A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SanDiego, SanFrancisco, LosAngeles  (Read 3487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KleineMutti
« on: January 11, 2006 01:28:55 PM »

hi all,

i'm a neebie here. i have a question - in march 2006 my hubby and i want to go to california (san diego, san francisco and LA).... is there any interesting place which we have to visit? exibition, museum, shop etc. where we can see something about lace making especial bobbin lace??? i'm glad about every answer. ty

petra from germany
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anneli

lars, shamless advertisment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006 06:22:40 PM »

well, I have lived in Northern California all my life so i think I can help! I haven't lived in Berkeley/SF are for about nine years so I know some other people can help you out better, but I'll do the best I can. I currently live Santa Cruz, about 2 hours south of SF, five hours north of LA, on the moneteray bay. Is this going to be a road trip, or are you flying (like SF to LA)? cause either way I suggest you stop by Santa Cruz for a day. if you do hear are some spots.

- SC has a reputation as hippie town, and yes it's true, but there are people hear that do bathe, the main strip is Pacific Avenue, where most of the resturants, shops and movie theaters are.
- Pacific Ave, the downtown, has four movie theaters adjacent to it, Cinema 9, which is you run of the mill, mainstream theater, plus the riverfront which is a two screen theater that gets the extra crap from Cinema 9. Then there are two indie theaters. The Del Mar is a old school theater, that's worth going there just cause the still have a curtain on their screen. and theres the nick, the nickelodean and the del mar are sister theaters, though the nick is much smaller. Between the four theaters, you can see all the recent releases plus a bunch of old school cult films.
- there's also a the riverside drive thru, which also is where the flea market is held every fri, sat, sun
- back to downtown, for a nice coffe shop, try the Attic, which also has a nice tea bar and hosts some really good shows (recently i saw devendra banhart and !!! there) and there's Pergolesi (spelled so wrong) where all the pretentious college hipsters and highschool wannabes sip their soy chai
- thrift stores- moon zoom, can be expensive; salvation army; and incognito are all on pacific, with good will on an off street
- on mission ave theres love me two times,  that s a great store (look for their jim morrison on velvet print!)
-pacific also host american apparel, borders, coldstone, gap, starbuck, peats and bunch of other chains, we even have Urban OUtfitters now (ugh)
- check out the Santa Cruz Book Shop instead of borders
- Streetlight, standard indie record store
- the bead store, a bead store
nothing really great to eat, suggeest goiing to traders joes (grocery store)
and of you have to go the board walk and the mystery spot and the beach

and in SF don't miss
- Haight St (duh) now adays theres a lot of crap, stick to:
Amoeba Music ( the have some good instore shows) best record store
The Wasteland- vintage clothes, can be expensive, but you can find some reallt great stuff, plus it's clean
If you know who Bob Moog is, check out Robot Speak (they have a therimin he signed there!)
Villians has nice shoes
Ardvarks can be cheap, but you have to dig, plus it's grimy and smells funky (in a bad way)
Escape From New York Pizza is tasty
Oh, and theres a few really great crafts stores on haight and i can't remember their names, but you can't miss them

in LA : Melrose Ave, is the la equvelent of Haight, some great stuff, with lots of crap
- The Wasteland, same as in SF, Only HUGE

Huge Amoeba in Sunset
good vegan eats at TOI on sunset

and stuff, sorry for the REALLY long post, hope it helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jerome
giggedy, giggedy, giggedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006 05:14:05 PM »

This shop is in Berkeley, across the bridge from San Francisco.

http://lacis.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

low_budget_diva
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006 05:03:46 PM »

Petra,

You might want to check out this thread for ideas of places to check out in the Bay Area:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74718.0

I know also if you do a search for la you will find tons of stuff; I did that last time I was going down there and there were many old threads about the la area.

Have fun!

Alexis
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Getting into Hogwarts
How to Make an Underwater Video
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Learn About the Film Noir
10 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big-Screen - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...