A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: rubber shelf liner?  (Read 1352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artymoi
« on: January 12, 2006 07:07:26 AM »

Okay I have tons of pieces of rubber shelf liner.   I got it to line trays and put magazine clippings for collages on to keep them in place - the problem is over time something from the rubber leaches into the paper and ruins them.  So after dumping out countless hours of work.... what else can I do with the stuff? 

The things I know ...are the practical - liike using it as rug liner or as a jar opener.   Also it can be covered with embossing powder, embossed then cut into shapes for cards and things......but  WHAT ELSE??    After these darn things have caused me so much frustrationg I want to at least do SOMETHING with them!   Please craftsters ...put your thinking caps on!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006 07:25:13 AM »

Can you toss up a pic? I don't know if you mean the cream-colored spongy liner or something else.

Thanks!

Pudruff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artymoi
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006 09:41:15 AM »

yes you are thinking of the right stuff - I have it in various colors. rubber, bumpy with little holes throughout.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
padray
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006 05:17:42 PM »

I bought this stuff to use as intended, as shelf liner.  That sucked--really.  Every time I'd try to lift a dish that was directly touching it, the liner would come with the dish!  That got really irritating, really quickly!  Unfortunately, the only other use I've found so far is also practical:  It is an excellent packing material for in-between dishes and for lining (moving) boxes.  (I paired it with bubble wrap.)  Hope this helps someone!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006 10:00:36 AM »

My solution - throw it out.  I know that doesn't fit with the theme of this board, but that stuff is nasty.  No matter how you use it, it breaks down and sticks to things.   It's a horrible product.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
Deirdre
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006 12:27:27 PM »

My dishes stick to it as well.  I think I should put some contact paper over it. 

I have found that it's excellent for opening hard-to-open jars.

Pudruff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pumpkinbear
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006 12:54:19 PM »

If it's the white spongy stuff with all the holes in it, I put it under my kid's carseat in the car. It keeps the carseat from shifting around, thus keeping the kid safer--a definite yay. The carseat inspector from the fire department gave me my piece of shelf liner, so if you don't feel like doing something awesomely crafty with it, you could maybe donate it for the purpose of raising a society full of less shifty kids?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forfun
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006 01:50:41 AM »

Ok, so we know it sticks to stuff & keeps it from sliding, so think beyond rugs. I'm a certified clutz & if it's not nailed down I'll tip it, spill it, knock it over, etc. Attach it to the bottoms of all the things in your house that you need to be able to pick up & move on occasion but would still be nice if they didn't slide like phones, fans, pencil cups, coasters, etc. I've also used it to make mouse pads & on the bottom of the Sirius antenna in the car. But I have to say, less shifty kids is a much better goal than my convenience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruwena
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006 01:58:50 AM »

My solution - throw it out.  I know that doesn't fit with the theme of this board, but that stuff is nasty.  No matter how you use it, it breaks down and sticks to things.   It's a horrible product.

LRS

The cheap kind you get at places like Big Lots and dollar stores does that to me too but I have never had a problem with the more expensive kind. I think the brand I use is Duck or something like that. They also make duck tape Wink Spend a couple of extra bucks and the stuff lasts for years. Never had trouble with it sticking to dishes but it does stick to the shelf after a year or so.  The more expensive one doesn't have holes in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artymoi
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006 07:20:59 AM »

Well I actually found another use for the stuff - not crafty at all though Sad  .   It works well at getting dried cat puke off the carpet - and since some of those cat fur brushes are made with rubber bristles I'll try it for getting fur off the couches too.   Still looking for a great crafty use though.   So far the answers have been useful for other reasons - I'm going to stick a piece under the tissue box in the car so it doesn't slide around so much - thanks for the help craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pintura and Curly Styling
A Curly Hairstyle for an Evening Look
Festive Holiday Hairstyles
How to Get a Quick Top Knot by Percy and Reed
How to Get a Quick Up Do by Percy and Reed
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...