both into basic bag shapes (the larger pieces of fabric)

and sew the corners like you would if you were making a tote

fold over and press top raw edges

Before you go any further, you want to machine baste the liner to the outside

Now, sew the nice sides of the smaller fabrics together along the longer edge.  Turn inside out and press

And put it all together

Here we are, catproof and may even possibly outwit a toddler

Let me know if I can make this tut more clear or if you have difficulties.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 05:42:29 PM by vegbee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madeleine09
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006 03:16:39 PM »

That is such a good idea, and it looks very nice, even plain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftymomof2banks

Follow me on facebook! Link is below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006 03:52:45 PM »

Now if that isn't genius I don't know what is.  Tutorial please.

I need something similar. But I don't have a toilet thingy holder. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with something. Right now it sits on the back of the toilet.  I wonder if I could attach something like that to the wall?

Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006 12:12:38 AM »

wow..I wish I had seen this two years ago, when my girls were in their toilet paper destruction/toilet paper the house, phase!
I bet you just made many a Mother very happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006 06:24:31 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  It's proving to be really useful (I haven't had to clean up drifts of shredded tp since I made it).

But I don't have a toilet thingy holder. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with something. Right now it sits on the back of the toilet.  I wonder if I could attach something like that to the wall?

Maybe you could just mount a hook and put a loop on the caddy or nail it to a board or the wall.  or a close by towel rack?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006 08:53:42 PM »

craftymomof2
  maybe a small hand towel rack they sell at  walmart or some times  the dollar tree.  Mount that then when  making the bag just make teh loop around the  bar of the towel rack.. it  would  be  permanant that way  or  you could have it  where it  would  wrap around the bar  then  velcro to hold it in place.

Vegbee  wonderfully   made.  do you have a dremel  with a diamond tip    or  a diamond tipped engraver of any kind.   slow and steady pressure you can make a perfect hole in a shell.   slow is the  key to  not  breaking it.......  and/ or put a piece of masking tape  over  the area you want the hole adn  make teh hole thru the tape that helps it to not crumble.   great Idea!!    you could  add these to a loved ones walker  for hankies and water bottles or remote controls  what ever they can  fit  in it......  well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 09:24:23 PM »

Hey thanks jloveg - I don't have a diamond tip on my dremel but I think I'll try the masking tape and see if that works anyway.  I have about 10 pounds of shells that were collected by granny over the years and she couldn't do anything with them so it's up to me.   Can't throw them out, right?  (although I have considered liberating them on various beaches because I hate it when people take souvenirs like that).  And good idea with the walker caddy, maybe one with a velcro grip for easy on/off to wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006 11:54:12 AM »

well,  the diamond tip is VERY universal  in its  use.. I highly recommend  getting one..   they are about 6 dollars give or take a few......   and I use it for eching glass,  trimming glass,  putting holes in fine or fragile things.  the  masking  tape  us  really  useful  at helping it be  sturdy  if you  can  tape  both side of where you are placing your hole  not  jsut  one side  unless you can't  get to both sides.   Good  luck  and bee sure to  post pics of  craft  when finished..

My sis gave me  three BIG boxes of shells  adn  since I had  so  many I  crafted  witha  few tehm  placed  a  bunch around the base of  my favorite tree  (the kids  colored some fist).... that at least gave teh little creatures outside a place to hide and it sorta but them back to nature.   the  lizzards  love to  sun on them.  lots of  little spider  families  have shelter too.   

depending on how big they are.... I had a box of the mini ones once and took the base of a clear lamp apart, added teh shells and  put teh lamp back together.   very  pretty  now  still use it  8 years later.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006 12:36:55 PM »

Clever project. I don't have any paper shredders in my household currently, but if I did I'd def. be making one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amanelle
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006 01:00:16 PM »

I need one of those, my cats shreds toilet paper every chance he gets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use an Embroidery Hoop
How to Make a Basting Stitch
How to Back Stitch
How to Wrap a Difficult Item
How to Choose Collage Materials
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...