A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: books for lefty crochet  (Read 1066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kristen vs mothra
« on: January 11, 2006 06:45:18 PM »

i also posted this in the book section, but i thought it might get more play here...does anyone know of a book/books for a crochet beginner that is good for left-handed craftsters?  i'm having a hard time learning, and i can't find anyone to teach my themselves.  i found one book that had a whole left handed section, but it turned out it was kind of old and had some errors.  i was looking forward to the stitch n bitch crochet book this month because the knitting book was lefty-friendly, but it's gotten bumped back to april i believe.  i'm dying to crochet!  SOS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006 06:59:34 PM »

APRIL?! ugh!

In the FAQ, there are links to tutorials for lefties
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Kiwimonkey
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006 07:02:35 PM »

I went on amazon and searched for left handed crochet book.  I can't exactly remember then name of the one I got, but it was something like "Learn to Crochet in a Day"  Left-handed version.  I haven't sat down with it and some yarn yet, but in looking through it, it seemed pretty good.  You might want to check it out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006 08:22:43 PM by Kiwimonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006 08:31:11 PM »

Try Encyclopedia of Crochet.
I was using it tonight and there are columns of illustrations for both lefties and righties on everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barraGOUDA
Gigantic Dork

I am a gigantic dork.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006 04:36:16 AM »

I went on amazon and searched for left handed crochet book.  I can't exactly remember then name of the one I got, but it was soimething like "Learn to Crochet in a Day"  Left-handed version.  I haven't sat down with it and some yarn yet, but in looking through it, it seemed pretty good.  You might want to check it out.

Yes! That's what I used. I had a right-handed friend teach me crochet originally, but it was kind of confusing and after a while I'd forgotten how to do it completely so I got this book and it worked well. The patterns in there are pretty grandma-ey but the instructions are sound.

Yay Amazon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local locksmith: lose your keys.
kristen vs mothra
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006 03:09:10 PM »

thank you so much for checking that out for me!  now i feel like i a jerk, i totally could have done that myself.  i am going to go check both those out post haste!  you guys are the best!  and yes, i heard april, and then i looked at the publishing info on amazon and it said february something...i don't know what the hell the deal is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just me
this space for rent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006 08:14:54 PM »

Also, Crochet Your Way by Gloria Tracy and Susan Levin has some very clear instructions for lefties.  Barnes and Noble on-line for used books has some great prices for it, too. 
Here is a "customer review" about the book:
"This is an invaluable book for both beginners and experts; right handers and left handers. Since I am a 'lefty' finding crochet books are VERY limited. This book is a gem. I taught myself to crochet in a week and was on my way to crocheting an afghan the second week. This book will be one that you will be referring to as you crochet your way to enjoyment. I will be getting a second one just to 'have on hand'. Thank you Gloria Tracy and Susan Levin."

Hope you find one you like, and happy crocheting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nyoqu
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006 08:49:16 AM »

I am a lefty and used Crochet Your Way. The step-by-step illustrations were great. One of the authors is a lefty, so they've got lots of tips.   I didn't use any of the patterns in the book other than the learn-to-crochet afghan (and never finished it, but it was good for practice). Plus they have instructions for some obscure stitches, if you're feeling adventurous.

I would not wait for Stitch 'n Bitch - if the crochet one is anything like the knitter's guide, the instructions will pretty much leave lefties out. Stitch 'n Bitch (knitting) has only about two sentences on left-handed knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leighjen
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006 09:30:18 AM »

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet[/i] does leave lefties out in the cold:

"For lefties, you can either try and learn to crochet this way, or reverse everything - and I mean everything - in this book"  - page 27 Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medstudentknitter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006 04:51:22 PM »

I use "I  Can't Believe I'm Crocheting!" which is one of those floppy leaflet books that you can buy at places like Joann Fabrics. It has left-handed pictures for everything and gives you the basics. Still, I'm not exactly a big "hooker" and this book is about basics and so lacking inspiration or great projects. It's greatest appeal (aside from having left-hand pictures for everything) is its extremely cheap price ($6.50).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3D Shadows - Final Cut Pro New Features
How to Burn Blu-Rays With FCP 7
how to Install Photoshop CS2 with Wine
How to Touchup Portraits in Photoshop
How to Create Fruit in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...