A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Collage Help Requested  (Read 1333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2006 01:25:50 AM »

Okies, so while looking for something to read tonight, I discovered my stack of books from University. There are instructor's copies that they gave away (see, hubby and I help his bro as janitor's at the local uni). I have a whole pile of books, all gathered over the past year. So I grab the first one off the top, it being How Humans Evolved (Anthropology).

For the beggining of every 5th chapter, there were awesome bold patterns that filled a page (8.5" x 11"). I cut those out (nothing important on the other side). They will make great backgrounds for photos or what have you. (I can post scans later if anyone is interested in them).

Anyways, there are litterally hundreds of primate pics in the book. All small but very clear. My step dad LOVES primates of all kinds. My idea is to create a poster sized collage of the images. He has too many nick knacks and stuffies, so I thought a poster would be the perfect ellement for him (and too, my mother loves abstract and nature, this would be great).

Now I just need some ideas on how to put it together. What size would be large enough to be a great birthday gift, without being so large that it might warp from the adhesive.

I plan on making it fit together so that the edges of each rectangular or square pic will overlap slightly. I was thinking of cutting out some letters using a great font I have (kind of ancient, but still bold), and having some sort of quote or saying on it. Not sure what, suggestions are welcome Smiley

I want this to look professional and not sloppy. I have until August to get it done, so I have plenty of time, lol. What kind of glue should I use? Also, as this will hang on the wall, should I use something like those large poster sheets you can get in craft/dollar stores, or should I find heavier cardboard (eg from an appliance store)? I would like it to have a glossy coating over the top once it is done, any recommendations?

Oh and this is the cover of the book, if anyone else has used it before:

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pcockey
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006 10:31:06 PM »

Glue sticks work nicely for paper collage, since they're not wet enough to wrinkle the paper, plus you can just put the glue around the edges of the picture. For a glossy coating, maybe decoupage glue or Mod Podge?

I'd probably invest in the heavier cardboard--less worries about anything happening to it, wear and tear around the edges, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love_me

it's better to be looked over than overlooked

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006 08:52:27 PM »

elmers makes this foam-board/poster board stuff. it's about 1/4-inch thick and works wonderfully for collages. i prefer it for anything bigger than a sheet of paper or if i want to to be really sturdy. mod podge works well too. you can buy the glossy coat kind and use it to glue your pictures down and as a gloss. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if wishes were horses, i'd own a ranch
if wishes were carbon monoxide gas, i'd be dead
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006 09:12:33 PM »

Thank you very much! I will look into all these suggestions and will start working soon Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006 07:35:34 AM »

Oh, I love collage.  I would get a brayer absolutely.  This rolling instrument has made my life much better.  Less crinkels and a smooth surface.  Very important.

I like glue sticks and sheets of sticky dots for some papers work well.  Sticky dots are great for large images, making them stick everywhere and not allowing bubles to develope.  Also Mod podge is a great product - but sometimes it is tacky and messy.  Check out threads on Gel Medium.  I'm using a matte finish - but I know they make gloss and high gloss.  I'm new to gel medium - but I've loved it.  no tackyness when your project has dried.

As for building a collage there are some helpful books on generating your design style.  Altered Book Collage, Collage Discovery Workshop, The complete guide to altered imagery : for collage, altered books, artists journals, and more & ockets, pullouts, and hiding places : interactive elements for altered books, memory art, and collage.  I hope this helps and that you enjoy making this creation.

I believe that collage has saved my life.  Or at least, kept me somewhat sane. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 07:38:43 AM »

I use artboard, you can but in art stores in a 3-pack, it's hard, and sturdy, has a finished edge you can leave or wrap the image , it's framable, and fairly cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006 01:49:41 PM »

Thank you both Cheesy I was actually discussing it with my collage-obsessed sister last night, and I mentioned that I may have to just go out and get it laminated. Not sure which would last the longest - thier home is a smoking home, so I would want it protected from that.

I am making notes and slowly picking up the items I will need to get started. I still haven't started cutting the book up, but that will begin once I get home Wink

Thanks again, I greatly appriciate your help and adivce!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 01:53:57 PM »

I think lamination is a bad idea.  I've taken several preservation classes and even if you don't intend this to be artwork that stays in your family for 20 years - the process isn't the best.  Some paper do not hold up well at all, and sometimes it causes materials to pull away from one another causing cracks and bubbles. 

Anyway, just wanted you to know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006 01:56:00 PM »

I've never laminated a collage, but I use a lot of varnish to seal. You coul also frame it with glass for protection. My Mom has framed some of mine quite nicely...she is my Mom! I guess I'm too old for her to just hang them on the fridge, LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006 11:05:13 PM »

Hmm, thanks for the heads up on laminating! I will deffinitely look into framing, although this will be quite large. I know a glass guy who will cut it cheap, and I know another guy who makes frames and other household things. Coolness Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Illustrator and Author Kadir Nelson
Meet Author Shirley Corriher
Benson Bobrick Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
John Carter Cash Wishes He Had This Talent
Swoon Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...