A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Futon transforms into ....  (Read 2624 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2003 07:36:51 AM »

We replaced our futon mattress, and I still have the old futon.  

I'm planning to make some floor cushions (for extra seating when I host knitting circle).  I bought several blue XL men's shirts and women's dresses for the cushion covers.

I'm also going to make a cushion for my hope chest, so it will be a window seat.  

Has anyone done a similar project? Any advice? Otherwise, I'll jump right in and hope for the best.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004 08:42:23 AM »

"While you were Out" made a cool new chair out of an old futon mattress... I wonder if they have a picture or instructions on the TLC website? They just used some fabric to cover it and some pvc pipe to re-enforce the back... Let me see if I can find the project. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty-Trilobyte
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004 06:10:40 PM »

Any updates? We have an extra futon mattress just languishing in the basement. I'd love to do something with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." --Leslie Feinberg
wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004 11:24:40 AM »

TLC didn't have that particular project on their page. Actually, I was really disappointed with the lack of content on the "While you were out" site. Anyway, I wish I had a scanner so I could do a sketch for you, but here goes:

They had I think 6 pieces of PVC cut to the width of the futon, which they taped together with duct tape in a sort of "gun chamber"shape - one in the middle and 5 circling it. I'm not sure what diameter the PVC was, but it must've been fairly small-medium for this to work.  Then, they wrapped one end of the futon over the pvc and sewed the  end of the mattress together underneath. Finally, they covered the whole thing with brand-new fabric. It makes more of a lounge-chair thing than just a big mattress laying on the floor. The PVC is supposed to support your back so you can lean up against it without squishing it... Does this make sense? :-) Let me know if there's anything I can clarify!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty-Trilobyte
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004 06:59:14 AM »

Finally, they covered the whole thing with brand-new fabric. It makes more of a lounge-chair thing than just a big mattress laying on the floor. The PVC is supposed to support your back so you can lean up against it without squishing it... Does this make sense? :-) Let me know if there's anything I can clarify!

Thanks for posting! How big does the "lump" wrapped around the PVC end up being? Is it really as big as a chair back so you could lean comfortably against it?

Right now my tenative plans for the futon are:

Cut it in half.

Cut one of the halves into thirds (?). I'm playing this one by ear, but I want to create a cat bed and a couple of cushions. Our cat loves sneaking into the basement and lying on the futon so I'd like to create a cat futon for her.

Create a big lounging pillow or maybe do the above project with the other half. Would be nice to sit on while watching TV.

The spousal unit is skeptical that I can make it work since the futon structure isn't like that of a real pillow, but is supportive of experimentation. All we have to lose is a big ole futon sitting unused in the unfinished basement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004 06:04:59 AM »

The spousal unit is skeptical that I can make it work since the futon structure isn't like that of a real pillow, but is supportive of experimentation. All we have to lose is a big ole futon sitting unused in the unfinished basement.

Very true!   If you just leave it sitting in the basement, you'll never know, now will you?

I don't know what a futon is stuffed with, but cutting it sounds like it would work...   you would just have to sew up the sides or something...   It sounds like it will work.   And you can make it work!   Cause you're a crafty chica!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
anwa
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004 10:44:52 AM »

What about a futon FRAME? I have a beautiful one with a crappy matteress that is just sitting in my living room. It's currently serving as my "to the garbage" pile Smiley

I have thought of using it as a room divider but that's just way to easy! It's a wood slat frame. I absolutely love live plants in my house, maybe I could attached wall planters to them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
Crafty-Trilobyte
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004 07:27:58 AM »

I don't know what a futon is stuffed with, but cutting it sounds like it would work...   you would just have to sew up the sides or something...   It sounds like it will work.   And you can make it work!   Cause you're a crafty chica!

Woo! Thanks for the pep talk, I'll need it when it comes time to haul the futon upstairs. No way am I working on that sucker in a chilly basement.

The tricky part in taking a futon apart is that the inner material is wrapped in layers, although most American futons have a foam core. I figure I'll cut through the layers very carefully, cut out a little of the foam to make room, and baste the layers together. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to hold long enough to be stuffed into a new cover.

Anwa, I'd start poking at the frame with a screwdriver and try to get a feel for how it would come apart. Wall planters on wood sound nice.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004 07:28:32 AM by Crafty-Trilobyte » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty-Trilobyte
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004 12:23:11 PM »

Cover me, I'm going in! I just hauled the futon from downstairs and about to start cutting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004 06:35:54 AM »

Has anyone else had any success?

Last night I FINALLY dragged the futon upstairs and started the destruction.

I was going to make two 22'' by 19'' floor cushions.  That size would fit into a storage chest in the living room.  

First of all, the cutting was more difficult than I originally anticipated, especially with no help in moving the futon around.  The futon was made of eggshell foam surrounded by cotton fill surrounded by a polyester matting surrounded by the canvas.  

I started by drawing on the futon with a pencil and then cutting the canvas.  I basically just cut a 22'' x 40'' corner off.  I figure I would then cut it in half to get my desired size.

Then I cut the matting, trying to keep the scissors above the cotton.  
Then, using my hands, I split the cotton fill along the cut lines.  That seemed much easier and less damaging to my scissors.  
Then, I cut the eggshell foam with the scissors.  

Then came a challenge.  I had to fold the futon in half to get to the other side and just guessed wher to cut and repeat the process with the canvas, polyester and cotton.

So, before I cut it in half, I gave it a test sit and thought it was too flat.  I decided to double stuff the floor cushion and took the canvas and had to rework the size.  The stuffing took some coaxing to fit, but I think this is going to be more comfortable as a seat.

Over the course of 3 1/2 hours, I managed to make two cushions and most of one cover.  

The almost-complete cover is basically a fabric box. I used an old burgandy and tan dress for the larger surfaces and tan corduroy for the sides.  Since it's important that I can wash the cover, two of the sides are going to use velcro to slip on and off.  I thought that having just one side with velcro would not provide enough give.

I'm using a camera with film, so it will be a while before I have pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Asian Bites: Slow-Roast Asian Pork Recipe
Cooking for Kids: How to Make Stir Fry for Kids
"Bottom-of-the-Jar" Recipe: Peanut Sauce
How to Make Vietnamese Soft Shell Crab
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...