A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 1/12/05 - Rewrite History!!  (Read 30500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2006 07:44:00 AM »

Hey Craftsters,

On the Friends of Craftster board we've been having some discussions about how threads sometimes get a little long and unwieldy because there's a lot of "that's cool!" or "tutorial please!" being posted and so important questions and answers about the project are hard to find sometimes.

So what I'd like to suggest is this...

Did you all know that you have the POWER to edit your own posts? To do this click the MODIFY button at the top of any message you have posted!

So if you start a thread for a project you've created and throughout the course of the thread you answer some good questions, post some new pics of the steps involved, other people suggest interesting improvements, whatever... then you could consider editing your first post in the thread to add all of this new good info.

If you do this then people coming to the thread later on don't have to do as much sifting through all the responses!

Thanks for reading!

Leah

P.S.
I think it's fine and totally great to post your praise of a project! Even if it's just a simple "that's cool!" The person who posted the project deserves to hear this praise. So feel free to do this.

But enough with the "tute please!" posts. If one person has already posted this, you don't need to ask again. Wink If you're dying for a tutorial, and you've waited a while for it and the person doesn't provide one, you can PM them to ask for one but be respectful if they decide they don't want to share their technique for whatever reason.

And if you can't see someone's pictures, don't post this in the thread. Try again later because their bandwidth may have run up. And PM the person if you still can't see them. It just bogs down the thread to post "I can't see your pictures!" in the thread.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006 08:41:03 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006 08:08:38 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I don't mean to be the mean one, but maybe since people don't listen to everyone else saying, "We know you can't see the pictures, stop posting!", etc., maybe they'll listen to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
AmeliaBedelia
lover of all things shiny

i ruv you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006 08:09:56 PM »

done and done.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Its a better story than, I dont know, I think I stole it."
"You can't come to school drunk.  Unless it's like, lunchtime.  You know, a more appropriate hour..."
"Id rather pack up than put out.. I hate putting out.. the chairs! I mean the chairs!"

My friends make everything worthwile.
GoTo
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006 11:49:10 AM »

Can I suggest that folks not include photos in quotes from a thread?

Including the text is good, but waiting for the same image to load four times as you page through a thread is quite a waste of time and resources!  If you're already going through old posts, and see that you've quoted pics along with the text when it wasn't necessary, go in and delete the code for the image from the quote...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
craft-matic
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006 02:13:27 PM »

Can I add one suggestions, also, for everyone to consider?  There are a few threads that are decidedly unrelated to crafting, which have grown to monster proportions.  I'm speaking specifically of the cat, dog, wedding, and what we look like threads.  These are 80+ pages long, full of pictures, chewing up the bandwidth like pacman eats pellets! 

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I posted pictures of my beloved furries in two of these threads.  And after a couple weeks, I deleted the pictures.  It's fine to want to share--but NOBODY is going to look through 80 pages of cats, and there's no reason to keep the whole thread up.  I respectfully suggested in the thread once that, having shared our kitties,  people could consider deleting the older posts, especially those with pictures, and one or two people thought it was a good idea, but few people actually did it. 

The thing is, we all know how much work it is for Leah to keep up with this site.  Those of us who donate do it because we love the community and want to support it, and because having such a comprehensive archive of craft projects is mind-blowingly cool.  That's why it makes me feel so irked whenever bandwidth causes issues, and I know these ridiculous threads are out there!  I think the moderators should exercise their prerogatives to delete them.  Seriously.  If people want an archive of cats, there are other sites for that.  Right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006 04:33:43 PM »

Something that is done on a forum for which I moderate is that once a thread on one topic reaches a certain size (in this case it is 300 posts) the thread is locked and a new one on that topic started.  The locked thread is allowed to exist, but no one can post to it, for a period of time so that those who might have been having a discussion that carryed over have time to view the old posts, and some pertinent information is moved by the moderator to the new thread, but after a period of a week or so, the old thread is deleted. 

While I think that this would not exactly be useful in all cases on this site, aspects of it may make a world of difference.  I, too, realized that despite my interest in some of those monster "what does your *fill in the blank* look like" threads, they are causing problems.  For instance, I rarely access the forum through the index page of craftster.org.  I go straight to the forum.  However, on the index page is a snapshot of the top 10 threads in terms of number of posts.  For a very long time, the Jordy Bag thread was at the top of that list.  It has now been dropped to #5, with only ONE of the threads in the top four positions being craft related!!  Imagine what message this might send to a person new to the forums: What our hair and tattoos look like is more important to us than the crafts!  This may turn some people off entirely, which would be very sad, but there are probably others too whom this appeals, and then the problem becomes self-perpetuating.

So, while I am not entirely against threads like those, and in fact have myself posted to a couple, and I like the idea of being able to share with fellow craftsters other aspects of what makes us crafty, and other ways in which we express our creativity, I think that a "what do your tattoos look like" thread being the largest drain of bandwidth on the site (especially considering that most of the posts have pictures, and surely a large portion of those pictures are hosted on Craftster), and larger than the nearest craft-related thread by almost 1000 posts, is almost disgraceful. 

Like I said, I like to share with other craftsters as much as anyone, and have done so.  Perhaps if we worked together the thread-size limit for non-craft-related posts would work.  After all, as my crafty sistah Craft-Matic said, very few people will actually read through all the pages of a thread that monsterous.  If the thread was locked after a certain number of posts, who would really miss the posts at the beginning of the thread, or in the middle, when many people might look through the first page or two, and then post to the last page, then keep up with the pages FOLLOWING their post for a little while, but skip most of what came before.  In that way, the threads can be kept as a subtle addition to Craftster without being done away with altogether.  They can keep a low profile to the greater reason for this site:  Crafts.  It wasn't that long ago, really, when Leah had to disallow non-craft-related threads compeltely because they were overshadowing the crafts.  We do a disservice to Craftster if we allow that to happen again.  We as Craftsters should consider moderating ourselves a bit more before Leah has to take evasive action again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006 08:46:28 PM »

Lothruin, I just want you to know how much I agree with you. I agree SO MUCH that I am going to post what might be my first ever:

WORD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006 07:37:42 PM »

I don't understand why we can't actually delete posts/threads that we have made that are useless?

You can delete any post you've made except the software won't won't let you:

1. delete an entire thread (because others may have posted in it and you'd be deleting their posts too)

2. delete the first post in a thread even if it's you're post
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
ashinhimer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006 05:38:39 PM »

I think something else that would help would be to make things like say the clothing topics and in each subtopic, make certian topics where things like skirts, tops, etc go, so that you arent having to look through  40+ pages. also, maybe when your looking at all the posts, you can be able to look through them by the date they were made, not the last post. i think that would be nice Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006 08:41:33 AM »

I have to admit, occasionally I look through the last pages on a forum, because I'm relatively new, and if someone made something just perfect sometime before last October, I wouldn't know unless I look, right?  But a lot of the older posts, the photos are no longer there, and there's no real description.  Is there a reason to keep them around if the post is just "Look what I made" and a photobucket oops?  I honestly don't know much about computers, as I've probably just shown,  Roll Eyes so I'm not sure if deleting these (not the ones with tutes or something useful, just the ones that leave you with no idea at all what was made) would help with bandwidth issues and such? 

If I've displayed my ignorance (besides announcing it here Grin), forgive me.  My mom's the computer whiz, not me.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006 12:41:42 PM »

i seem to be a bit confused... if you're having a short discussion about the post like example i did this one and then later added new pictures of the same "technique" to a different post same thread different post because it just didn't seem to work if i added them to the origionaly and then someone said i did a good job and they had praised the first post and i thanked them and asked them had i improved and they said yes Grin would that be something that would need to me pmd? is this at our disgression or are there certain new rules. i don't want to upset anyone and want everyone to be happy. just don't really understand.
i do apologize
i'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding though peanut butter
just added:
*hey i'm getting the hang of this*
is it rude that when someone asks for advice you ask for pictures of the finished project within your advice post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
meowari
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006 01:57:03 PM »

I would love to delete some of my posts that are lost in 100+ pg threads, but I can't find all of them, unless I look through each and every page, which I don't have time to do. I tried to go to my profile, and looked under "show posts for this person", but there were just too many! Is there an easier way to find old posts, or do I just have to sift through it all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006 02:32:35 PM »

If you remember what some of those old posts were about, you could try the advanced search.  Or even if you just remember the typical thing you posted to.  The advanced search lets you specify by a user and post age. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
meowari
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006 07:00:29 PM »

Thanks, Lothruin, I'll try an advanced search!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Funkyblue

No Day But Today

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006 07:51:17 PM »

Please make putting on picture easyer!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

//..Funkyblue..//
poo head

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006 08:21:40 PM »

i must say... this site has one of the easiest picture posting once you get the hang of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
tivaclare
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006 03:15:26 PM »

THANK YOU!! I hope more people read this. I hate finding a post I like and then sifting through 25 pages of "awesome!" to find pertinent info.

I agree with the suggestion that the non-craft related threads such as "show me your tatoos", etc, should be limited. There are other online communities for such things, and those topics should be explored further there.

I know that imitation is supposed to be the best flattery, but I also get a bit tired of seeing someone make something, post at tutorial and then have five more people post, in seperate threads, their replica from the tutorial.

I highly encourage people to use the search feature. I've only been with the site since September and I've found that 99% of my questions have been asked before.

Just my 2 cents...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittingfreaky
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006 01:43:35 PM »

Hey Craftsters,

On the Friends of Craftster board we've been having some discussions about how threads sometimes get a little long and unwieldy because there's a lot of "that's cool!" or "tutorial please!" being posted and so important questions and answers about the project are hard to find sometimes.

So what I'd like to suggest is this...

Did you all know that you have the POWER to edit your own posts? To do this click the MODIFY button at the top of any message you have posted!

So if you start a thread for a project you've created and throughout the course of the thread you answer some good questions, post some new pics of the steps involved, other people suggest interesting improvements, whatever... then you could consider editing your first post in the thread to add all of this new good info.

If you do this then people coming to the thread later on don't have to do as much sifting through all the responses!

Thanks for reading!

Leah

P.S.
I think it's fine and totally great to post your praise of a project! Even if it's just a simple "that's cool!" The person who posted the project deserves to hear this praise. So feel free to do this.

But enough with the "tute please!" posts. If one person has already posted this, you don't need to ask again. Wink If you're dying for a tutorial, and you've waited a while for it and the person doesn't provide one, you can PM them to ask for one but be respectful if they decide they don't want to share their technique for whatever reason.

And if you can't see someone's pictures, don't post this in the thread. Try again later because their bandwidth may have run up. And PM the person if you still can't see them. It just bogs down the thread to post "I can't see your pictures!" in the thread.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarncookie
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006 06:51:38 PM »

I know I'm just as guilty as off-topicness as anyone, but i completely agree that the off topic (show us your______) posts should be limited. We need to keep Craftster for CRAFTS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006 06:54:06 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/craftsterguide.html#anchor5b
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
kimski
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006 09:03:22 AM »

I would love to delete some of my posts that are lost in 100+ pg threads, but I can't find all of them, unless I look through each and every page, which I don't have time to do. I tried to go to my profile, and looked under "show posts for this person", but there were just too many! Is there an easier way to find old posts, or do I just have to sift through it all?

Try this. Go to "Profile" at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page of your profile it says "Show the last posts of this person", click that.
I just looked at mine, there were 43 pages going back to april 05. I'm not sure if that's all of my posts, but it could well be. That may help you to find all your redundant posts and delete them.
Can someone confirm for me if it goes all the way back to one's first post?
(I'm suprised I didn't write, "OMG this is my First Post". I was probably trying to act cool.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006 10:41:31 PM »

i must say... this site has one of the easiest picture posting once you get the hang of it.
  I can't get photos to post, either.  I always just link to my blog because after spending an entire evening getting error messages, I gave up.

8(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
poo head

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006 07:37:46 AM »

all you do to post a picture, is
1. find where your picture is.
Code:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/andrea_poo_head/Crafts/atc/mini-adayinthelife-evening.jpg
be sure it's the image location, not the page location. if you use an image hosting site (photobucket, craftster image hosting, flikr...) they will give you this location it will end in .jpg, .gif ... , and if you use craftster's hosting leah gives you the code as well (next to "ubb code" then you don't have to bother w/ step 2)
2. use the image tags.
Code:
[img]
[/img]
  just put your location in those tags and you're set.
Code:
[img]
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/andrea_poo_head/Crafts/atc/mini-adayinthelife-evening.jpg
[/img]

i hope that explains it. it really is easy once you get the hang of it. although i'm not the greatest teacher.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006 05:47:41 PM by poo head » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006 08:33:10 AM »

all you do to post a picture, is
1. find where your picture is.
Code:
be sure it's the image location, not the page location. if you use an image hosting site (photobucket, craftster image hosting, flikr...) they will give you this location it will end in .jpg, .gif ... , and if you use craftster's hosting leah gives you the code as well (next to "ubb code" then you don't have to bother w/ step 2)

Flikr's terms of service state that you can't use the static photo page this way -- you have to link back to the photo's main page.  I always use the static photo page, becuase I can't figure out how to do it the way flikr wants it ---

Is there a way to get the image to display in the message, but have it link back to the main photo page on flikr?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poo head

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006 05:44:44 PM »

you mean make the image an actual link?

Code:
[url=http://photobucket.com]
[img]
[/img]
[/url]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006 05:48:53 PM by poo head » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006 07:06:15 AM »

Yes! Yes! That's awesome!  Thanks *so* much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sinnay
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006 06:21:31 AM »

Yeah thanks a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kacarrol
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006 01:27:24 PM »

I know that imitation is supposed to be the best flattery, but I also get a bit tired of seeing someone make something, post at tutorial and then have five more people post, in seperate threads, their replica from the tutorial.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with tivaclare on this issue. I like when they are in different posts for the most part because it comes down to the issue of sifting through a gazillion "awesome work" posts to see the other persons rendition. There are only a few exceptions to this like the "Halloween Costume" or "prom dress" posts that are set up specifically to collect all of those pictures together.

Thanks!

Kala
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smchicago
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006 08:13:35 AM »

I just logged on for the first time. Maybe I am missing an obvious thing, but could someone tell me how to ask a question and post it? Was that a dumb question? I see how to post a reply. Thanks for any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Neon Colors
How to Dress Well For the Office
Plus-Sized Bikini Bodies!
Should Plus-Sized Women Embrace The Bikini?
Full-Figured Fashion Week: Plus-Sized Women Call For Body Image Movement
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...